My first dive with Halcyon Pioneer 27 lbs BP/WING

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James Goddard once bubbled...

Ok, I'm going to assume for a moment that bringing up the HUB in a BP/Wing thread is not a troll.

Do some searches on the HUB. The general consensis is that the thing is a death trap. Hiden inside the unit is an array of hoses and connectors that signficantly multiple your failure points. In addition the octo is hidden and the inflator is in a complely non-standard location.

hehehehe... sorry... didn't mean to. :p

Oh yes, and I saw all the potential problems the minute I saw the jacket. The hidden octo & non-standard inflator location isn't something I really consider an issue... but I do consider the mechanical working to be a major flaw.

Maybe if you only use this thing for a few months... before all the internal workings start to snag and jam... :p

It's a nice concept though... it just has too many moving parts.

Meanwhile, on the other end of the spectrum is my future Halcyon 27 :) which I wish had at least a shoulder dump :p

divegeek once bubbled...

I DID cut the webbing, but I left about 15". Not that I'm going to do it right away, but do you have a link for a metal shoulder buckle?

(I meant cutting the shoulder strap to put on a buckle :). Trimming the ends is fine)

Use a standard weight buckle. Just like the one that came with your MC system for the waist band. I wouldn't try to attach any kind of "quick disconnect" on to your webbing.

You just slide your sholder in one side then put the other side together with the buckle. When I first tied a BP it was configured this way. I thought I'd give it a chance without and I really never found the need for it. It is actually easier for me to get into my BP/Wing than it ever was getting into my Ranger.

jplacson once bubbled...

I was checking out Dive Rite's as well... seems bigger at 30lbs... and finding a dealer in the Phil is pretty tough.

"Phil" as in Philadelphia? Try NE Scuba Supply, http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/ , they carry both Halcyon and Dive Rite.

Cornfed

jplacson once bubbled...
Oh sorry... I meant Phil, as in The Philippines. Sorry for the confusion. :p

np, that's why you should fill out the "Location" field in your profile...

Back
Top Bottom