My kind of America

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Then, don't come to Florida :wink:

For the most part, I try not to. Work drags me down there from time to time.

Perhaps one of the other officers on the scene got a good look at him?

This was excellent police work. The dirtbag never killed or injured anyone ever again... Justice served!

No, as I pointed out this was pretty damn sloppy police work.

Nick, thank you for making the point better than I am.

Tossing hundreds of rounds in the air is unprofessional. There is no way these guys were completely aware of what was behind their target, given the apparent lack of ability to hit him I question if they could even see what they were shooting at.

No, as I pointed out this was pretty damn sloppy police work.
Then, you know little of the story... I remember it when it happened... and the link El posted also recounts it... It didn't take genius police work to find the man where he was hiding when he shot the first officer, and then stayed in the same spot overnight until the SWAT team got there..

Edit: Oh, wait... I see you have read the story... and still come to the same conclusion... I'm sure nothing, and no one will be able to convince you... so we must agree to disagree

Nick, thank you for making the point better than I am.

Tossing hundreds of rounds in the air is unprofessional. There is no way these guys were completely aware of what was behind their target, given the apparent lack of ability to hit him I question if they could even see what they were shooting at.
See my last post... read the story and figure out what happened :shakehead:

Then, you know little of the story... I remember it when it happened... and the link El posted also recounts it... It didn't take genius police work to find the man where he was hiding when he shot the first officer, and then stayed in the same spot overnight until the SWAT team got there..

I know the important parts. I know the man was taking cover behind a downed tree under some brush. Not exactly an inpenatrable fortress. I know the SWAT team fired 110 times, missing the intended target 42 times. And I know the same SWAT team showed no trigger discipline at all.

Sure, the police work to locate the man and get the SWAT team on location was good, but after that it kind of went downhill.

1) the innocent don't hide
2) the innocent would have dropped their weapon and surrendered
3) there is no reason why police should risk their lives - they should make SURE the enemy (oh excuse me) the "suspected perpetrator" is dead-dead-dead before they risk themselves. remember the cops have wives, children, and friends .

oh btw "dead" means lots of bullets so as to render the target 100% ineffective. bullets are cheaper than medical care for a lifetime for the officers.

i am sure that your ACLU will extoll the virtuousness of this choirboy/honor student and the wrongful death suit is in the works.

dt

I could not have said it better thank You :coffee:

1) the innocent don't hide
2) the innocent would have dropped their weapon and surrendered

Significant counter-example prove this wrong all the time. It's simply not true.

3) there is no reason why police should risk their lives - they should make SURE the enemy (oh excuse me) the "suspected perpetrator" is dead-dead-dead before they risk themselves. remember the cops have wives, children, and friends .

Actually, the cops job is not to kill people. The cops job is to make every reasonable effort to apprehend a suspect. Should the suspect resist with deadly force, the police are entitled to use proportionately appropriate force in return.

See my last post... read the story and figure out what happened :shakehead:

I've read the story.

Unprofessionalism at it's finest.

Quite a lot of audacity to Monday morning quarterback their tactics and techniques, especially when two officers had already been killed and a third, wounded. If it took them 102 shots to be certain that the perpetrator had been neutralized, then that's what it took. I fail to see how a SWAT team acting in the line of duty, qualifies as "vigilante justice." Some people apparently live in a very interesting alternate reality.... :shakehead:

Ah yes, how typical. I have respect for human life and think shooting someone 68 times shows a wild lack of discipline so I must be one of "them-thar loony-lefties".

Angilo Freeland did create the circumstances that led to his death and he wasn't by any means a good man. If the account given by the officers is true and he did raise his weapon at the officers then they were perfectly justified in firing at him.

Here is where the problem comes in.

First, this was a SWAT team. They are supposed to be a highly trained unit. They shot 110 times and hit him 68? That's not exactly marksmanship.

Second, if Sheriff Grady Judd is correct that they fired everything they had at him that means one of two things. One, that they knew he was dead and continued to fire. Or two, that they didn't know if he was dead or not and they expended every last bit of ammo they had leaving themselves unarmed in the face of a man who does have a weapon and has already proven his willingness to kill. Neither scenario makes this SWAT team look professional in any way and proves that trigger discipline isn't exactly a priority.

Third, Sheriff Grady Judd seems to take this breakdown in discipline and/or clear indication of a lack of training pretty lightly. Personally, since these guys get to carry guns around on public streets, I'm a big fan of them showing the ability to ease up on the trigger a bit.

Now, I can sympathize with those officers. I've seen friends of mine killed. There are several differences though. First, my team and I would have never fired 110 rounds in a scenario like that. That would have been a waste of about 109 rounds. I have no desire to shoot someone 68 times. Seeing the result of one, well-placed round is unpleasent enough for me. Second, if for some reason we did load one guy up with 68 rounds I'm sure I would have at least been relieved as the team leader, maybe more as there are, at least for the military, rules regarding those things. And the Geneva Conventions don't make exceptions for people who are worried about their wife and kids. Third, no one on my team, myself included ever took any pleasure in shooting anyone.

And should it turn out that the guy hiding in the woods was just some good ol' boy who wasn't involved in the crime? Will we still be celebrating his execution?

Vigilante justice is bad, even when carried out with a badge.

IMHO here is where i think you are both wrong :no

First ) not all humans are created equal if they were he would not have shot a cop and his dog and people would not be rapists murderers and thief's

Second) If more perps got shot at the point of the crime less expense to us the general public and maybe a deterrent to further criminals:coffee:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom