My new dry suit...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad you had a good time out here. Damn your buddy is nuts swimming out here without a hood? Last dive for me to Avalon the water was 50. A buddy was always griping about how he hates to wear a hood tried a dive without it, that was his last dive of the day. The next day he wore the hood and didnt make a sound about wearing...hehehe

BlueDolphin:
Mike....

What camera set up are you using for your photos?

I use an Olympus 4040z in a Light and Motion Tetra Housing with a Sea and Sea YS-90 DX strobe. I am VERY happy with this setup.

One of the things about using an underwater housing is that it "locks" you into a particular camera, since you are spending many times the cost of the camera on the housing. Digital cameras are upgraded pretty frequently, and with the cost dropping, topside photographers tend to replace their cameras from time to time. But you can't do that with an underwater rig, since the housing tends to be made for just one specific camera.

The 4040z is now four years old, and it is STILL better in most ways than anything else out there (except maybe the 5050z). And the reason for this is the lens. For some reason, Olympus put a fantastic, VERY fast 1.8 lens in these, something that I can't find on any modern camera. What this means is that for topside photography, you get amazing shots. I have a digital SLR (Canon EOS 10 D) which is great for some things, but for an all around camera, I still take the 4040.

One of the great myths of digital cameras is the obsession with megapixels. The manufacturers use this to get people to buy new cameras, and people just starting out will use this as the primary consideration when shopping. The lens is by FAR more important. Sure, you want at least a 4 MP camera for most situations, since you might want the occasional 8x10 print or a close crop. But for the vast majority of situations (normal prints or online display) spending a lot for more megapixels just gets you a more expensive camera that makes images that take up lots of hard drive space to store and back up (which becomes an issue when you start taking thousands of them over time...).

Long answer to a short question! Hah! :)

David P:
Glad you had a good time out here. Damn your buddy is nuts swimming out here without a hood? Last dive for me to Avalon the water was 50. A buddy was always griping about how he hates to wear a hood tried a dive without it, that was his last dive of the day. The next day he wore the hood and didnt make a sound about wearing...hehehe

Yeah, actually it wasn't all that cold (late September, water temp was probably at it's peak)... lots of people diving wetsuits. My buddy in those pictures was an instructor at one of the local dive shops.

How did it go on your suit?

I purchased a DC suit similar to yours, and I experienced the exact same problem. Let us know if you had success in getting your suit to fit.

I ended up going with a different suit. A DUI. I have complete mobility in my DUI suits (actually have two of them now).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom