My near-miss in the Galapagos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a difference between discussing lessons learned with the focus on seeking to understand, vs. the type of "armchair quarterbacking" in which people simply say "well I never would have done that," with the hidden (or sometimes not so hidden) message being "I'm too smart to have made the same mistakes you did." The former is the reason this forum exists, and is a value to the dive community. The latter does nothing but make the person who told their story feel attacked and dumped-on...and results in fewer divers reporting their incidents.

Over the course of this thread there have been both types of comments. Honestly I can't remember where your comments fit in. If you're not sure which category your comments fell under, you might go back and review them. If they offered info of value to others seeking to learn and understand (and I'm sure at least some of them did), then great - thanks! But if you tossed out little barbs that served no purpose other than to highlight how a) I must be a moron for having done what I did, and/or b) you personally are too smart or well trained or superior in your diving skills and decision-making abilities to have made such mistakes, then...well, I guess that speaks for itself.

I have to assume this is a dig at ScubaPro, because I mentioned that the dive op rented out ScubaPro gear, and my husband's gear is ScubaPro? If so, I'm not sure this thread is the place to engage in such discussions. I know there are many differing opinions about gear configurations, manufacturers, etc...and people can be quite passionate and vociferous about their choices. (And something tells me you are a proponent of DIR - could be the Halcyon gear.) There are other forums for these types of discussions...which really aren't relevent in the context of this incident.

The problem was the ambigous nature of the phrase armchair quarterback. I googled six sources for definitions and received six definitions with a combination of elements from the sum total of all. I have linked one which boils most of them into one definition that depicts the truly ambigous nature of the term. I took his usage to mean those who do not know what they are talking about or the first portion of the definition linked, when in fact his usage and understanding is the latter portion of the definition. In that you are a writer I will let you take over this subject as if I do not get back to work my dismissal will be the next armchair quarterback discussion. Lol

Armchair quarterback Definition | Definition of Armchair quarterback at Dictionary.com

Last edited:
The problem was the ambigous nature of the phrase armchair quarterback. I googled six sources for definitions and received six definitions with a combination of elements from the sum total of all. I have linked one which boils most of them into one definition which depicts the truly ambigous nature of the term. I took his usage to mean those who do not know what they are talking about or the first portion of the definition linked when in fact his usage and understanding is the latter portion of the definition. In that you are a writer I will let you take over this subject as if I do not get back to work my dismissal will be the next armchair quarterback discussion. Lol

Wow -- I learned something new! I had always know it as "someone who is not there who is second-guessing the quarterback's decision as happened on the field". It never had any connotation's about one's expertise.

Yeah, if Lee keeps this thread going we might close the gap on TSandM in thirty years or so. :)

Yeah, if Lee keeps this thread going I may close the gap on TSandM in thirty years or so. :)

Hey, aren't you supposed to be working?!? :rofl3:
:popcorn:

Hey, aren't you supposed to be working?!? :rofl3:
:popcorn:

I even had time to edit as you can see. I changed I to we in our Kumbaya moment. I do like to think I can walk and chew gum at the same time but if I do not reduce my Scubaboard participation somewhat I will be doing beach based dives instead of charter very soon. :D

I'm just back to reading this thread. My comment's criticized Abaco's vicous and rude remarks to Anna. If you don't approve of my criticisms, Valhalla, that's fine. I stand by my statement.

I'm just back to reading this thread. My comment's criticized Abaco's vicous and rude remarks to Anna. If you don't approve of my criticisms, Valhalla, that's fine. I stand by my statement.

Your comments were very constructive and thoughtfull. I was just razzing you for the lack of profile information but choose my words poorly. You are Ok with me...So can you at least give us your region? Below the 38th parallel? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom