My first stonefish/demon stinger incident... ouch ouch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, things took a turn for the worse, as systemic issues presented. Still no localised problems at the site of the sting - hot water definitely treated that. Other venom toxins must have entered my system that weren't denatured by the hot water.

After the last post (8 Mar) the arrythmia became worse and I also suffered from tachycardia and weakness.

Envenomation + 96 hours. Suffering arrythmia and tachycardia, which was stopping me falling asleep. Minor fever symptoms and feel very weak.

Envenomation + 146 hours. Tried to take a bag of trash to the chute outside the condo. Heart was racing with the effort to walk 20m.

Envenomation + 170 hours. First time to leave the condo since Mar 8 (i.e. when I got home after the sting), as I tried to go out for a late lunch to a restaurant 100m from my building. Felt extremely weak, to the point of exhaustion/trembling, just walking 100m up the road. Partner said I looked 'grey'.

Envenomation + 180 hours. At bedtime my pulse was very weak (caused concern to the doctor) and shallow breathing.

Envenomation + 192 hours (today). Occasional arrythmia persisting. Very low energy and listlessness.

Wow that is CRAZY!

There's no treatment for the venom to help with recovery? Hope you feel better soon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gosh Andy. You are going through a tough time. Hope you feel better soon! Thanks for sharing this experience with us.

Have you figured out how you will know when you can dive again?

Hey mate. You don't know me, but I really enjoyed your buoyancy masterclass articles, and your profile caught by eye because I have fond memories of Subic and Olongapo (worked on a David Hasslehoff movie there back in '95 and have been meaning to get back ever since). We get these critters here too, and this has been a useful heads-up to stay well away from them. You don't have antivenom there? Anyway, chin up, mate, and all the best for a speedy recovery.

EDIT: don't look too closely at the 'similar threads' list at the bottom of this page, ok?

The similar threads... hmmm.... that's funny. I'm fascinated by these critters - always spotting them on dives and had a few close calls before, because they're so well hidden under the sand. Made some big changes to my teaching over the last 12 years because of - no more drills over the sand. The one that caught me out was just unluckily near a really cool decorator crab that I'd stopped by to point out for my photo customers. I never normally touch the sand - pride in my buoyancy and wariness of the stonefish - so the odds of getting stung were really low.

Anti-venom = no such thing in the Philippines. I'm lucky that my partner is a doc - so I've been monitored closely. Made inquiries about the anti-venom and they were perplexed - they only seem to know that you could get it for Philippines Cobras (which are a major risk in rural areas).

Last night, the doc was really struggling to find a pulse - I was pretty cold. Kinda worrying - as I don't know if there will be any long term repercussions. As for diving again... when I can run a few km without going grey - then it's time to get back in the water with customers. It's really kinda hard to predict how long - I'm the eternal optimist when it comes to my health, so I'm not used to anything that doesn't clear up after a few days rest.

Sorry if my last reply seemed glib, by the way. That sounds bloody horrible. In your favour, I guess, is the fact that you were only hit by one spine and did everything exactly right thereafter. Glad to hear you have good medical assistance close.

Thanks again for sharing the experience with everyone.

I think the only bright side is that it was not a Reef Stonefish :)

I am sure you will be diving in a couple of weeks. It might be a good idea to have one of those "executive" check-ups we hear advertised on the radio.

Cheers,
Roger

Hope you

Man, Andrew, that really bites. You're surely are lucky that your dive buddy is a doc.

There an antivenin shown to be effective against systemic manifestations of such an envenomation and one should be able to order it on an emergency basis from OZ if they can't find a closer source (Welcome to CSL Biotherapies Australia).

In your case, however, I'm not sure of the serum's efficacy when the first administration is more than 8 days post-envenomation.

BTW, this is not benign drug and can be associated with some very serious adverse reactions.

The very best of luck.

Regards,

DocV

Am so lining up DAN evac to the best hospital anywhere if I hit one of those beasts...!! :eek:

Hang in there devondiver. I hate to hear that all of this has happened to you. I enjoy reading your articles and gleaning dive info from your posts.

Best wishes and prayers for a full recovery.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom