My pet fish at Shaw's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What? I really didn't expect response like this. First I agree that Freed Pet Fish Threaten Native Species. I called it strawberry since it more colorful than a regular Red grouper (Epinephelus morio) but it is just a red grouper not a coral group. The fish was captured from Mexico. The species is also present in the eastern Pacific Ocean from the Gulf of California to Peru.
http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.cfm?ID=17
Keeping the fish, I use ocean water 100% with a Bio filter. Feed it frozen shirmp.
OK, I was stupid but not that stupid, so please don't call homeland security. I will post some of my research after I got home. I understand all you guys just wanna keep the ocean good, so do I. Good day.

scubahorse:
What? I really didn't expect response like this. First I agree that Freed Pet Fish Threaten Native Species. I called it strawberry since it more colorful than a regular Red grouper (Epinephelus morio) but it is just a red grouper not a coral group. The fish was captured from Mexico. The species is also present in the eastern Pacific Ocean from the Gulf of California to Peru.
http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.cfm?ID=17
Keeping the fish, I use ocean water 100% with a Bio filter. Feed it frozen shirmp.
OK, I was stupid but not that stupid, so please don't call homeland security. I will post some of my research after I got home. I understand all you guys just wanna keep the ocean good, so do I. Good day.

i think they have a word for people like you....troll

If that was a troll, it was a good one.

If it wasnt a troll, I am glad you didnt release an illegal alien into the pacific

scubahorse:
... I called it strawberry since it more colorful than a regular Red grouper (Epinephelus morio) but it is just a red grouper not a coral group.
Ah, ok so that is a fish of a different type.
scubahorse:
... The fish was captured from Mexico. The species is also present in the eastern Pacific Ocean from the Gulf of California to Peru.
Arn't the waters a bit warmer in the Gulf of Mexico and California than our waters up here? It would appear that he is now a bit north of his normal habitat.

scottfiji:
They are now.

Wow. To me, scuba diving goes hand in hand with a sense of environmental awareness. When, I see posts like this, I realize that's just not always the case.

Personally, I think this attitude shows quite a bit of arrogance. No one should think they are qualified to introduce a species to a region where it is not native.

Introduced species are never a good thing. Pigs, mongoose, snakes, etc in Hawaii, Zebra mussels in darn near all of our fresh waterways. Japaneese beetles back east. Cane toads in Australia. Etc, etc, etc. The list goes on and on and on. Introducing species is never ever a good thing.

Just my two cents. Not a flame, but I hope others might read this and give it some thought before releasing any plant or animal in a place it doesn't belong.

Gregg

You know what I hate, and maybe this should go in the Whine and Cheese forum? I hate it when people post a little bit of info about something, leaving it wide open for flame and thunder, and then come back and flame the people who responded to the post. "Oh, I forgot to say...", or "I meant to say...", or "This is what the real story is...", and "Why don't all of you guys just leave me alone!"

BS!

mempilot:
You know what I hate, and maybe this should go in the Whine and Cheese forum? I hate it when people post a little bit of info about something, leaving it wide open for flame and thunder, and then come back and flame the people who responded to the post. "Oh, I forgot to say...", or "I meant to say...", or "This is what the real story is...", and "Why don't all of you guys just leave me alone!"

BS!

It is called a troll...which, in my opinion, is what this person did. Highly annoying.

mempilot:

jetfixer:
It is called a troll...which, in my opinion, is what this person did. Highly annoying.

I don't see anything in Scubahorse's posts that suggest "troll". If so, I could asume he is making fun/reference to the Pufferfish that was spotted at Shaws a few weeks back, but I don't read that into his posting. It appears he did something that wasn't too enviromentally friendly and not well thought out. Post your thoughts on the SUBJECT not the person. You can't change what happened but you could educate by talking about it.

Since both of you have taken the time to post relpys that I would classify as equally "troll"-worthy, I might as well jump in. Stop trying to take a personal interest in the ownership of a thread or a forum. If you don't agree, don't reply. If you find it annoying, don't relpy. If you find it annoying and want to reply, go ahead. If you want to reply to stir up conversation, go ahead. Have fun with the board. I personally find it annoying when I see 10 post with "Troll". I keep coming back though, because it really doesn't matter what I feel.

Original Post by Scubahorse – “After weeks of reserch, I decided to free my pet fish "Shao", a 5 inch length Strawberry Grouper. I released it at Shaw's Cove tonight. I hope it live well around the reef.”

2nd Post by Scubahorse - “I called it strawberry since it more colorful than a regular Red grouper (Epinephelus morio) but it is just a red grouper not a coral group.”

This would have been nice to know info in the first post that would have kept the flaming down. Instead, they waited for the flame and then came back with…

Scubahorse – “OK, I was stupid but not that stupid, so please don't call homeland security. I will post some of my research after I got home. I understand all you guys just wanna keep the ocean good, so do I. Good day.”

So, if we were originally supposed to believe that Scubahorse spent weeks doing research, then we should believe it was a Strawberry Grouper, not a Red Grouper.

This was a troll, because if they didn’t intend it to be, they would have apologized for providing misleading information to begin with.

Thank you O Keeper of the Troll.

PS. I did have something to say contributing to the topic prior to the troll being uncovered. Go back and read all the posts.

hermosadive:
I don't see anything in Scubahorse's posts that suggest "troll". If so, I could asume he is making fun/reference to the Pufferfish that was spotted at Shaws a few weeks back, but I don't read that into his posting. It appears he did something that wasn't too enviromentally friendly and not well thought out. Post your thoughts on the SUBJECT not the person. You can't change what happened but you could educate by talking about it.

Since both of you have taken the time to post relpys that I would classify as equally "troll"-worthy, I might as well jump in. Stop trying to take a personal interest in the ownership of a thread or a forum. If you don't agree, don't reply. If you find it annoying, don't relpy. If you find it annoying and want to reply, go ahead. If you want to reply to stir up conversation, go ahead. Have fun with the board. I personally find it annoying when I see 10 post with "Troll". I keep coming back though, because it really doesn't matter what I feel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom