My pet fish at Shaw's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What if the little guy lives. He will be a hit down there. Just the little red grouper and his new found buddy the spotty porcupine fish. Compared to what gets dumped into the ocean everytime it rains around here.......really... what's the worse case scenario......armageddon. The Giant red grouper that has lived off our coast for 150 years is now threataning the enitre west coast ecosystem, now that his life long friend the Spotty porcupine fish has died of natural causes.

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
Wow. To me, scuba diving goes hand in hand with a sense of environmental awareness. When, I see posts like this, I realize that's just not always the case.

Personally, I think this attitude shows quite a bit of arrogance. No one should think they are qualified to introduce a species to a region where it is not native.

Introduced species are never a good thing. Pigs, mongoose, snakes, etc in Hawaii, Zebra mussels in darn near all of our fresh waterways. Japaneese beetles back east. Cane toads in Australia. Etc, etc, etc. The list goes on and on and on. Introducing species is never ever a good thing.

Just my two cents. Not a flame, but I hope others might read this and give it some thought before releasing any plant or animal in a place it doesn't belong.

Gregg

Humbajambafullacramba- I don't know you. But I know Scottfiji and he is a very smart aqua savy, individual. You caught him on a rare day - a three word post- very unusual. He must have been busy or something. You just rolled in and started shooting, aaahhhhh very unwize grasshoper. Maybe next time you will not pounce on the 3 word post.

You can bag on me though, I call them all fish, I don't know diddly.

Jetfixer did you mean --- Bambulance? :)

JDog:
What if the little guy lives. He will be a hit down there. Just the little red grouper and his new found buddy the spotty porcupine fish. Compared to what gets dumped into the ocean everytime it rains around here.......really... what's the worse case scenario......armageddon. The Giant red grouper that has lived off our coast for 150 years is now threataning the enitre west coast ecosystem, now that his life long friend the Spotty porcupine fish has died of natural causes.

While it certainly isn't pollution, as Dr. Bill said it's still not a good idea. There are examples all over the world of species (both animal and plant) that were either introduced with the intent of making things better, or else released into the wild hoping "it's the right thing to do", only for them to breed and take over, decimating local species and throwing whole ecosystems out of balance.

As far as humu....however you pronounce it :wink: I don't think his post was directed at scottfiji (although he did quote him) but more towards the original poster.

scubahorse:
It was not a troll and I am sorry. I don't know how can I make you guys less unhappy. I will report this case to California Department of Fish and Game.
I believe that it was not a troll. I think turning yourself in to the DFG might be a little drastic for what may have simply been an error in judgement.

scubahorse:
I will post some of my research after I got home. I understand all you guys just wanna keep the ocean good, so do I. Good day.
So what happened to the research you were going to post?

Christian

scubahorse:
It was not a troll and I am sorry. I don't know how can I make you guys less unhappy. I will report this case to California Department of Fish and Game.

Scubahorse, I apologize for calling the "T" word. I was hoping to protect the opinions of people that post here, some with degrees in Marine biology, from getting sucked in. Unfortunately we all did. So, that being said, I think turning yourself in to the authorities would be a little extreme. I'd bet there is some sort of fine imposed. I think we should all keep an eye out for him and whoever finds/captures the little guy should get a prize!

Now i got to get back to my experiment, going to let my baby pet alligator loose in the sewer system :wink:

JDog:
Humbajambafullacramba- I don't know you. But I know Scottfiji and he is a very smart aqua savy, individual. You caught him on a rare day - a three word post- very unusual. He must have been busy or something. You just rolled in and started shooting, aaahhhhh very unwize grasshoper. Maybe next time you will not pounce on the 3 word post.

Jdog - thanks for the defense; I hadn't even seen triggerfish's post! But after reading what he wrote, I think triggerfish either replied to the wrong post, or mistakenly thought I was the one who started the thread.

You are right - I was busy, with another thread I started on potential equipment failures at depth, on the basic board.

I think everyone's been a little hard on the poster. I certainly don't think anyone needs to call him a troll. I mean, if he had introduced another fouling tunicate into the environment, I'd say grab a noose. While everyone's intentions are good, and its not a good idea to introduce non-indigenous species, the fact is that one little grouper most likely won't cause a cataclysmic upheavel in the local ecosystems.

Besides, I think its important for people to have a good sense of irony. And what can be more ironic than someone releasing a grouper into an area where all the other grouper species (broomtail, gulf) have been driven to the brink of extinction? I'm sure that little red grouper has been fished, seined, trauled, or speared by now.

Let's just go for a hunt at Shaw's. Once little groupy is shot, or re-captured we can all laugh about this issue experience.

Kyle

So, I guess flushing my goldfish down the toilet is a bad idea??? :flush:

giggle...

scottfiji:
Jdog - thanks for the defense; I hadn't even seen triggerfish's post! But after reading what he wrote, I think triggerfish either replied to the wrong post, or mistakenly thought I was the one who started the thread.

Yep. My bad. Didn't pay enough attention, and thought the OP was saying "It is now." Oops. Sorry for the disturbance. It was the attitude that one would release fish willy-nilly without thought for consequences that bothered me.

Again, very sorry for the misquote.

Gregg

Back
Top Bottom