My first dive with Halcyon Pioneer 27 lbs BP/WING

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

do you need an STA with the 27lb Pioneer wings (the
lastest models.) I did a search on the board
and found different answers.

A question for Halcyon 27 owners... I've heard that the straps are a bit uncomfortable... is this true? Is it because the straps are raw webbing and not padded? If I do find them uncomfortable, can't I just add a thin layer of neoprene at the back for padding?

good to see another BP convert!

its true that harness adjustment will take awhile at first but once it fits, it will you perfectly! I used white marker on the harness waist straps on the backside of the plate to mark how much of the webbing I need to pull "in-" or "out." Just line them up and you can go from wet to dry in a matter of minutes.

As far as sta, its a matter of preference. I will be getting an sta so I can get rid of my harness and dive without any ditchable weight

jplacson once bubbled...
A question for Halcyon 27 owners... I've heard that the straps are a bit uncomfortable... is this true? Is it because the straps are raw webbing and not padded? If I do find them uncomfortable, can't I just add a thin layer of neoprene at the back for padding?
For some people they are uncomfortable out of the water, though not for me. And while diving they are extremely comfortable; you don't even feel them. It probably depends on whether you dive wet or dry; maybe in a thin wetsuit, padding would make sense. But in a dry suit or thick wetsuit, if the straps are fitted properly, you won't be bothered by them in the water.

Margaret

Ok, thanks... will be checking out my local Halcyon dealer here this week for a fitting :)

Oh, I remember that Zeagle makes an SAR and 911 BC... one of them has a built-in lifting harness for chopper lifts...

I was wondering as well if the Halcyon straps are strong enough to carry the weight of a full rig... tank, reg, and some weights... if hung from a D-ring?

...no, I have no intentions of being lifted from a chopper using my BC... but on another thread, a guy attaches a bungee cord to his BC rig to prevent them from being accidentally thrown over-board during a swell or something.

I wanted to do the same... just didn't want to over-stress the D-rings or straps IF by some off-chance my rig gets flung over-board and is hung from a bungee cord.

jplacson once bubbled...
...no, I have no intentions of being lifted from a chopper using my BC... but on another thread, a guy attaches a bungee cord to his BC rig to prevent them from being accidentally thrown over-board during a swell or something.

I wanted to do the same... just didn't want to over-stress the D-rings or straps IF by some off-chance my rig gets flung over-board and is hung from a bungee cord.

The tensile strength of nylon webbing typicallly used for scuba diving is about 4000lbs. How much does your rig weight? :wink:

Hehehehe...MY rig? It's basically just the weight of the tank and the reg. :) I dive with 4 lbs... although I'm thinking of bringing it down to 2 as justtrim weight.

I wasn't sure if the webbing was strong enough... thanks... what about the D-ring, and the point of connection to the webbing? How strong are they?

Thanks for the info! :)

jplacson once bubbled...
Hehehehe...MY rig? It's basically just the weight of the tank and the reg. :) I dive with 4 lbs... although I'm thinking of bringing it down to 2 as justtrim weight.

I wasn't sure if the webbing was strong enough... thanks... what about the D-ring, and the point of connection to the webbing? How strong are they?

Thanks for the info! :)

Not sure on the D-Ring, Fred-T could proably tell you the how much load it would actually be able to tolerate. But, I'm sure it is much more than your rig would weigh, even if you were diving steel doubles.

The "point of connection" is the D-Ring itself. The webbing is routed through the d-ring. There is a retainer clip that keeps the D-Ring in place and is quite a bit weaker, but even if it were to break the D-Ring would only slip up or down, not come loose.

In your scenario, the first thing to break would be the bungie you've used to hold the rig, not the rig itself....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom