My indepth review of the Hollis NeoTek Semi-Dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The suit is still going strong 3 years later as I just dove it yesterday in 61f water for over an hour. After three years of use, I do have a small tear in the hood face seal. The water dam around the chest does take care to properly fold out and the last few inches of the zipper can be a little tricky to close. I now also wear a 2mm vest underneath for additional comfort. Otherwise, if I needed a new semi-dry today, I would have no problem buying another one.

Good to know! I'm trying to decide on this one for the bare semi-dry

I have gone through 3 of these. I only get about 50-75 dives before I start noticing that the inner neoprene is starting to separate on the forearms. (I still dive it after that, but I know that it is starting to go.)

I think the issue is that the suits fits so snugly to limit water flow that it is hard to get off (the only issue I have ever had is getting my arms out!) If you can get the sleeves to "release" your arms, then you're good to go. I still love the suit.

I have multiple suits, including a $2500 Bare drysuit, but the Neotek is my favorite. Once the water gets above 65°F (18.5°C) I start to move to wetsuits and below 45°F (7°C) I prefer the drysuit.

Big plus for me is the pockets and, of course, the cost.

I have gone through 3 of these. I only get about 50-75 dives before I start noticing that the inner neoprene is starting to separate on the forearms. (I still dive it after that, but I know that it is starting to go.)

I think the issue is that the suits fits so snugly to limit water flow that it is hard to get off (the only issue I have ever had is getting my arms out!) If you can get the sleeves to "release" your arms, then you're good to go.

You can't just pull your arm out, turning the sleeve inside out as you go?

I have only used mine once, temp was 53 surface and 50 bottom, and we were down for 68 min, and only 30'. It was very warm, and noticed no real flushing. It seemed to offer better flexibility than my 7/5mm neosport wetsuit. I did seem to notice my feet more this dive than on previous ones even at lower temps, but that is because my boots are only 3mm with vents. I could also tell a big difference between my lower legs (below the seal) and upper (above the seal). It really made a big difference. The interior lining is very comfortable.

Only issues, as others have said - last bit of zipper is tough by myself, and getting my arms out was tough.

You can't just pull your arm out, turning the sleeve inside out as you go?
Tried that on me first suit and not only was it difficult to do, but it damaged the sleeves pretty significantly in a short amount of time.

Thanks guys! I know Bare has the radiant/infrared lining but I like the pockets on this one. I appreciate the feedback, I'll just have to order them both and see which one fits better. I should probably buy a dry-suit but I just don't like them for some reason.

Thanks guys! I know Bare has the radiant/infrared lining but I like the pockets on this one. I appreciate the feedback, I'll just have to order them both and see which one fits better. I should probably buy a dry-suit but I just don't like them for some reason.
For what it’s worth, I bought the neotek first, used it for about 10 dives, then bought a seaskin neoprene drysuit. Haven’t used the semidry since. Not only is it warmer in cold water, it’s also more comfortable to wear in hot weather when the water is still cool. Wish I could get the money back I spent on the neotek.

Do you find yourself having to fiddle with the air inflation a lot?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom