My PADI Open Water Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I want to first say that I had a great time, even with the negatives. My wife sees things a little differently. She tells me I need to relax and just have fun. I am the type of person that really prefers to work on a skill until I have it down. I would rather walk for a month learning the terrain instead of running after a weekend.

For instance, our class was dive computer only, so we did not learn the tables. That said we did not learn about the rental dive computers (or any computers) we would be using. When I asked about it he said there isn’t much to know. I Decided to read the manual online for myself. Was it simple? Yes. Did I learn something about how the computer functions? Of course.
I am the same way about getting skills down pat. I am glad I took the standard course back in 2005 that was 3 weeks of Tues. & Thurs. nights classroom/pool prior to the checkout dives weekend. Having assisted on the "2 weekend" courses, I think I would have found it to be an awful lot of material to be covered in a short time. The 3 week thing gave me time in between to think about what I did and what was upcoming. Same amount of time, but more spaced out.

My wife and I just got back to the hotel after dives 1 and 2. Water was 49 degrees according to my dive computer. It was great but....

My new dive rite xt regulator set (from a member here via eBay) free flowed at 30 feet while doing regulator recovery skill. I was already blowing my bubbles for the skill but when the regulator just kept flowing air And the instructor couldn’t get it to stop I began to panic. I tried to “sip” the air but couldn’t make it happen. There was so many bubbles it was hard to see instructor. I panicked and swam to the service.

Tank empty, I swam to shore, grabbed new tank and the rental regulator I also brought and got back into the water to finish the required skills.

I will give more details once we get back home tomorrow after dives 4 and 5.

OPEN WATER DIVES

(will add after doing them this weekend)

DAY 1 DIVE 1

My wife and I arrived on Saturday morning to do our first two check-out dives. We were both excited and a bit afraid. I was mostly afraid of being too cold, seeing I was cold in the pool with 3mm. My wife was more worried about not seeing the bottom.

Our class was supposed to have 9 divers, but we quickly learned 4 canceled. It was me, my wife, two junior divers, and one other adult. We put our kit together. My wife was using all rental gear except for personal items (mask, snorkel, booties, and fins). I brought my halcyon infinity, dive rite xt open water package (assembled and inspected by my LDS before the class), my new aqualung I300c, new 5mm gloves, and a barely used Henderson hooded semi-dry via eBay.

After a briefing of what we were going to do for the first dive, we were surface swimming to the float. My wife had a look of panic while swimming out to the float. I grabbed her hand in support. The first skill we were going to work on was a partial mask flood and clear. The platform was around 35 feet underwater with a temperature of 49 degrees Fahrenheit. My wife and I were the first ones down with the instructor. There was a second instructor at the surface. We waited almost 10 minutes before two of the younger divers made it down. The 5th never came down. Our instructor had us do our partial mask clear which did not give my wife and I any problem. One of the junior divers was unable to do the skill and went to the surface. Our instructor had us all return to the service where we sat for 15 minutes. We learned the 5th diver couldn’t clear her ears and was back on shore.

We descended back down to do a few other skills including regulator recovery. I was the first person to do the regulator recovery skill. I took a breath removed my regulator. When I put it towards the side, it began to free flow. I first thought it was just releasing air and could be remedied by orienting the mouthpiece down and putting my finger against it, but it did not stop. My instructor grabbed it and tried the same with no luck. I then went for my secondary which instantly began to free flow as well. At this point, I was beginning to panic. My secondary was on a necklace and all of the air bubbles were causing it hard to see anything. By this point, I had been blowing bubbles (as we are taught) for some time and realized I didn’t have any more air to blow out. I tried to put my free-flowing primary regulator into my mouth partially to “sip” the air as I learned in the confined water dives, but had no luck. (Much easier in the pool when it is planned). The only thing I thought I could do in that given moment was going to the surface. Let’s just call it a CESA. By the time I got to the surface, there was no air in my steel 80, so I manually inflated my BCD.

The other instructor asked if I was alright. I told her my regulator free flowed. I am not sure if this computed right away. When the rest of the students and instructor came to the surface, he told the other instructors that both my primary and secondary free flowed. I swam to the shore. I was asked if I wanted to go back out. At this moment, I knew I needed to suck it up and get back out. If I didn’t, I am not sure I would have finished the checkout dives. A third instructor onshore grabbed a new cylinder. I grabbed the rental regulator I also brought along and got back into the water.

DAY 1 DIVE 2
The second instructor took me and my wife for what would be Dive 2. She planned to get me caught up with the skills I missed in dive 1. The regulator recovery was no problem this time around. One of the skills for dive two was a full mask flood. I was concerned about the full mask flood, but as with the partial mask flood, both my wife and I were able to complete the skill with no troubles.
I had a bit of trouble with buoyancy in the confined water dives. It really wasn’t until the end of day two of the confined water dives that I began to see some progress. We had to complete a fin pivot via low-pressure inflation. For whatever reason, I had no problem completing this skill. I was the first one to do the skill so I had time to practice moving via my breath. It still amazes me how much the air we hold in our lungs affects buoyancy.

When it came to practicing an out of air situation, I began to feel some panic set in. I had to take a few calming breaths before removing my regulator and taking my wife’s secondary air source. The ascent seemed slow. By the time we got to the surface, there was a strong wind. This made orally inflating the BCD a bit harder. Once done, we went back down with our instructor and now it was my wife’s turn to be out of air. I must admit, I was bummed at this point about not having my regulator set since I would be donating my primary and switching to the alternate hanging from my neck. I give my wife my secondary and we ascended to the service. Our instructor thought I moved a little too fast even though my computer alarm nor the instructor’s computer alarm beeped. I think the aqualungs are set at 33 feet /minute well within PADI’s standards.

By the time we were about to do the last couple of skills and underwater exploring, both of the younger drivers were shivering. One went back to the shore while the other wanted to continue. For whatever reason, this time I had troubles with my buoyancy during the swim when we got shallower. I tried to release air but apparently, my inflator hose was not high enough. One thing I noticed regarding my halcyon inflator hose compared to the rentals is that the inflator hose is very short. The instructor told me that all I need to do is turn my left shoulder up a bit.

DAY 2

I had troubles sleeping the night of dive 1 and 2. The free flow experience just kept going through my mind. When it wasn’t about the fear I had when it happened, it was me kicking myself for not reaching for my wife’s secondary right away. My wife and I had discussed the situation. She felt bad that she didn’t hand me her secondary. Apparently, the other students where all in shock and confused about what was happening. I was less enthusiastic to get to the quarry.

Due to the low numbers in our AM group, the PM class was asked to join the AM class for dive 3 and 4. The PM class only had three divers, so we were still not as I high as were supposed to be on day 1. The student who couldn’t clear her ears dive 1 did not return, so this left us with 7 students.

Day 2 did not start out well. One of the junior divers forgot his fins. Another diver forgot her snorkel. A different junior diver did not have a compass on their rental counsel (oversight by LDS). Luckily (maybe not so much) I had the XS scuba compass I bought since my personal regulator did not have a counsel on it. Since I was using the rental regulator I had no need for it, I loaned it to the student.

DIVE 3

The first thing we had to do was a surface swim via a compass. This turned out to be a lot harder for me than doing compass navigation on land. For the life of me, I could not swim in a straight line. I am not sure if it has to do with my fins (old jet fins from my dad that I have troubles kicking with), the wind, or if it was something else. My wife on the other hand, who was really worried about the navigation part had no troubles. She was the first to the float. After one course correction, I was the third to the float. I think we waited at least 10 minutes before the others arrived.

For the first decent one of the instructors was going to work with two students who failed the partial and full mask flood. The other instructor was going to have 4 of us do full mask removal, fin pivot with oral inflate, and underwater compass. The instructor started having us do our oral inflate fin pivot as the others descended. Three of us did it before the fourth made it down. I am still not sure when this skill would be used? The other instructor came down with his two students last. Our instructor looked at him confused. We were also confused since our group was missing one. Our instructor singled us up. We went up and learned that one of the students was having troubles equalizing. She was already on the shore when we returned to the surface.

Once everything was straightened out, we went back down to complete the full mask removal and underwater compass swim. My full mask removal went ok. I took my time and got it back on and cleared the mask. Our instructor moved to the next person. As we were waiting, I had a slow leak in my mask. I couldn’t keep it dry. Trying to do the underwater compass swim turned out to be difficult for me. I am going to blame my mask since it kept flooding making it hard for me to see the compass. I also had to keep stopping to clear it which just threw off everything. After a few tries, I completed the skill and it was time to surface. It turned out my hood was slight under the skirt of the mask. No-one notice underwater.

We waited for the other instructor and students. The last skill we needed to do for this dive was a CESA before doing underwater exploration. The cesa took forever. We were on the surface so long that my dive computer logged dive 3 as two separate dives. Doing the CESA was no problem.

The underwater exploration swim was not fun for me. My wife and I were behind the other students following a rope to one of the sunken vessels. We kept what I estimate 4 feet between the two divers in front of us. Everyone was kicking up the bottom so visibility was horrible. The new instructor was behind us. He kept pulling on us as if we were not keeping up. I will admit my wife and I got a little low to the bottom which I tried to adjust with my inflator, but at one point the instructor grabbed my inflator and proceeded to add air which caused me to rise too high. I did manage to release some air before getting too high.

Dive 4

The final dive is one we planned. In hindsight, I wish we would have planned it differently. I also wished we had new tanks. We were all using the same tank from dive 3 and I was down to only 1500 psi. My wife and the other student were at 1700 and 1800. We planned to explore some boats until I hit 1000. We would then ascend to a 15’ for safety stop before doing our controlled ascent. While I would have loved to dive longer, this dive only lasted 10 minutes before I hit 1000 PSI. We had three members in our team with one instructor. The other member was already very cold, so the shorter dive worked out well for her.

We first surfaced swam to the float. By now the wind picked up, so the swim was much more challenging than earlier. We all had to catch our breath at the float. We planned to free descent to a platform and then move towards a couple of sunken boats. We all had troubles ascending. I think I needed to exhale longer. Descending took way too much effort and I think that ate into my 500 PSI I had before turning the dive.

The boats were in about 20’ of water. When we did our safety stop at 15 feet my wife and the other diver kicked up a lot of sediment. My wife was below me about 2 feet. I think I kicked up a little as well but was able to trim myself out. Visibility dropped to a level in which we could hardly see each other. I grabbed my wife’s hand since I know visibility is her greatest concern. She was thankful I did. We waited for 3 minutes and then completed our ascent. When we surfaced, there was clearly a storm rolling in. The wind really picked up. Our instructor had my wife and I quickly remove and replace our bcd in the water. We swam to the shore with the other team. Before long, the storm rolled in and brought pouring rain with some lightning. I guess the short dive worked out for the best.

Swimming to shore I started to feel sick. It felt like motion sickness (the way I feel when swinging on a swing with my kids or scrolling to fast on the computer). I felt even worse while in the shallow water getting my fins off and climbing up to shore. I think it was a combination of the water movement and restriction from my hood. When I sat down with my BCD, I felt even more restriction around my neck. As soon as I got out of the BCD, removed my hood and sat down for a bit I began to feel better. One of my instructors asked if I was alright and I explained how I was feeling. It took about an hour to feel back to normal. It took about 3 hours to warm up.

CONCLUSION

I am glad we completed the open water certification but I will need many more dives to start to feel confident in most of the skills. We are signed up for advanced open water (was a package deal) in July, but we may need to push that out further.

I wish we would have spent more time on many of the skills. In the end, I felt we were being rushed through each skill for a check-off box instead of focusing on training good divers. Once again, I am not sure this is even possible with how PADI is structured. That said, as noted before, I am the type who prefers to master a given skill before moving on even if it means taking much longer to finish.

If I would have to do it all over again, I would have taken more time to meet the actual instructors who would be teaching the class. As you may recall, I chose this LDS because I spoke to one of the instructors. That instructor was not involved with our class at all.

Agree. Especially using baby shampoo to rinse out the inside of the BC. I have found almost no one talks about this.
Well, this is the first I've heard about this. Can you give us a quick rundown?

Sounds like a pretty mixed experience, but at least you pushed through it so congrats!

It will become easier as you continue to dive.

I only have 15 dives under my belt, and 3 of those were when I did 3/4 OW certification dives before I got super sick and could not finish, 4 more were my OW dives i completed, and 5 were the AOW dives.

By my second set of OW dives, I felt A LOT more comfortable in the water, just after that short time. And by the end of my AOW dives, I felt even more comfortable, to the point that I can use my breath to move up/down in the water. The way you describe yourself is very similar to how I would describe myself, as far as wanting to be a perfectionist with skills and you actually concentrate on doing skills and advancing your skills in a careful manner. And because you will always be trying to improve, I'm betting it will happen quicker than you are expecting.

Also keep in mind, the AOW dives are a lot more "fun" than the OW dives. They are way more like "real" dives than the OW ones were. You will have a blast on them. I did my OW and AOW dives over a 3 day period (3 dives a day, were supposed to do 4 one day but it was canceled because no night dive due to weather).

Then my first dive since i was OW certified was last weekend in the Keys. I was psyching myself out like a day prior and was nervous thinking about it. But when I got on the boat and met the DM that was going to be my buddy, I started to feel more comfortable. Then within like 5 seconds in the water, all the nervousness was gone, and then a 6ft shark swam by and it was incredible. Even on this dive I could tell I improved on my skills including buoyancy and my breathing.

Your breathing will improve too. You just have to focus on it. During my OW dives and most of my AOW dives I was the first to run out air. I'm a bigger guy so I chalked it up to that. THen on the last dive my instructor told me to focus on my breathing and relax, and he wanted me to come back with no less than 800psi. I ended up coming back with 1300psi and he was super happy. On my dives last week, I came back with 1100 and 900 I believe, but those dives were like 50 and 44 minutes.

Just keep with it and keep practicing and you will be fine!

Just keep with it and keep practicing and you will be fine!

Thank you for the reply. It is very helpful to hear your experience. How was the deep dive when you did it for AOW?

Thank you for the reply. It is very helpful to hear your experience. How was the deep dive when you did it for AOW?
The deep dive we went down to 100 feet. I wouldn't have known we were that deep if my computer didn't start beeping, and I looked at it and we were at 102. The instructor asked us a simple math question and we had to answer it down there just so he could see if anyone was experiencing gas narcosis, and as he expected, no one was. I'm talking a 1+2 question and I answered with 3 lol. He also brought down a full beach ball and it was pretty neat to physically see the ball have 1/4 the air in it yet it was still pulling up and felt heavy.

I was a bit nervous doing that dive prior. As mentioned before, I was kind of psyching myself out. The decent was along a rope that took us down to like 50ft, and it was flat then we swam over to a wall that started to drop off. It was not as eerie as I expected it to be to look into the deep blue below. It was very neat though for sure.

The day before I had done a wreck dive that was down 65-70 feet, and again before that one I was a bit nervous and kind of psyching myself out. But just as with the deep dive, as soon as I saw the ship and was down there, it all went away very quickly. Doing a swim through of the ship was a bit nerve racking but we all did one. I did get a bit disoriented because the ship was angled like 45 degrees and we swam into a room then out the steam pipe. And just not being horizontal threw me off a little, but it quickly went away.

I took some videos and posted them in my thread of my deep dive, wreck dive, and fish ID dive when we did a few swim throughs on a reef. If you are interested, they are in this post here:

My OW certification checkout dives didn't go so well unfortunately.

Take it from someone who was a bit anxious/nervous before all of the AOW dives, that you will be just fine and will enjoy ever part of it. It's awesome! And your nerves will probably quickly go away once you are down there and in awe of it all.

@Dubious,

I assure you, this will be read by many instructors. It is not easy for us to put ourselves in the positions of the new diver and see through their eyes. Your writeup does help do that.

I think you came to the right place to get information that will accelerate your skills growth. In general, my recommendation is to take UTD Essentials, GUE fundies as your next course, or @The Chairman's buoyancy course.

I'll leave you with a few notes that I've written that you might find useful here: https://www.facebook.com/pg/ThavmasScuba/notes/. Maybe you'd also find the dive planning doc I wrote. It isn't targeted to your area, but hopefully you find some concepts useful. Good luck and stay wet!

Attachments

• Dive Planning for Open Water StudentsV2_01.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 98
Well, this is the first I've heard about this. Can you give us a quick rundown?
I heard it somewhere years ago. Made sense to me, since salt water always gets inside and is a big problem on the outside if it dries. I suppose if you dive often the inside would always be moist (and will probably be whether you clean it out or not)--unless you maybe don't dive for a year?
First I drain out as much of the salt water as possible (inflate a couple of times, dump, etc.). Then a bit of baby shampoo in the inflator and a ton of fresh water. Shake all different ways and dump out several times. Then I lay it down so the remaining water will gravitate to the LPI and empty it again the next day or 2. Same BC I bought used in 2005, so I guess it works.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom