My new dry suit...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doctormike

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi...

Just wanted to bounce this off some of the more experienced divers. My custom Diving Concepts dry suit just arrived (Very exciting! Heading to LA tomorrow and will hit the kelp beds off Catalina Island).

It seems a little snugger than the DUI suits that I have rented in the past (XXL), but not really tight at all overall. I think that this will be even better in terms of streamlining, etc.. I have the Whites undergarments, which looks and fits great.

I have only one concern. I can't lift my knees as high as I might have been able to do with the other suits that I have used in the past. Interestingly, I can squat down all the way to the ground without any problem, but the suit does prevent me from lifting my knees up to, say, 90 degrees.

Is this likely to be a problem? Is this something that I might expect in a custom suit that is cut to be a close fit? I don't think that I'll have a problem diving in it, but it would seem that now would be the time to bring it up.

One more thing- I got the measurments done and ordered the suit through a local dive shop (literally on my block!). I really like these guys, but it is a new shop, and they told me that I was their first such sale (they had both worked elsewhere before setting up their own shop). I don't want to make any trouble, since I plan on diving with them in the future, so if this is a non-issue, I would just drop it (especially since it probably won't affect my diving). But if there is a problem with this, I don't want to forget about it ($1800 is a lot of money!).

What do you think?

Mike

Whether your suit is a shell, or a neoprene, you should always have full range of motion in a custom suit. You should be able to squat down and sit on the back of your heels. One of the biggest problems with custom dry suits is that they must be properly measured for. The slightest mis measurement, especially in a streamlined suit, can cause a problem. We as manufacturers can only go by the measurements sent to us. Most manufacturers are very understanding if they need to add a couple inches in the inseam or sleeves. I suggest going back to you LDS and having them re measure you inseam.

USIA:
Whether your suit is a shell, or a neoprene, you should always have full range of motion in a custom suit. You should be able to squat down and sit on the back of your heels. One of the biggest problems with custom dry suits is that they must be properly measured for. The slightest mis measurement, especially in a streamlined suit, can cause a problem. We as manufacturers can only go by the measurements sent to us. Most manufacturers are very understanding if they need to add a couple inches in the inseam or sleeves. I suggest going back to you LDS and having them re measure you inseam.

Thanks! I really do have full range of motion (I can squat and sit on my heels) with that one exception (lifting my knees while standing). I didn't realize that it was possible to "add a couple of inches" to a custom suit. How would they do that? Would they basically have to rebuild the whole bottom section?

I'm leaving this afternoon, and I don't have time to go back to the store. Interestingly, I'm going from New York to LA, which is where Diving Concepts is located! Would that be inappropriate to ask if I could just stop by the factory and have them check it out? I guess they could always alter it after I dove it, right..? It's not like they are just going to swap out the suit for another, and don't want to take back a used suit...!

Mike

Mike,

Just curious - what is the name of the shop. I used to live in NY and my parents still do. Might have to check them out next time I am in town

Thanks
Eric

ericfine50:
Mike,

Just curious - what is the name of the shop. I used to live in NY and my parents still do. Might have to check them out next time I am in town

Thanks
Eric

Well, I really didn't want to post the name of the shop just yet, since I might be off base here! I didn't want to imply that there was anything wrong with the fitting if I wasn't sure... they seem like very nice guys, and they have been really helpful to me in the past. Have bought a bunch of other stuff there, and my son did his open water certification with them...

That is cool - if you want, PM it to me. Just cuirous. Always like to check out new stores

Thanks

doctormike:
Thanks! I really do have full range of motion (I can squat and sit on my heels) with that one exception (lifting my knees while standing). I didn't realize that it was possible to "add a couple of inches" to a custom suit. How would they do that? Would they basically have to rebuild the whole bottom section?

I'm leaving this afternoon, and I don't have time to go back to the store. Interestingly, I'm going from New York to LA, which is where Diving Concepts is located! Would that be inappropriate to ask if I could just stop by the factory and have them check it out? I guess they could always alter it after I dove it, right..? It's not like they are just going to swap out the suit for another, and don't want to take back a used suit...!

Mike

USIA does factory tours all the time for customers. They seem to really enjoy all of the military products we make. We have customers come down every once in a while to have an alteration, but we always okay it with their LDS first. I don't know the guys at Divers Concepts real well, but I know Susan Long and the gang at DUI are real good about taking care of customers. Other dry suit companies are so secretive, they make people sign a confidentiality agreement just to walk in the door! I'm serious. It wouldn't hurt to call your LDS and ask them to call Divers Concepts. Hope this helps.

USIA:
USIA does factory tours all the time for customers. They seem to really enjoy all of the military products we make. We have customers come down every once in a while to have an alteration, but we always okay it with their LDS first. I don't know the guys at Divers Concepts real well, but I know Susan Long and the gang at DUI are real good about taking care of customers. Other dry suit companies are so secretive, they make people sign a confidentiality agreement just to walk in the door! I'm serious. It wouldn't hurt to call your LDS and ask them to call Divers Concepts. Hope this helps.

OK... I just figured that since I was going to be there, it would be OK...

Maybe I'll call them and ask what to do..

doctormike:

Mike

Mike,

Do have the suit checked out. Not being able to lift your knees while standing is important. I have trouble doing just that since I gained weight and can tell you it's important from experience. You may not think about it while standing in your living room but will definitely be hindered once you are in the water and trying to climb a ladder back onto a boat! Or climb a set of stairs. Especially if the rungs of the ladder are far apart or the stairs are deep.

Paula

diver_paula:
Mike,

Do have the suit checked out. Not being able to lift your knees while standing is important. I have trouble doing just that since I gained weight and can tell you it's important from experience. You may not think about it while standing in your living room but will definitely be hindered once you are in the water and trying to climb a ladder back onto a boat! Or climb a set of stairs. Especially if the rungs of the ladder are far apart or the stairs are deep.

Paula

That's a good point... I'll check into it...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom