My Luggage is so SO heavy!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its not too bad if packed carefully. Mask in fins, reg wrapped in part of wet or drysuit to cushion it etc. Fins being rigid can be used to protect other possibly delicate things. My computer goes into hand luggage.
Most scuba kit is fairly tolerant to baggage handlers and fairly hard to break as its designed to be abused. Backplates are'nt that easy to break, neither are wings etc. The delicate 3 are really torches, regs, mask and if taking a suit you can pad them inside this (or put a towel in the bag).

Ive got an Aluminium plate for travel so isn't heavy. My worst items are my D8R torch which is 5kg (11lb), my wetsuit at 5kg (11lb) of failing that my drysuit and undersuit for 7kg (15lb)

I carry on my regulator system and have never had a weight problem. The limit of two checked bags and 1 carry-on plus a personal item, purse or PC case, allows me place my reg system in the case with my PC. This includes International flights.

Stan

pennypue:
I've looked at those.....but really like, uh hum....the colors of the Bean ones better. :D I had to take my gray suitcase out of someone else's hands one time because they thought it was theres.........

Yeah, I know. That is why for years I used GI parachute bags with some pom poms made by a local girls group on them.

Now I have my bags festooned with colorful surveyor tape in lime green, orange and red.

Now that I think of it, that wasn't even enough on my last trip. Some guy picked up one of my bags. His, wife I presume, told him it wasn't his( I could read her lips) and he should put it back. He argued with her. I was just ready to join in when he put it back and it came on down the conveyor to me.

String:
Its not too bad if packed carefully. Mask in fins, reg wrapped in part of wet or drysuit to cushion it etc. Fins being rigid can be used to protect other possibly delicate things. My computer goes into hand luggage.
Most scuba kit is fairly tolerant to baggage handlers and fairly hard to break as its designed to be abused. Backplates are'nt that easy to break, neither are wings etc. The delicate 3 are really torches, regs, mask and if taking a suit you can pad them inside this (or put a towel in the bag).

Ive got an Aluminium plate for travel so isn't heavy. My worst items are my D8R torch which is 5kg (11lb), my wetsuit at 5kg (11lb) of failing that my drysuit and undersuit for 7kg (15lb)
I dive with an spg and my depth/computer is a stinger so that it'll double for a watch. My flights are all warm weather. I shudder to think what my luggage would weigh with my cold water gear!

Eskasi, are you packing for a warm water trip or cold?

Eskasi:
For Those travelling to or from the United States, yes...2 bags at 44lbs each I think.....but EVERYWHERE else (Asia, Europe, etc), economy class allows only 44lbs TOTAL weight and no restrictions on number of bags.
Business Class allows 66lbs in total.

Off to Wakatobi in October on Cathay Pacific (fron LAX), and their rules allow two bags of 70 lb each. Lots of variables between airlines. In most cases, though, if you're traveling on more than one carrier, the one with the lowest limit prevails. In our case, we have to fly United to LAX, and they allow two bags at 50 lb. each, which becomes our de facto limit.

String:
Im not all together against that idea !

If a 350lb beached whale of a human pays the same as someone weighing 1/2 that then the other person should get the difference in luggage allowance :)

:no THAT IS JUST WRONG

I just got back from Belize - when we checked in on the way down, the dive bag was slightly over 44 pounds. She let it go but said on the way back we may want to put something into one of the other suitcases, which we did.
When I went to Grand Turk last year, they charged me about 20 bucks because they said our bags were overweight on the little puddle jumper plane over to the island... and that was without all our new dive gear and bag.
I would keep it close to 44 pounds per, but be prepared to pay extra if they "decide" you need to pay more!

Baggage allowance is up to the airline and *sometimes* they give extra free for scuba divers.

Last year we went to Spain with Thompson, in a couple of days we're off to Egypt with XL and both offer extra 10kg on production of a diver cert card at check in.

I pack in a loose canvas type bag and dont carry weights so it usually comes under 20kg. I'd love to have a pull along but they are very heavy and not so flexible to stuffing just another souvenir in!!!

Thomson in theory give 10kg per leg for £10 fee. Some airports however give it free, some dont give it at all. I flew out of Malta with them last year and was met by several staff claiming they'd never heard of a diving allowance for example.
The airlines that give free stuff vary so much depending on handling agent the only sure fire way to get anywhere is to phone them in advance (most DONT answer emails), agree allowance over the phone and ask for it in writing and get the persons name. Take all documentation to check-in.

BAs new allowance although crucified in the press as it cuts normal peoples allowances by about 75% is actually good for divers in that you can take 1 extra bag of dive gear with no charge. However as BA charge 5x the price of other airlines it may not be that useful.

String:
Thomson in theory give 10kg per leg for £10 fee. Some airports however give it free, some dont give it at all. I flew out of Malta with them last year and was met by several staff claiming they'd never heard of a diving allowance for example.

They had not heard of it in Alicante either, but he let me have it, perhaps because I was carrying even more (I did my OWSI so had *everything* with me) that he did charge for

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom