My indepth review of the Hollis NeoTek Semi-Dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, sorry. Your Drysuit
If you were asking me, better to quote my post so I know you’re taking to me.

I don’t find it to be much different than controlling the air in your BCD. In many ways it’s easier to maintain neutral buoyancy. With 8 mm of neoprene, you’re super floaty on the surface but it compresses quickly then you become negative. I HAD to swim down from the surface with my neotek, or else I would be super negative the whole dive. I prefer the feeling of the drysuit. When the temp is above 18, I use the same weight for my drysuit or neotek.

I can't say I have a lot of dives on mine, since this year there haven't been a lot of dives period, but I still really like it. Heading out to Lake Phoenix this coming weekend and planning to dive it then. For me, I strongly prefer to wear a skin underneath it since it makes removing the suit afterwards easier - I'm at the top-end of sizing for the 3xl (er, perhaps even a little past top-end...) and getting the first arm out of the sleeve is the only real challenge - at least while trying to be kind to the zipper. I still find it comfortable, and much less hassle than diving my drysuit. If temps and general situation warrant though, I'm still going to switch to dry since I have the option. When teaching though, I try and stick with the Neotek since it keeps me more in-tune with what my students are experiencing, and it's less failure points. I don't want them to be waiting on me while to deal with a dry glove or seal issue.

Still feel it's a great suit, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to someone who wants a cold-water option but isn't ready to go dry. It's comfortable and warm, and seems to be durable, and came in a size that worked for me.

Back
Top Bottom