My First Night Dive Didn't Go Too Well

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey John
I just ran across this thread today so I am a little late jumping in and I have only "browsed" the other posts so please forgive me if I repeat what has already been said. First of all, thanks for a great post and congrats! You SUCCEEDED. I can promise you that in the future your night dives will just get better and better.

I simply LOVE night diving. I LOVE the feeling of being isolated in the water and listening to the regulator. To me it's great, but I can understand others would not like it.

I thought at first, "John, what were you thinking??!!" Night diving with only 5 dives under your belt??" Then I looked back into my own dive log to see when I took my first night dive and it was my 6th after certification!

However, that was 25 years ago and we did A LOT of diving to even get certified back then. Nevertheless, you'll find that part of the reason that you had any anxiety at all was simply you still weren't very comfortable (I would guess) with all the skills involved in diving. You'll find that the more you dive, the more certain skills that you now must concentrate on to accomplish will become second nature. This will enable you to be thrust into a new environment (like the night!) and still function without too much stress because the only thing "new" is the new environment.

You were thrust into this new environment which robbed you of a lot of your sensory feedback (especially visual) when still new to diving. That is a LOT to be handed to anyone. Great job John! Your con did a great job too.

I also dangle a light from my belt and I like to use a strobe (or make sure my buddy has one!) I frequently dive in poor visibility and find that often divers get separated on the initial descent. If this happens, don't look for them with your light ON, turn your light OFF and look for their light's glow. you'll be amazed at how much easier that is to see. If I am following my buddy, often I turn my light OFF because I can easily see and follow him that way. You should try it. Keep in mind however that your buddy can see you, so if you see him looking around for you, shine a beam at him! :D

I also love diving where the plankton glows at night. it's great.

In fresh water a lot of fish can be found sleeping. You'll have to lead to see them sometimes though.

Oh, one more thing. I didn't see any comment on how comfortable you were with your gear and the water temperature. I find that water temp and gear familiarity play a BIG part in being comfortable at night. If I am cold, it is much more uncomfortable at night then during the day. Make sure that you are warm and familiar with your gear.

Keep up the progress and be blessed! Enjoy the night!

Im hoping my buddy doesnt mind me tugging his BCD the whole way down,
:

I tied a bright yellow rope to my husband's BCD our first night dive. I held onto it until we got down..then never used it for the rest of the dive and never used it again after that. It made me feel more secure just knowing no matter what happened, I wasn't going to loose contact with him. Some people on the boat kinda laughed at me, but I didn't care because I was going to do what ever it took for me to feel safe. I'm sure everyone made it a point to stay away from me on that dive!!:D

I also dangle a light from my belt and I like to use a strobe (or make sure my buddy has one!) I frequently dive in poor visibility and find that often divers get separated on the initial descent. If this happens, don't look for them with your light ON, turn your light OFF and look for their light's glow. you'll be amazed at how much easier that is to see. If I am following my buddy, often I turn my light OFF because I can easily see and follow him that way. You should try it. Keep in mind however that your buddy can see you, so if you see him looking around for you, shine a beam at him! :D

I also love diving where the plankton glows at night. it's great.

In fresh water a lot of fish can be found sleeping. You'll have to lead to see them sometimes though.

Oh, one more thing. I didn't see any comment on how comfortable you were with your gear and the water temperature. I find that water temp and gear familiarity play a BIG part in being comfortable at night. If I am cold, it is much more uncomfortable at night then during the day. Make sure that you are warm and familiar with your gear.

Keep up the progress and be blessed! Enjoy the night!

Great suggestions about the light:wink:
I was trying to remember if I was cold, but I don't think that even crossed my mind on that dive (lol).
I have to admit this dive seems like a long time ago now and have done several dives between then and now including another night dive (that one went great!). This past weekend I met up with one of the other divers from this night dive. We were talking about it and he siad "you might have thought you did several 360's, but in reality you probably did a couple of 90's. I said, without any visual reference you are probably right (lol).
Now I'm really excitted to do a night dive in Maui next month:D
Thanks,
John

Hi AZjohn I also just found this and I realize it is a old post, but as you can see it is a never ending one. People will always have this experience and hats off for having the courage to kit back up right then and there.
Now why I am replying to you, I am sure because of the time line you have had other night dives. When us your main light dont ever turn it off once you have gone subsurface. Cup the light or point it at your body to find others. If your light malfunctions it usually will happen at when you turn it back on. Now I did not read the whole thread, someone may have said this. safe diving kev

WOW John......
First I want to thank my dive buddy crd_kats for forwarding this to me.....your the best....
BUT thank god I didn't read this before my first night dive.....

Secondly, GO YOU...for not giving up and for getting back in the water....I think that is THE hardest part.... ESPECIALLY, when you know what awaits you..

Actually, I felt a similar panic when my light shut off RIGHT before we did the back up light drill..... I thought my dive buddies wouldn't even notice I was gone, I thought I was going to get swallowed by the reef gods (crazy huh??)When I realized I had my back up light, I was already above my instructor and engulfed by his bubbles....apparently, my breathing was making me ascend......
When I saw them looking for me, I was able to control my emotions, and get my back up light and continue the dive.....but it wasn't easy....

Kudoos to your con that came looking for you, and guided you back down....

Reading this, I can't tell you HOW GLAD I AM that my first night dive was not only at dusk but also from the shore.... I guess in some way it was comforting to know I was by land and not in the "ocean".

Good Job John

*It's incredible how your mind takes over, huh?

Last edited:
Actually, I felt a similar panic when my light shut off RIGHT before we did the back up light drill..... I thought my dive buddies wouldn't even notice I was gone, I thought I was going to get swallowed by the reef gods (crazy huh??)
Not Crazy to me:wink:

When I realized I had my back up light, I was already above my instructor and engulfed by his bubbles....apparently, my breathing was making me ascend......
When I saw them looking for me, I was able to control my emotions, and get my back up light and continue the dive.....but it wasn't easy....
*It's incredible how your mind takes over, huh?

Boy, I can so relate to how your mind takes over. Outstanding job for you to overcome your emotions, solve the light issue, and then continue your dive:D
I think that is what practise diving is all about, overcoming our mental demon's and do what we were taught!
Thanks,
John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom