My first set of gear scuba pro Yeh or Neh LOOK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But buying before you're certified and really have any clue what will work for you is an entirely different thing.

Yep. It doesn't matter if the recommended gears are good and serviceable. WHY BUY ALL THESE THINGS BEFORE YOU'RE CERTIFIED?

Why make the assumption that you're going to be certified? Just because a million other people out there are certified, it doesn't necessarily mean that YOU are going to be certified. Just because a million other people out there love diving so much that they spend every red cent they make on gears, it doesn't necessarily mean that YOU are going to have the same enthusiasm.

I see this sort of thing in the motorcycle scene all the time. People buying expensive motorcycles before they even know how to ride and then they found out that riding isn't for them and now they have a twenty thousand dollars motorcycle that they'll have to sell for half if they're lucky.

There shouldn't even be any talk in this thread at all about whether or not the offered prices were good or the proposed equipment is good. The shop could have recommended DSS backplate/wing and Atomic Aquatics regulators for 50% off MSRP and I will still tell the OP the same thing: WAIT UNTIL YOU'RE QUALIFIED.

Good shops will allow you to try out a bunch of gear before buying

Very true. Good shops will have a range of gear from a variety of manufacturers available to try in the pool OR rent for diving to anyone interested in buying it.

Bad shops only stock 1 or 2 brands of gear and try to force that on people regardless. These are shops to avoid.

The amount of money i see wasted by new divers who fall for the shops trick, spend hundreds of pounds on kit only to find later it doesnt suit them, isnt comfortable for them, isnt needed and end up replacing is amazing.

Really nobody should be buying gear until they're (i) qualified and (ii) have tried lots of different kit.

I went to a local dive shop today to sign up for my cert. I really like the environment and the instructor I spoke with. I didn't even have to ask questions they were right on the ball. But they wanna sell me some very expensive equipment. Here is a list of the equipment they want to sell me, I need you guys to help me since I was set on buying used.

SubaPro MK25/S600 Regulator

ScubaPro Air2 Alternative air source and inflator

ScubaPro NIGHTHAWK BCD

ScubaPro Aladin Prime wrist mount Computer

Now they will make a package for $1000.00. BUT the package will only include Regulator, BCD W/O Alternative Air source, this will be a $125.00 upgrade, If I decide to go with the Aladine Prime 3 Gauge console that will be and additional $125.00 upgrade Other wise they will include the wrist mount computer in the package. No fins, Mask, Snorkel, Wet Suite, Weights, Nor tank. If I do all upgrades through them it will cost me a total of Approx $1300.00 Just for my bcd setup. What do you think I should do. Also the bcd they are trying to sell me they said would work in warm water or cold water, They said not many bcd's do. I want all my gear to be able to work warm and cold. I will be a recrreational diver and doing some wrecks. Also they said if I buy all scuba pro their will be a lifetime warranty on everything. What do you think. And remeber If I go with them I will be taking my OW cert and Advance Cert. What do you think, me personally they can work on the price, since I can get the same stuff on line with tank, fins, mask, snorkel, wet suite, for a little under 1500.00

FWIW, I got almost the same SP package (it has Air2) for $1250 new. My understanding, not that I've been diving long, is although dive gear is expensive initially, if you take care of it, it'll have a very long lifetime.

FWIWMy understanding, not that I've been diving long, is although dive gear is expensive initially, if you take care of it, it'll have a very long lifetime.

In theory. In reality not always, Most divers end up changing large parts if not all of their kit once they start diving regularly and begin to know what particular bits of kit suit them and which dont.
A large number of divers end up "buying twice" as a result.

My advice...rent the equipment for your check out dives and make sure the sport is for you. Scuba equipment is very personal. You will find on boards like this everyone likes what they have and thinks it is the best. But the reality is that at any given price point there is good equipment for different types of diving. Take regulators for example. The Mk25/S600 is considered Scubapro flagship model (although there are many that would say the Mk17 is better but that is a different discussion), there are comparable regs from other manufacturers. Additionally while the a top dollar reg may be the easiest breather in existence a reg half the price is still a very good piece of equipment that provides more than enough air and can serve you for years. When it comes time to buy equipment buy what you like and can afford. You can still enjoy diving safely with equipment that is not the most expensive or the flagship piece of a manufacturer. I have been diving for 15 years and still use an entry level regulator I bought when I started. It has been on all types of dives and has served me well. Only now am I considering getting something different.

Other items like masks, fins, boots, gloves and even BCDs are really about the fit vs. the manufacturer. Body type and preferences have so much to do with how things fit. Personal choice is so important in things like jacket style BCD vs back plates and wings and/or back inflation. The only way you are going to determine what you like is trying some out. Don't be in a hurry to get something just for the sake of getting something.

While the business model of offering certification classes to sell equipment is sound, it is unfortunate that there are some LDS that take advantage of this relationship and are too much into "hard selling" equipment to the new diver. They push the idea that it is safer to buy your equipment early so that you can use it on check out dives and be familiar with it, etc. When in reality it would be better do some diving with rental equipment and see what you like and dislike. Also much like car dealers they only want you to buy what they sell. If the dealer only sells Scubapro then it is highly unlikely that they are going to encourage you to look at and/or buy a Seaquest/Aqualung BCD, even it is fits and functions better for your preferences. Having all matching equipment is not necessary.

Computers are a different game in of themselves. Interfaces, algorithms, functions, etc. all come into play. I personally am a huge fan of dive computers and would encourage anyone that can afford one to purchase one. However, I also think that in the initial dives working with the tables and planning dives within is a good skill to know. Dive computers seem to make people forget about it.

I am curious about the advice you got regarding BCs. Since a BC displaces water to make you more buoyant, how can it work more or less well in warm or cold water?

I would assume the statement was meant to reference the fact that not all BCD's have the same lift capacity (although I know nothing about the Scubapro BCD in question). In general (obviously there are exceptions) BCD's geared to warm/travel diving are smaller and have less lift capacity (save space and weight for packing), while BCD's geared to cold and/or tech diving have much higher lift capacities because of the much higher demands. The statement was likely meant to say the BCD has enough lift capacity to be used in colder waters generally higher demand but it can always be used in less demanding situations (i.e warm water's less demanding lift situations) while some warm water BCDs with less capacity are not recommended for more demanding cold water situations.

I agree with drdaddy....slow down. There is the remote possibility that this may not be right for you. There was a person in my OW class who dropped out because of not being comfortable underwater. Its better to wait and make sure that this is something that you will continue to do before dropping $1,300 on equipment.

If you finish and want to continue, try different brands and styles until you find what you like and what makes you comfortable, because that is what will make your dives more enjoyable!

Good luck with your class!

i too am recently certified (since oct 08) and bought my kit right off the bat. i've got to say depending on personal tastes there is something behind owning your own stuff. i've squeezed in 22 dives on my stuff, and i've got to say i very comfortable and competent. i think there's additional value in learning on and diving the same gear. i can honestly say that the learning curve was somewhat blunted.

for BCD, reg & computer i bought the Knighthawk with Air2, MK17/S555 & Aladin Prime at MSRP (total ~$1,220) - free computer. i also got the class for free. i've got to say the Scubapro equipment is top notch. it's not as flashy as some of the other gear out there, but it's very well made and easy to use.

i plan on diving 50+ time per year and felt that the investment in gear made sense. i'm also at a point financially where i can afford it. if i dove say, less than 10 tanks per year, i would not have made the investment.

i just got back from a trip to Nassau, Bahamas. i did the Stuart Cove's Shark Adventure. there were 12 other divers, most of whom owned there own gear. all of them had very expensive kit, i.e., air-integrated computers, Henderson Hyperstrech wetsuits, etc. none of them were very good with their gear or dove often. i wondered to myself why drop so much money in gear? i suppose that's a personal decision as well.

as for my kit, i'm happy with all of it except for the Aladin Prime. it's a little awkward to use, and took a couple dives to figure it out - not too intuitive. would i have bought it? no. but for the free-with-purchase, it'll work fine for a year, then i'll upgrade. the Aladin is very bulky. i like the look & feel the Suunto & Aeris. what i have will work for now though. then it'll serve as a good back-up, perhaps on a console. at least i now know what i really want in a computer - small, wrist mounted, easy to use with big easy to read display.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom