My near-miss in the Galapagos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leejnd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I’m posting about an incident that happened to me a few days ago in the Galapagos Islands. Let me just say that I’m extremely grateful to be posting this myself, and in the “near misses” forum rather than the accidents forum! And I’m not posting this in the “mishap analysis” forum because I think all the lessons to be learned are pretty self-evident. I’m really doing it more as a reminder to other divers not to make the same mistakes I did…and yes, I realize where my mistakes are. I also want to call out the dive op, Sub-Aqua in Puerto Ayorta, on Santa Cruz Island, Galapagos, Ecuador. Based on my experience with them, they are ripe to lose someone, and soon, if they don’t change their practices and upgrade their gear.

My husband, Charlie, and I were on a three week small-group adventure tour to Machu Picchu and Galapagos. This tour does not include any diving, but the final two days of the tour were at a hotel in the Galapagos (after spending several days on a small ship around the islands), so we chose to forgo the land-based group activities on those two days and go diving on our own.

We booked these dives with a woman who is active on SB in the South America forum, who leads land and dive tours in the Galapagos, and has numerous contacts there. She recommended this particular dive operator, and acted as booking agent. We paid her, she booked with the dive op. I will not identify her here, but she is welcome to jump in and identify herself if she wants. I will say that I am absolutely thrilled with her response to this…I emailed her the story yesterday from my Blackberry while in between flights home, and before I even landed, she’d emailed me her horror at my experience, and paypalled me the total amount of refund that I requested, from her own pocket, not even knowing yet if the dive op will refund it to her (and they damn well better). She has promised to immediately address this with the dive op, and not send any more divers their way until she feels the situation has been adequately resolved. So kudos to her!

Anyway, to get on with the story:

On the first day (Fri) we arrived at the dive shop before the specified time of 1 pm, and were fitted for equipment. We were concerned to see how old and worn out the equipment was, but since we'd already paid for the dives we went ahead.

Now, some are going to say that these were mistakes #1 & 2: never pay for dives before you’ve gone on them, and never go with a dive op with old-looking equipment. That is unrealistic. I have been diving all over the world, and many LDSs, particularly in third-world countries, are just not up to the gear standards those of us in the US are accustomed to. And FEW dive ops will take you diving unless you pay first. The vast majority also have rigid no-refund policies…if you book the dives, and choose not to do them for any reason, you lose your money, end of story. I believe this is a dangerous policy, and can too often lead divers to choose to go ahead with dives in spite of misgivings because they just don’t want to throw away hundreds of dollars due to a bad gut feeling.

As for bringing our own gear, that was not an option. Our tour group had very limited luggage allowances, and had we brought our gear, we basically wouldn’t have been able to bring CLOTHES!

So moving along: it took them hours to get organized, and we didn't actually get underway on the boat until 3:30pm. Note that at the equator, sunset comes at 6pm all year round, so that didn’t leave us a lot of time to get two dives and a decent surface interval in before dark. The boat itself was very unpleasant to be on...it was heavily burning oil and filling with noxious fumes, making us all nauseous even in the calm bay. Then they couldn't find the promised dive site, which was supposed to be an underwater pinnacle in Academy Bay called El Bajo...the DM told us the boat’s sonar was broken so they tried to find it by the archaic method of dropping a line with a dive weight on the end. Finally, unable to find it after several tries, they took us to a rocky site at the mouth of the bay where there was very little life. Already this outfit was beginning to look like the Three Stooges of Ecuador.

We had two DMs with us: one named Luis, whose English was rudimentary at best, and one named Walter who spoke no English. Divers included the two of us, a couple from Florida, and three guys from Spain.

Once we got to the dive site, they had us do buoyancy checks since we were all using different gear than we’re used to, and kilos instead of pounds. But strangely, they insisted we do them without our gear on – just weight belts over our wetsuits, which we thought was very bizarre. But then once gearing up they didn't even pay attention to the amount of weight we were supposed to have – they just haphazardly started throwing weight belts at us, and even gave my husband the wrong one – which we didn’t catch because they all looked the same.

Mistake #1: don’t trust the DMs to keep track of your weights/gear. Make sure you know which is yours, and even mark them in some way so they don’t get mixed up with others.

Once it was time to go in, they must have finally realized how late it was as they suddenly started rushing like madmen, making us gear up so quickly and jump in that we didn't have a chance to do a proper buddy check with this unfamiliar gear. Then, Charlie couldn't descend because they’d given him the wrong weight belt without enough weight. And for some incomprehensible reason they put the non-English speaking DM with the 4 Americans, and Luis with the 3 Spanish guys! So Charlie couldn't get our DM to understand that he needed more weight. He finally was able to signal the skipper to hand him another weight block from the boat, which he slipped into his BCD pocket.

Mistake #2: don’t be sheep, even when on a DM-led dive in a foreign country. MAKE the damn DM wait until YOU are comfortable with your gear, and feel ready to go in.

The dive was utterly boring. We saw nothing more than the same surgeonfish we'd been seeing snorkeling all week. Worse, my BCD was malfunctioning...it wouldn't hold air! Because it was such a shallow dive (40 ft max) I didn't discover this until the end of the dive at the surface, when it wouldn't inflate to keep me afloat. Fortunately I'm a strong swimmer and it was very calm in the Bay so it wasn't a problem, I was able to fin myself to the boat and get out. But it ticked me off.

Everyone was unhappy with the dive. Initially we all decided not to even bother doing a second dive. My husband was livid over the fact that they'd given malfunctioning gear to his wife, and we were all disappointed in the dive site. We were also dismayed at how they sloppily tossed around the gear, walked all over it, didn't pay attention to which belonged to whom.

After a little while, the couple from Florida decided to do the second dive because it was their last day in the Galapagos. I decided to go ahead with them and DM Walter, using my husband's working BCD (he was not interested in doing another dive with these clowns). It was a shallow and easy dive, so as long as my gear worked, I knew I’d be fine. This dive was slightly better only because we saw one big ol’ Galapagos shark in the distance, but it was getting dark so the vis was bad. And when we surfaced, no one was even watching for us! Charlie saw us pop up some distance away, but it took him many minutes to get the attention of the skipper, and the chase dinghy wasn't even available...the other DM had taken the Spanish guys out to photograph sea lions on the rocks! The skipper couldn’t be bothered to move the boat closer to us. It was a very long surface swim back to the boat, and by the time we got there it was dark, and we had no lights.

The next day we were scheduled to go to an advanced site out in the open ocean, known as Gordon Rocks. After such a bad experience, Charlie chose not to go at all. He has only about 50 dives, to my 150, and he was just not comfortable with them. I made the difficult decision to go ahead with it, which I realize now was a mistake...one that could have been disastrous. But I kept thinking that I doubt I will ever get to the Galapagos again, and these were very expensive dives ($170 for two tanks) so I chose to take the risk.

Mistake #3: Trust your gut. If the dive op seems unsafe, DON’T GO WITH THEM! What’s more important, your money or your life?

The next morning at the shop, I was very insistent that I NOT be given the same BCD as the day before. This time we had different DMs, all of whom spoke at least some English, and they promised me it was different equipment. I couldn't tell because frankly all the gear was pretty crappy, but they kept assuring me it was different. Okay then.

Fortunately it was a different boat which didn't blow oil. I will also say that these DMs were a bit more professional than the others, and they gave a good briefing of what to expect at the site, so I felt better about my choice to go ahead.

Gordon Rocks is one of the most advanced, challenging dive sites I have ever dived. It’s an old volcanic caldera, with three big rocks in a circle, and three inlets into the crater, all of which let in competing ocean currents. No matter how calm it might be in the open ocean, inside the caldera it is a veritable washing machine, with churning, slapping waves at the surface. When entering, you cannot linger at the surface – you have to immediately descend. Things calm down once below 10 ft, but you still have to be cautious of down-drafts due to inbound currents hitting the rocks. It’s all doable, however, as long as you can quickly descend beneath the churn, and then pay close attention to your depth and buoyancy. And at the end of the dive, it’s imperative that you finish with enough air to be able to leave your reg in, because you can NOT remove your reg and mask until you are in the boat, due to the violently turbulent surface.

We had 7 divers and three DMs. I was buddying with one of the DMs, who was also responsible for a couple of newbies from the UK (with less than 7 dives before this trip), so we had a team of 4. The other two DMs were with the other four divers, but we all stayed pretty close together. I checked my BCD on the boat, and it seemed to be working…it inflated and vented.

Entry went as planned, and we dropped to 95 ft along the rim. My BCD was functioning, as I was able to pump air in to achieve neutral buoyancy at 95 ft and then vent some out when we rose to about 60 ft. We saw some cool fish, and one hammerhead in the distance, and then when I was at about 900 psi we ascended to do a blue-water safety stop in the center of the caldera, which went fine.

Safety stop done, I surfaced in the wild wash with 700 psi, and went to inflate my BCD, only to hear a little *pop* and discover that it wouldn't hold air - it was obviously the same faulty one! Now understand that in the bay this was no big deal, but in the washing machine of Gordon Rocks this could have been deadly. I was already slightly overweighted due to the bizarre and unscientific buoyancy check of the day before, and with 4-ft churning waves splashing me hard in the face I couldn't remove my reg to get breaths. It wasn't long before my exertion to keep from sinking, and ongoing efforts to inflate my BCD, left my tank at 0...my first (and I hope only) OOA experience.

I considered ditching my weights, but I was reluctant to do so knowing that other divers were below us still doing their safety stops (we’d been the first group out, and so were the first group to surface). Fortunately I was able to get the attention of my DM buddy, who swam over. Due to his limited English I don't think he really understood my dilemma, but at least I was able to make myself understood that I was OOA – yeah, that hand signal is pretty unmistakable – and he gave me his octopus while the other DM swam over and held me aloft. I suspect they thought I was just panicky in the waves, but I assure you I was not...in fact I was well aware of my dangerous situation, and was thinking more clearly than ever. I firmly believe that had I panicked, either I would not be here to tell you this tale, or one of the other divers might not be here due to having 20 lbs of lead blocks dropped on his head.

Once aboard, I was finally able to explain the situation to the DMs. Turns out this WAS in fact the very same faulty BCD that I'd had before, which had a leak in the inflator tube that they said had been "repaired". Clearly not well enough! Naturally I was mad as hell that they gave me malfunctioning equipment at such an advanced dive site, especially when I was so adamant earlier that I get different gear. What the hell were they thinking?

I did go ahead and do the second dive, but only after making sure that they give me the extra BCD that was onboard (which would have been my husbands, had he come, and I knew his worked). Please, don’t anybody give me any lip over doing the second dive, okay? I am quite sure I will never get to the Galapagos Islands again in my life, and at that point I knew what to expect, and knew that BCD worked. I'm glad I did the second dive, as we saw a bunch more hammerheads, some sea turtles, a pod of huge eagle rays and other cool stuff -- but knowing how bad this dive op is overall, I do realize it was probably a foolhardy thing to do. I'm not proud of this, but my desire to get in one decent dive at one of the greatest dive sites on the planet won out over my misgivings with the dive op.

In the end, it was by far the worst dive op I have ever experienced. I have been diving in many places, including third world countries - Bali, Belize, Costa Rica, Mexico, French Polynesia, and more. Nothing has come close to the level of ineptitude and unprofessionalism we experienced with Sub-Aqua.

I can assure you I have related these events with rigorous honesty, so while I will brook no challenges to the integrity of my story, I am certainly open to comments, suggestions and insights. And if the owners of Sub-Aqua hear of this thread, I encourage them to come in and tell us what they are doing to improve their operation, and prevent this from happening to someone else. The Galapagos are a very remote site, with limited options for rescue/treatment should there be an accident - as we sadly know from a recent fatality there. This is NOT the place for a dive op to be sloppy with safety, or rent out malfunctioning gear.

LeeAnne, glad to see ya & Charlie back safe and sound. . .

Makes my complaint aboard PH Skydancer last May a trivial minor inconvenience in comparison.
(Not a good year for ScubaBoard Members traveling to Galapagos). . .

LeeAnne, an interesting story in that the booking agent responded so professionally yet her go-to dive operator performed so poorly. Either the dive operator's booking fee is so high as to make a good person go bad or there is no better operation from which she could have chosen. Whenever I have heard of dive reports from Galapagoes in the past they always involved live-aboards which may leave too few well-heeled travelers to grease the wheels of the land based operations. As far as diving without my own gear(Regulator/BCD/Computer) I am lucky to have been able to avoid that thus far in my travels but you were placed in a tough predicament with the remoteness of your destination. By the way, you write beatifully!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info and glad to hear you have survived.

As you've said, you've learned a lot from this. However, it doesn't seem that you have heeded one of the most important lessons you've pointed out yourself, which is not letting "I'm never going to be here again" syndrome determine your decisions. Multiple times you made risky decisions based on that. You did point out multiple issues but not this central one and that, I fear, will lead to potential situations in the future since, you're not bringing your own gear (perhaps just this trip but I can't tell from your story), and you go to such locations. From the list of locations you have and having more than vacation diver number of dives, it seems inconsistent that you wouldn't make the specific effort to go back to a place as famed as the Galapagos if you didn't get to dive it on this trip. Judging by my understanding of the area, this is about as tame an "incident" as you could have had.

This isn't meant to be the typical beat you up Scubaboard comment, but a thought provoker. You must have one heck of a relationship because getting hurt on the dive would be my last problem because my wife would have KILLED me for trying to go get on another rickety boat with the gang to now go to an ADVANCED site! :)

And the newbies with 7 dives.......

I'm glad you guys made it through the trip! It's hard to call off dives in a place like that. I can't say that I would not have done the same thing. It would be interesting to hear from sub-aqua on here!

LeeAnne,

We are all very happy to hear that you survived the experience. Thanks for sharing your story. It also sounds like you've spent some time thinking about what could have been done differently.

I thought of a few questions that might add to the discussion:
  1. Could you please describe in detail how you checked the functionality of the BCD during your pre-dive checks?
  2. Do you have a systematic method of checking the functionality of a rental regulator? If so, what is it?
  3. What kind of tank were you using?
  4. How thick of a wetsuit did you use?
(Questions 3 and 4 are related to the 20 lbs. of ditchable weight that you mentioned in your story.)

It sounds like the newbies on your boat did quite well considering the dive conditions. I shudder to think what might have happened if one of them had pulled the short straw and gotten the faulty BCD.

So glad that your OK :)
and thank you for your post

Yeah, I'm not sure what I would have done on checking the gear with the DM's rushing you, but I think that with old used up equipment, I would have tried to be thorough in my checks, but then I don't know, never had to contend with any of that

Wow, it all sounds incredible, and taking newbies with only 7 dives to that 95ft, washing machine, advanced dive :shakehead:

Shasta ... I think she mentioned about not letting trip pressure you into having to make the dive
I made the difficult decision to go ahead with it, which I realize now was a mistake...one that could have been disastrous
but knowing how bad this dive op is overall, I do realize it was probably a foolhardy thing to do. I'm not proud of this,
Mistake #3: Trust your gut. If the dive op seems unsafe, DON’T GO WITH THEM! What’s more important, your money or your life?

I knew this post would generate some interesting discussion. That's good. But I'm also aware of that common SB scourge whereby posters of dive incidents get eviscerated and nitpicked to death, their every move being analyzed and criticized, to the point where they are sorry they ever admitted they've ever blown a bubble. I'm hoping to avoid the latter. I do want to answer any and all questions that come up in here, but I can't help but sense a couple of potential land mines. So forgive me if I seem a little wary. I'll answer as best I can, without opening myself up to a classic Scubaboard flogging.

LeeAnne, an interesting story in that the booking agent responded so professionally yet her go-to dive operator performed so poorly. Either the dive operator's booking fee is so high as to make a good person go bad or there is no better operation from which she could have chosen.

There are other dive ops that she works with, but as I understand it, the way land-based diving works in the Galapagos is, each dive op has a rotating schedule of where they can dive that day, which is dictated by, or at least approved by, the Natl. Park Service. I wanted to do Gordon Rocks (short boat ride from Puerto Ayorta, supposedly lots of hammerheads), and this was the dive op going there that day, which is why we ended up with them. But the booking agent HAS used this dive op before, and swears this is the first problem she's had with them. However, there may be at at least some truth to your comment that there was "no better" LDS she could have chosen: I was told by multiple people familiar with land-based diving there that it is relatively new in the Galapagos, and still rather behind-the-times.

Still, that doesn't excuse any of what happened. You don't give failed gear to a diver, especially at an advanced dive site...and especially when you KNOW it failed once, and she specifically asked you NOT to give the same crap to her.

Whenever I have heard of dive reports from Galapagoes in the past they always involved live-aboards which may leave too few well-heeled travelers to grease the wheels of the land based operations.

There's probably also some truth to this. The majority of diving in the Galapagos is not from land. Unfortunately, we didn't have the option of going on a live-aboard. The only reason we were there at all was because we'd been invited to go on this three-week small-group tour with some friends of ours, and it happened to include the Galapagos. We didn't do this trip FOR the diving...but being divers, how could be find ourselves in one of the top dive sites on the planet and NOT dive?

As far as diving without my own gear(Regulator/BCD/Computer) I am lucky to have been able to avoid that thus far in my travels but you were placed in a tough predicament with the remoteness of your destination.

We're pretty frequent travelers. While this trip wasn't specifically for the diving, I have done other trips that WERE exclusively for diving...e.g. Belize, Mexico, Bali. On those trips, I brought my own gear. We have also done trips in which we were there for other reasons, but were able to squeeze in some diving. Examples: French Polynesia, Costa Rica, and Galapagos. In those cases, we rented. I certainly prefer NOT to rent, but there are times when you just don't have a choice. This was one of them. But it definitely has made me question whether I EVER want to rent again. Right now, I'm thinking no.

By the way, you write beatifully!
Garsh, thanks! :blinking: I'm actually a writer, so that means a lot to me.

As you've said, you've learned a lot from this. However, it doesn't seem that you have heeded one of the most important lessons you've pointed out yourself, which is not letting "I'm never going to be here again" syndrome determine your decisions.

While I appreciate your comment that your post isn't meant to be a typical SB beat-you-up comment, there are a few landmines here, which I will attempt to avoid stepping on.

Let me just say that I am quite sure that I will not get to the Galapagos again. While I am pretty well-traveled, I am still a working stiff and only have so much vacation time...and there are many other places around the globe that I haven't seen yet, that are higher up on the bucket list than a return trip to the Galapagos. We spent a week there...I saw all that I wanted to see.

That being said, you show me one person who finds it easy to walk away from literally hundreds of dollars, and a chance to dive one of the top dive sites on the planet. If they do, they are probably in a much higher tax bracket than I am, and can easily walk away from those dollar figures, as well as plan a return trip. That, sadly, is not me. I work hard for every dollar, and every vacation hour. It was NOT an easy decision...and I did already acknowledge that I am aware that it wasn't necessarily the right one. BUT...some of us are more risk averse than others. My husband, for one (obviously). Others of us consider all the factors, and are willing to accept some degree of risk. I weighed what I knew, and went for it. And hey...I did live to tell, right? In fact, you yourself even claim this was a MILD incident! So do I really deserve your comment that you feel I haven't learned the central lesson? I think I have...and I think I knew it at the time. But I made my decision to go ahead anyway. That was my choice, and I don't regret it. I'm PISSED OFF at the dive op, but hey...I got to see my hammerhead sharks!

From the list of locations you have and having more than vacation diver number of dives, it seems inconsistent that you wouldn't make the specific effort to go back to a place as famed as the Galapagos if you didn't get to dive it on this trip. Judging by my understanding of the area, this is about as tame an "incident" as you could have had.

Yes, I do more than vacation dive. I have only been certified for three years, and I have about 150 dives. Besides occasional dive travel, I actively dive at home, both on our local dive boats, and from the beach. We also own a sailboat, and have done some diving from that. As for making the effort to get back to the Galapagos...see my comments about that above. Too many other places I want to see, and not enough time to see them all.

You must have one heck of a relationship because getting hurt on the dive would be my last problem because my wife would have KILLED me for trying to go get on another rickety boat with the gang to now go to an ADVANCED site! :)

We had a lengthy discussion about this. But after 28 years together, we both know our personal risk tolerance. I tend to be the more adventurous; he tends to be more risk-averse. Hey, we are adults...we allow each other to make our own decisions. I wasn't upset at him for choosing not to go...I understood. And he was fine with my decision to go.

And the newbies with 7 dives.......
Yeah...ya like how I dropped that in there? I was wondering if anyone caught that. I was stunned to learn that they were taking out such noobs to one of the most challenging dive sites in Galapagos. Most of the stuff I read online about Gordon Rocks makes it clear that this is a site ONLY for advanced divers. I didn't learn how new they were till we were almost at the site, and we started chatting. Yeesh.

It's hard to call off dives in a place like that. I can't say that I would not have done the same thing. It would be interesting to hear from sub-aqua on here!
Thanks...that's kinda the point I was trying to make. It's NOT easy to walk away...and I chose not to. Others would make other choices.

As for Sub-Aqua, I'd love to hear from them too. I haven't yet told them, or the booking agent, about this thread. I just got back last night, and banged out this post this afternoon. I'm going to tell the booking agent tomorrow that this thread is here. I didn't name her because I have no complaint with her at all...in fact, she behaved admirably...so I want to leave it to her whether or not she wants to identify herself.

I thought of a few questions that might add to the discussion:
  1. Could you please describe in detail how you checked the functionality of the BCD during your pre-dive checks?
  2. Do you have a systematic method of checking the functionality of a rental regulator? If so, what is it?
  3. What kind of tank were you using?
  4. How thick of a wetsuit did you use?
(Questions 3 and 4 are related to the 20 lbs. of ditchable weight that you mentioned in your story.)

1. My method of checking the functionality of my BCD was pretty unscientific: once I was geared up, I pumped in some air. It seemed to hold it. Then I pressed the button to vent it. It seemed to come out. Simple as that. Clearly not a good ENOUGH test...the damn thing didn't work, did it?

2. Systematic? No. I breathed on it, and breathed on the octopus, several times before I went in, while checking to make sure the needle on my pressure gauge didn't wabble. Air came out, went in to my lungs, needle didn't wabble. Must be working. What else can I do? If there is a systematic method, please share...I will be sure to use it the next time I use rental gear. Which, after this incident, may be never.

3. They were aluminum 80's.

4. I was wearing a full 5-mil suit, but no hood. This differed from what I usually wear here at home, which is a full 7-mil with hood, and sometimes a vest if it's particularly chilly that day.

I have to apologize here...20 lbs was just a number I threw out, but wasn't actually what I was wearing. To be honest, I don't remember what I was wearing! It was in kilos, and I'm just not remembering how many kilos were on that weight belt. Sorry. I'll blame the jet lag. :wink:

It sounds like the newbies on your boat did quite well considering the dive conditions. I shudder to think what might have happened if one of them had pulled the short straw and gotten the faulty BCD.

They did VERY well, considering! The current was dicey, but they held their buoyancy, and followed the DM's instructions very well. I was impressed. But I have to agree...I have no idea what would have happened if one of them had gotten the bad gear. I do NOT want to sound too cocky, but I will say that I have been pleased to discover about myself that I am not the panicking type, at least not in the water. But part of that is my own comfort with diving due to some level of experience. What would I have done if I was a noob? I'm not sure! Would I have even thought to look below me before I ditched my weight belt? Hell, would I have even remembered that I had the OPTION of ditching my weight belt? A few recent threads in the accidents forum shows that ditching weights isn't something that everyone remembers when they should.

Shasta ... I think she mentioned about not letting trip pressure you into having to make the dive
Thanks. That's what I was trying to say. You just said it more succinctly. :D

Thank you very much, Leeann, for posting your acount here on this Board.

And, yes, you do write well. Thanks for that also.

But I'm also aware of that common SB scourge whereby posters of dive incidents get eviscerated and nitpicked to death, their every move being analyzed and criticized, to the point where they are sorry they ever admitted they've ever blown a bubble.

Yes, that is a problem with this Thread. People are unlikely to admit mistakes if they attacked for making them. We have some jerks on ScubaBoard who attack newbies for making mistakes, and that should stop.

We have also done trips in which we were there for other reasons, but were able to squeeze in some diving. Examples: French Polynesia, Costa Rica, and Galapagos. In those cases, we rented. I certainly prefer NOT to rent, but there are times when you just don't have a choice.

You are spot-on, Leeann. Sometimes you may not have a realistic choice. The reality is that some divers will rent. That may more common as airlines raise fees for weight and luggage.

Our industry fails when it rents bad rental gear to divers. It's unacceptable.

Based on what you wrote, it sounds like you may have had 2 different problems with the BCD. Problem #1 might have been a corrugated hose with a leak - common. The hose probably got replaced; it held air the next dive.

Then you had problem #2. You heard a "pop." That sounds like a valve might have blown. Anyway, we'll never know.

That being said, you show me one person who finds it easy to walk away from literally hundreds of dollars, and a chance to dive one of the top dive sites on the planet.

That's a very good point. Let's stop blaming the customer who pays to go diving. Dive Ops have a responsibility. They took money.

Most of the stuff I read online about Gordon Rocks makes it clear that this is a site ONLY for advanced divers. I didn't learn how new they were till we were almost at the site, and we started chatting.

This is what most scares me about your story.

What if one of the Newbies had been wearing your malfunctioning BCD? You handled yourself very well. Someone with less experience might have handled things less well.

As for Sub-Aqua, I'd love to hear from them too.

Me too. Expect defensiveness and excuses. Maybe they'll blame the customers.

I'm going to tell the booking agent tomorrow that this thread is here. I didn't name her because I have no complaint with her at all...in fact, she behaved admirably...so I want to leave it to her whether or not she wants to identify herself.

Your agent deserves some praise for having the integrity to give you a refund.

A few recent threads in the accidents forum shows that ditching weights isn't something that everyone remembers when they should.

I have commented on that issue in a number of Threads. As an Instructor, I am getting more and more concerned about it.

Under stress (panic), people can lose fine motor skills.

I am having my students spend more time on practicing weight-ditching. It annoys them. Some students say, "We did this already; I know how to do it."

I respond, "Do it again, please."

Thank you again, Leeann, for your post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom