My First Night Dive Didn't Go Too Well

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congrats on not gving up! It took a lot of guts. Night diving is a totally different experience. Personally, I only night dive on good viz conditions and I have a light stick attached to my tank, an eight D Cell dive light and a back up light to boot. I like to "Light the reef up" when I'm down.

Congrats on not gving up! It took a lot of guts. Night diving is a totally different experience. Personally, I only night dive on good viz conditions and I have a light stick attached to my tank, an eight D Cell dive light and a back up light to boot. I like to "Light the reef up" when I'm down.
Best thing with a good primary is that you have something to blind the a-hole that keep flashing his light in your face with :p

Thanks for a great post.

It's always nice to know that everyone has one of those moments every once in awhile.

Good for you for getting back in and getting past your fear.

My first night dive was scary, not as bad as your experience, but after the first one I was not so sure I would be doing too much night diving. Just like you I like being able to 'see'
I did my next night dive a few weeks later and was really glad I did. I still like diving during the day but night diving has its benefits too.

Happy Diving

I found that dealing with the darkness and unexpected problems (one VERY leaky mask @ 85 fsw on my first ever night dive [Fast Lanes on Kauai] and another time spinning vertically while caught up in fishing line still attached to the fisherman while my instructor/dive buddy was dealing with his own entanglement issue) on night dives was EXCELLENT training for dealing with issues on day dives.

Bottom line is that if you're still getting air from your reg and you're not bleeding (much), you have time to think your way through the problem. Remain calm and take slow, deliberate actions.

My night diving has definitely made me a better day diver.

My night diving has definitely made me a better day diver.

That is exactly what/is my motivation to do night diving. I can take all the classes in the world but there is nothing more important than gaining real life experiance:wink1:
Thanks,
John

Best thing with a good primary is that you have something to blind the a-hole that keep flashing his light in your face with :p

Well said, apparently you've been there too.

That is exactly what/is my motivation to do night diving. I can take all the classes in the world but there is nothing more important than gaining real life experiance:wink1:
Thanks,
John

Absolutely! My wife has been worried about night dives, so that has limited the number we have done. However, we had a "real life experience" in August that significantly changed her attitude--a recreational night dive from hell.

Basically, the DMs should have called it off because of the wind and waves and it was made worse by the boat anchoring in only 17 ft of water over the reef. Way too much surge in full 3-D motion, plus there were too many divers for the conditions. My wife was knocked over on the deck by the surge just as she was about to giant stride. Bruised but not badly.

In the water, it was mayhem with too many people, guide impossible to identify, surge pulling us up and casting us down. So much so that we got ankle cuts from the lettuce coral. Trying to avoid reef/people contact was difficult. My wife and I solved some of the difficulties, each of us placing a finger through a D ring on the other's BCD. It made us significantly more buoyantly stable and we could not lose each other among other divers. More fun occurred when my primary light died (LED module overheated and failed) half way through. Swam for 45 min having seen almost nothing, then got sick on deck (along with about 6 others) while waiting for everyone to return.

It was a real life experience. Not pleasant by any means, but one of those events in which, in an ironic way, you are glad to have participated. We are no longer novice divers, having moved to the intermediate category. This dive contributed to that step up. It was a "not fun" dive, but the experience certainly made us better. As a result, my wife has become much more enthusiastic about more ordinary night dives.

I'd be cool with nothing but "ordinary night dives" :wink:

It never ceases to amaze me despite the best efforts of some "pros" to get people hurt or do something to scare them out of the water forever how many of us still take the "positive" from that.....

It never ceases to amaze me despite the best efforts of some "pros" to get people hurt or do something to scare them out of the water forever how many of us still take the "positive" from that.....
Thats why we dive... To piss off the ones that try scaring us off :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom