My last reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadivingtom

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am 60 with around 1500 dives. I am thinking of buying a new regulator set.
I use Dive Rite at this time, but when in other countries I find it hard to get serviced. I am having a problem with it. Actually been like this since it was new. When I invert water comes in while breathing.
I used an Apex in the Philippines that a friend let me use. It breathed so much easier than my Dive Rite. While in Manila I did find a place to have my Dive Rite serviced, but it didn't make a difference.
I want a reg that I can get serviced anywhere in the world that will last for years.

That isn't a specific problem with your regulator. As a result of case geometry, when you invert, you put the exhaust higher than the inlet, and it will leak water. Just about every regulator following the conventional design will do this to some extent.

I also don't follow the service everywhere concept. Unless going somewhere for an extended stay, you aren't likely to have someone reputable take your reg in for immediate service. If you do, the cost of that will likely be extreme. Either travel with appropriate gear (spares), or rent to finish the trip.

A properly maintained regulator shouldn't require even annual service unless being put through massive numbers of dives.

That isn't a specific problem with your regulator. As a result of case geometry, when you invert, you put the exhaust higher than the inlet, and it will leak water. Just about every regulator following the conventional design will do this to some extent.

I also don't follow the service everywhere concept. Unless going somewhere for an extended stay, you aren't likely to have someone reputable take your reg in for immediate service. If you do, the cost of that will likely be extreme. Either travel with appropriate gear (spares), or rent to finish the trip.

A properly maintained regulator shouldn't require even annual service unless being put through massive numbers of dives.
I leave the US for 6 months each year. . I rented 1 time in the Philippines. Never again. Lol

Get a Mk17 with a pair of G260s or G250s. Excellent and serviceable anywhere.
Not bad advice. But SP discontinued the MK17 because, well, no one can figure out why. It's kinda still around in the MK19 but that is a huge reg. Or kinda sorta not really the MK11.

The MK17's still out there in the supply pipeline and they're all over fleaBay. Halcyon has you covered in any case with the H50-D though (Same reg, same service kit as the MK17). If they can service MK17, they can service the Halcyon (if you can convince them to).

My personal favorite right now is a combination MK17/Halcyon H50-D paired with an APEKS XL4. Not a Frankenstein rig - it's an optimized hybrid rig. Maybe sometimes I'll use the G260. Actually, the Mk17 + a G260 would be the likely primary setup but last trip (first on the 260) I ditched it in favor of the APEKS because the ScubaPro mouthpiece didn't fit me well - painfully abrading my gums after a couple of days. I will probably like it with the DGX knock-off APEKS comfobite mouthpiece now on it.

Depending on where you are in town, SP vendors include Scuba Adventures in Plano (also Halcyon, which is the H50-D and Halo second are a Scubapro MK17+G250); Frisco/International Scuba in, well Frsco (their sister store in Carrollton is an APEKS dealer so you have the big 2 covered between the two); Dive West in Dallas/Garland; Lone Star Scuba over on the west side of Ft. Worth is an SP dealer. There's another in Grapevine, but I tend to drive past them on the way to the others. Scubatoys in Carrollton is primarily a Huish dealer (Atomic, Hollis, Oceanic, Zeagle) and Mares - they are also a DiveRite dealer (and HOG, Tusa, Poseidon, SEAC).

I wish I could remember how many times I bought my “last” regulator! Currently I’m back on the Zeagle F8/FH7, a year ago it was Sherwood SR’s and before that SP mk17 and before that…

buy two of whatever you like and take both, it’s much better to have a back up that you like that to trust your breathing to some random repair in the boonies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom