My PADI Open Water Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dubious

Contributor
Reaction score
I thought I would take the time to share my personal experience doing the PADI Open water class. I will break it up a bit so it isn't just one big lump of text.

BEFORE THE CLASS

My journey started when my wife and I book our first trip out of the states for our 10th anniversary. We were not looking for a dive vacation, but after settling on a resort that included free scuba for certified divers, the spark was reignited in me to get certified. After reading these forums, I realized that finding the right dive shop to do our open water class would not be as simple as I thought. I went to several dive shops to talk to the shops about getting certified. While it is completely subjective, I ended up going with a dive shop where one of the instructors happened to be in. He showed me a photo book of his dive trips. HIs passion and excitement are what made this dive store stand out. In hindsight, I now realize that I only spoke to salespeople at the other dive shops and didn't give them a fair chance.

I paid for the full open water course at the dive shop and was handed the PADI plastic zipper folder with the manual, log book, PADI personnel folder, and several flyers about buying gear from the store, student discount, and I think something about used gear. I was also told there was a code in the folder to play with a dive computer simulator.

I briefly looked at the items and then wrapped them up as a Christmas present to myself and wife.

When my wife and I finally pulled out the material for the class, we were both overwhelmed with the amount of content. The dive shop instructed us to read the entire manual and answer all of the section quizzes before the Friday night class. We were also instructed to watch all of the section video content which was also provided.

As my wife and I went through all of the material, we felt that it would have been much better to take a class that covered a section at a time. We found it strange that we not only read about theory but also watched videos about the water skills we would need to complete. We found it even stranger that the manual and videos build off of each other. It seemed to us that the class was meant to be completed over several weekends instead of one.

Since I was curious, I also used the dive computer simulator which was completely pointless. I thought I would be able to play with the computer, but instead, it was all scripted. Not much of a simulator and in my opinion a missed opportunity.

BUYING PERSONAL ITEMS

This dive shop required us to buy our personal items for the class. My dad left me some old scuba pro jet fins. We also found some never used rocket fins for my wife for $10.00. My wife already had a dive mask and I bought a prescription dive mask with a snorkel from SeaVision. That just left buying booties for myself and a snorkel for my wife.

I was underwhelmed by this shopping trip. Maybe it has to do with the lack of choices. I ended up with the manta boots by Aqualung and my wife bought an echozip ergo boot. A lot of this had to do with the sizes that were available. Hard to compare boots in sizes that don't fit.

THE CLASSROOM

I am not sure what we were expecting for the classroom section. Maybe our expectations were too high. The instructor I talked with originally was not the instructor for the class. In fact, this was the first class our instructor was teaching as the lead instructor. You could tell. He got off topic easily and even got some of the questions wrong when going over our book quiz answers.

In the end, the classroom work seemed completely pointless to us. Nothing fun about going through each section quiz question one answer at a time. While a few of our fellow students had some questions, in the end, I am not sure the point of it was besides taking the quizzes and final exam, both of which were easy. That said, I must admit I got one wrong on the exam. I put a diver must be within 100 feet of a dive flag when it is 50. Boaters need to stay at least 100 feet away from dive flag. Oh well. My wife was happy since she also got one wrong. Everything is a competition with her.

To Be Continued.....

CONFINED WATER DIVES 1-3 (Day 1)

We were with a different instructor for the confined water dives since the class was too large for just one instructor. We ended up with an instructor who was a master certified instructor. In all honesty, I am not sure what that means, but he seemed much more relaxed.

We got our scuba rig ready. Our instructor showed us how our buddy (my wife) may help get the rig on each other. We moved into the pool. Before we knew it he told us to deflate our BCD and sit on the bottom. This was both entertaining and somewhat terrifying. None of us could sit on the bottom. We all kept falling backward. The youngest diver had to be helped to her knees. Our instructor called it turtling. I am not sure that is a technical term but it makes sense. Once we got settled he singled up.

On the next decent we were to do a partial mask flood. I had done it before in a pool at home and was not too concerned. I did not have any issues with the partial mask flood. I was not ready for the full mask flood. For whatever reason, I swallowed a lot of water and coughed a lot into my regulator (poor rental). I am not sure really what happened. But I managed to get my mask clear and moved on. My wife had no problems at all.

It wasn't until halfway through the first night of pool dives that we finally did a weight check. I found this odd based on what I read here. Our tanks were not even close to 500 psi nor were they full. I knew I was overweighted even before we did our first decent, but our instructor had everyone put weight into our weight pockets. I was wearing my halycon steel backplate with a 3mm wetsuit. The divemaster (or is it assistant instructor) who was helping was also wearing an aluminum backplate. He asked how much weight I had on me. I told him our instructor handed me 6 pounds but I thought I would be overweighted with just the backplate. Sure enough, after removing the weight from the weight pockets I was still too heavy. Good thing I removed the weight from the STA.

When we moved to the diving well the first night, I was surprised at how hard buoyancy was. Most of the class struggled except the youngest diver. Before we descended, our instructor walked us through what we were going to do. The goal was to do the fin pivot. He said he would work with each of us individually until we got it and asked us to remain at the bottom until it was our turn. My wife and I were last, so we were checking our air supply but before we knew it the entire class was just floating around. Either practicing signaling our air supply took longer than we thought, or our instructor lost control of the class underwater. In either case, my wife and I did not have a chance for the instructor to work with us much at all. Maybe that was the problem. I barely managed the fin pivot while everyone else was moving around.

After the fin pivot, our instructor singled us to swim around the diving well. This was chaotic. My wife and I stayed together but everyone else seemed to have left their buddy. There were divers everywhere including 8 divers with the other instructor. The youngest diver had her mask knocked off by someone's fin, but she managed to get it back on and cleared it. Then our instructor singled us up. It wasn't until we surfaced he reminded everyone they should stay with their buddy.

We did several other skills that night, but after several hours in the pool, I was cold and tired. I was also not really caring for the instructor, especially when I asked about rinsing gear. He told us there was no need.

My wife and I had a lot to talk about our first day in the pool, but I was feeling a little uneasy. Diving was tough. I was questioning if I was going to like diving and regretting buying some gear before even getting in the water. That all changed the next day,

CONFINED WATER DIVES 4-5 (Day 2)

The second day, after doing the 200-meter swim (I didn't realize how out of shape I am) and the 10-minute float, we were back in our gear. This time, things moved much smoother. I was finally able to control my buoyancy. It was more enjoyable all around.

I will admit, I was concerned when we had to swim without our mask on and then put it back on after returning from the diving well. I am glad my buoyancy control went better because I think that skill would have been much harder if I was flailing around. In the end, it was easy. Doing the CESA was also easy though I forgot to make an audible noise initially even though I was releasing small bubbles. He must have seen it since he passed me on the skill.

I had a little trouble removing my bc underwater. It wasn't hard to get it off or even on, but the weight belt the instructor handed me underwater to keep us down got stuck on my crotch strap. I am curious why we would use a weight belt for the skill. I won't have one when diving so the practice seems somewhat pointless. I would have much preferred to try the skill with just my bcd since that is all I will have when diving.

My wife was the first to be low on air. I think this had to do with small bubbles coming from her tank. Our instructor said he learned in Thailand "little bubbles no troubles" when we asked about it the first time we got into the pool that morning. My wife's hoses also kept hitting the shoulder release valve on the rental BCD she was wearing. In either case, he told her she could grab the last tank. After a short bathroom and warming up (I was cold) break my wife and I hopped back into the pool for more practice. Everyone else except the youngest diver got out.

There was a lot to learn and we came a long way from that first day. Both my wife and I were excited about the trips to come.

LOG BOOK and RETURNING GEAR

So after the pool dives, we drove back to the LDS to return our gear and fill out our log books. I was once again disappointed that we were told there was no need to rinse our gear after being in the pool. I rinsed off the wetsuit I rented in the shower. I did rinse my own gear when I got home. I am not sure why this was not covered. Maybe/hopefully they will talk more about it when we do our open water dives.

When filling our log books, I was a little concerned that some of the skills were lumped together (or so we were told). It sounds like this may be common practice in some shops. I can see where some skills go well together, but others not so much. I think I might be more diligent with the open water dives in making sure we cover everything and that I am fully aware of what I am doing.

All of that said, my wife told me she is ready to dive lake Michigan after doing our open water check out dives. This shocked me since she was not the most excited about this new hobby. I will say, this does seem like a great hobby for spouses to do together.

Open water dives will be this weekend at pearl lake, South Beloit, IL

OPEN WATER DIVES

(will add after doing them this weekend)

What part of wi are you in? I’m in Madison, and we just finished ow class in March. Our ow dives are next weekend!

What part of wi are you in? I’m in Madison, and we just finished ow class in March. Our ow dives are next weekend!

Fond du Lac. Part of me wishes I would have checked out the shops in Madison but they were all over an hour away which was the cutoff I initially made. We might hook up with Madison scuba to do some of their Tuesday Night Adventure Dives. The greater Milwaukee area shop we went with only goes out once a month.

Awesome. We are going with Diversions. Good luck on your dives this weekend!! Hope to see you around town diving soon! :)

Awesome. We are going with Diversions. Good luck on your dives this weekend!! Hope to see you around town diving soon! :)

I will have to check out that shop the next time I am in Madison. It looks like they also do several fun dives to devils lake. Our goal is to get 10 non-training dives in before we go on our trip. While this is less important to my wife, I want to be as comfortable as I can be in Jamaica. We did book our advanced open water for July with our dive shop. We will be doing those dives in Wazee Lake. We might try to hit fortune pond in September in the UP. The hard thing for us is finding someone to watch our kids.

Did you wear a hood and gloves in the pool? If not, you are most likely going to be surprised about just how challenging it will be when you add a thicker suit and cold water.

Did you wear a hood and gloves in the pool? If not, you are most likely going to be surprised about just how challenging it will be when you add a thicker suit and cold water.

I did not. I will be wearing a Henderson hooded semi-dry I picked up used. I will also have gloves.

Is it the buoyancy that will be tougher and/or a movement issue. I definitely felt more confined in that semi-dry when I tried it on.

Back
Top Bottom