My near-miss in the Galapagos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If we criticize divers who post onthis Thread, we can create a disincentive, a disincentive to admit errors or to post with complete truthfulness. This is particualrly true with new divers who post.

I have seen new divers get attacked on this Thread. They admit admit errors and then they're criticized. Some of it is just bullying.

Your comments were very constructive and thoughtfull. I was just razzing you for the lack of profile information but choose my words poorly. You are Ok with me...So can you at least give us your region? Below the 38th parallel? :D

No problem, D.

Mid-Atlantic East Coast. I dive Maryland and Virginia.

I'm not sure where the 38th parallel in the US is, although I have heard that the 38th parallel in Korea is the Demilitarized Zone.

Last edited:
If we criticize divers who post onthis Thread, we can create a disincentive, a disincentive to admit errors or to post with complete truthfulness. This is particualrly true with new divers who post.

I have seen new divers get attacked on this Thread. They admit admit errors and then they're criticized. Some of it is just bullying.

If this didn't happen, it wouldn't be Scubaboard! :cool2: This place is famous for vicious eviscerations (methinks I'm over-using that word) of new divers - or any diver that has the cajones to actually describe anything that he does in relation to diving. Any time a diver is feeling a bit overconfident and needs to be knocked down a peg or two, and reminded that he is doing everything wrong and is inevitably going to DIE, this is the right place to come.

I'm not sure where the 38th parallel in the US is, although I have heard that the 38th parallel in Korea is the demilitarized Zone.

A disambiguation of the term "38th parallel."

(Sorry...getting carried away with wiki...) :wink:

Editing to add...HEY! Wouldn't the term "Vicious Eviscerations" be a great name for a rock band???

Last edited:

True. The treatment of new posters on this forum I think you were saying is borderline criminal in my opionion. It was good of you to admonish abaco24. I did not criticize that effort. I just thought it funny you were accessing and using his profile information when you do not offer any in return. I will not lose any sleep over the subject, I can promise you!

I actually looked up the latitudes in the USA for Virginia and had the choice of 36-39 parallel and being a student of history had to choose the 38th.

Editing to add...HEY! Wouldn't the term "Vicious Eviscerations" be a great name for a rock band???

Not if today's youth had to spell it. The rock band would starve! :D

Last edited:
If this didn't happen, it wouldn't be Scubaboard! :cool2: This place is famous for vicious eviscerations (methinks I'm over-using that word) of new divers - or any diver that has the cajones to actually describe anything that he does in relation to diving. Any time a diver is feeling a bit overconfident and needs to be knocked down a peg or two, and reminded that he is doing everything wrong and is inevitably going to DIE, this is the right place to come.

A disambiguation of the term "38th parallel."

(Sorry...getting carried away with wiki...) :wink:

...Lee Anne, you're not quite correct about SB being 'THE' place to come to be knocked down a peg or too.....thank your lucky stars you haven't posted this over on any of the 'tech' diving oriented boards (thedecostop.com plus some other ones I can think of) ......trust me on this, if you'd posted over there, you'd be off whimpering over in a corner somewhere and we'd never get you out of your shell ever again! :)

.....I'm on your side here, I support your decision, it was a tough judgement call that any serious diver would have struggled with...you pushed the envelope a bit, perhaps trusted the dive op a bit too much, and it bit you, unfortunately....but I could certainly see myself rolling those very same dice given your specific circumstances.

...now about rental gear, (and yes, I know you weren't on a dedicated dive trip and faced severe weight limits) I actually design/custom build a lot of my own scuba gear...'cause I'm an extreme perfectionist and WAY anal about my gear...and I will NOT go to a dive location where I HAVE to rent the local gear....I value my life too highly to rely on flea-bag 3rd-world thrashed gear....and I know there are some remote places I will NEVER see because the weight restrictions are too severe for me to bring my own stuff....so be it!!!

...I've taken some ribbing, both here on SB and while diving about being 'Gadget Guy' and going overboard with spares and having really nice gear ...but then again, I'm usually the guy people approach with gear questions...to do field repairs on broken gear...supply spare parts/reg sets/etc. ....so I'm vindicated pretty frequently! :D

Karl

No problem, D.

Mid-Atlantic East Coast. I dive Maryland and Virginia.

I'm not sure where the 38th parallel in the US is, although I have heard that the 38th parallel in Korea is the Demilitarized Zone.

I missed this post. Yeah, as my prior post indicates I checked the latitude for Virginia due to its mid-country status and the fact that I have family there. Check out your hometown latitude. For all you/we know you can walk half way (straight) around the world in either direction and be smack-dab in the middle of the world's largest mine field (Demilitarized Zone). :D

I would like to offer my sincere apologies to the OP. My attempt to tie the miserable dive shop that put you at risk with Darwin and the Galapagos Islands failed miserably. As we never mix drinking and diving, so should I have not mixed martinis with the SB forum. I meant no malace and hope you will accept my apology for my wayward errors and comments. AB

Thank you. Apology accepted. Sometimes the things we post in message boards don't come out the way we mean them...sounds like that's what happened here. As they used to say on "Ally McBeal"...bygones. :)

Back
Top Bottom