Question My neck octo & hose is flying around, how to fix?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyFrog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The hose is a Miflex Xtreme, which is quite stiff, which I like.. but also very hard to bend.

Thanks!

Am I using too long of a hose?
1648946238292.png

I have all rubber hoses. 22" for single tank, 24" for doubles.

Is that hose longer than that? It looks like it.

I could not source (in my country) a 22” hose for my backup to hang on the necklace - only a 29” double swivel hose was available. So I am thinking of a loose rubber band (bicycle tube) high up on the harness above the clavicle (exactly positioned where the inflator hose retainer band is but on the opposite right side) to route the hose through - like the one used to secure torch heads and stuff lower down on the harness. Is that workable? I also have a 90deg adaptor on the short hose.

I will be doing my first dives with all new gear end of April so yet to actually experiment with it.

PS: This will require unscrewing and re-screwing the hose from the 1st stage in the field, to route it under the rubber band.

Thanks

I could not source (in my country) a 22” hose for my backup to hang on the necklace - only a 29” double swivel hose was available. So I am thinking of a loose rubber band (bicycle tube) high up on the harness above the clavicle (exactly positioned where the inflator hose retainer band is but on the opposite right side) to route the hose through - like the one used to secure torch heads and stuff lower down on the harness. Is that workable? I also have a 90deg adaptor on the short hose.

I will be doing my first dives with all new gear end of April so yet to actually experiment with it.

PS: This will require unscrewing and re-screwing the hose from the 1st stage in the field, to route it under the rubber band.

Thanks

I understand.. 29" is too long, but if that's what you have you should be able to make it work. It's ok to unscrew the hose, just make sure you turn it with a wrench to snug it up, only takes 1/8 turn.. not much at all. Use bicycle tube and the 90,you can probably make it work.

Ultimately, find a shorter hose though (if you can). I'm not sure what shipping to your country would be... any idea?

22-24 inch (if you're a bigger guy) is all you need. Miflex and those type hoses are known for being floaty and taking a set that makes them kink. I don't recommend them or use them.
There is no way to make that hose work on the back up. Too short to route under the arm unless you use a swivel on the 1st and the second and then it might interfere with the primary the way you have it run.
Get a 22 inch rubber hose and be done with it.
Necklace is way too long as well. It should hold the reg right under your chin. Not down around your chest.

Thanks

Make a loop of thin bungee cord (the size of spaghetti noodles) and use that instead. It’s much stretchier and will likely allow you to not have to undo the hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom