My first liveaboard.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MUFC

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is it recommended to take 2 of anything?

I dive with an Atomic Subframe mask which is great and a back up Scubapro mask. Trying to keep costs down I dont want to spend on a back up computer if I can help it.

Think about this. You get out of the water first, take off your kit and put it in it's rack. You get up to shower, and while doing so, your bumbling seatmate staggers to his spot next to yours, misses, and crushes your dive computer with his tank. Yes, everyone feels bad, but you are the one with the broken kit. Make sure the boat has some rental kit before you don't buy one, I've seen it happen.

I bought a second computer just before a Galapagos trip. Didn't need it then, but since then it has saved three dives

I went through this same thought process when planning my first liveaboard a year or so ago. As the trip costs were starting to add up, I decided not to spend the money on a backup dive computer. Fortunately, I did not end up needing one. On the boat, I was very careful about where I left my computer and how I treated it. But still, you can't do anything about a computer that fails for no apparent reason. A backup computer is presently at the very top of my list of planned gear purchases.

Backup computer. Fin straps that fit your fins. Mask straps.
o-rings for your camera. Batteries for everything. ( dive lights, computers, camera). My first live aboard, I broke a fin strap the first dive. I had an extra fin strap but didn't realize it didn't fit my stupid fin. Luckily, the operator happened to have some extra small fins ( I have tiny feet) or I would have been sunk. We were in the boonies of Pemba Island, Africa. There were no dive shops to buy or rent gear.
have a great trip. You need a back up computer. Pick up a cheap or used one.

On a live aboard, there are no dive shops. While the crew will most likely have some spare parts, it's best if you bring extra's of mask straps, fin straps, o-rings for your reg, camera, lights, etc., silicone grease, a back up dive computer, a back up mask and an SBM. I can't tell you how many times I have seen folks jump off a boat without an SBM. Pack extra batteries or even better yet, rechargables. Don't forget converters and I bring a surge strip. I'm a plug pig and my usual roomie actually uses it as well. We are both photographers and use lots of batteries. Also, the crew may not be able or certified to fix your reg. Having extras of some things is an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. At the very least you use equipment you might not be comfortable with. In a worst case scenario, it could mean snorkeling rather than diving. Check with your dive shop. They may have used or rental computers that will be much less expensive than a new computer for a back up. And if you can't afford the back up, see if your dive shop will rent you one.

Where folks generally overpack is clothes. Life is very casual and everything does get wet or damp. Depending on the length of the trip, a couple of pairs of shorts, 4 or 5 tee shirts (one long sleeved), a light weight jacket and boat shoes are about all you need. I generally will bring multiple swim suits. I like to get warm and dry after each dive and I can spread the wet suit out on the deck to dry while I'm underwater again. The only time you will need "real" shoes and possibly long pants are for the air trip to the boat and back home again. I leave all my jewelry home. I use my wrist computer as a watch and alarm clock. My contacts come out the first day of the trip and go back in when I head home. I DO pack 2 pairs of glasses and I have seen them accidently go into the drink.

Further to what didi440 said, I brought way too much in the way of clothing on my first liveaboard earlier this year, though I didn't have much choice since I had stuff with me that I needed on a land-based part of my trip. On board, the first thing that happened was the cruise director had us put our shoes in a bin, and from then on we were barefoot everywhere on the boat all the time. I found that I could get by with two swimsuits, a single pair of shorts and few pairs of underwear, and a couple of t-shirts. I brought many extra pairs of contact lenses, since I don't dive with a prescription mask.

MUFC (surely it should be RFC?)

I have twice had computers fail on liveaboards. When the batteries start to go on a Suunto, they go very quickly. eg 4 bars showing in UK, 2 bars on arrival, computer ceases working on dive 8.

I now travel with a backup computer (Gekko purchased for £135 at the dive show), its quite a good insurance.

Re general packing for a lob: there are a few posts on SB on this subject & they contain a common truth - don't pack too many clothes. Do pack important spares mask/batteries/medicines etc.

Hope you have a great trip - where are you off to?

John

no need two of everything, just some soft parts, easily breakable things, spare betteries, things that are unique to your gears. For common, like yoke o-rings .... I think the boat should have. So last time, I brought extra o-rings for my lights, camera, mask strap, fin strap. None were needed. But my computer/transmitter went out of batteries without warming. So next time, I will add spare batter kit for computer. (I will ditch the transmitter all together)

Find out what the boat has. Then think about what would cost you a dive, or all the dives of your trip, and pack two of those things, if the boat does not rent them. If one is a computer . . . well, buy a used one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom