My first dive incident (long)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just another post to say you handled it all very well!

Keep on diving & try to get out there with some experienced divers... ones who have patience and remember what it was like to be a newbie.

I too, would dive with you anytime and you'll make a great DM someday!

SP

Great job.

Would encourage you all to suit up with 500psig AL80's & do an appropriate weight check in the local pool. I suspect this, as well as ill-fitting suits, unfamiliarity with the dive site, possible fatigue, and unfamiliar equipment all combined for a harrowing experience. Glad no one went to the hospital (or worse), and glad they only had to pay $113 to learn an important lesson. I hope your friend realizes on Monday that going back for the weights would've been a very, very stupid idea.

Jim

Wijbrandus:
Here's the story. ....snip.....

You did just fine. You all did fine. That's how these things are *supposed* to end.

On that note I might have tried just getting the wife to lay on her back and pump up her BCD. I've had similar experiences with students and just rolling them on their backs and pumping up the BCD usually ends it.... It's something to try but if it doesn't work don't hesitate to dump the weights.

In the "what next" department I'd say take the time to find good fitting gear (wetsuits) and do a buoyancy check. I think your friends averaged about 35lbs (based on the replacement cost) which seems like a lot to me.

R..

Dude,

I know the feeling of wondering if you did the right thing. Here is my story, if you feel like reading it! (not trying to threadjack, just trying to parallel your situation)

I went on a double boat dive with my girlfriend who hadn't dived in over a year. It was our 6th or so dive and our first ever non-divemaster led dive.

I had ALL new gear, bought a few days earlier - head to toe.

It was also my first boat dive ever. I hadn't eaten yet that day either (stupid). It was cold, choppy and to top it off, it was a 25m dive - deeper than any dive either of us had done to date.

Conclusion: The dive majorly sucked. I was worried about my girlfriend the whole time, clumsy as hell due to new gear, sea-sick and breathing heavily. I also had trouble equalizing my ears. It was just generally a SH*TTY dive, so I gave the thumbs up with 1500psi left and decided that was it for the day. Since I was so anxious to get out of the water, I wasn't thinking straight and I neglected to do a safety stop. I ended up worried about DCS for the next 2 days and called D.A.N. just to feel better.

Basically we threw 120 bucks in the toilet because we didnt do the second dive of the day, and we embarassed ourselves because everyone else on the boat had a great time. The boat operators kept trying to get us in the water for the second dive, but we said fuggedaboutit.

In the end, I don't regret our decision at all. I've been diving a lot since - all hassle-free dives, more advanced than the one that overwhelmed me. My confidence is totally back and I don't even care about the money I lost. In an equipment intensive hobby where you're likely to spend TENS OF THOUSANDS over a career, what's 100 bucks in the long run? NOTHING, unless you kick the bucket trying to save those dollars.

There will always be another chance to dive if you don't lie to yourself about your capabilities, or let your friends lie to themselves about theirs.

Me too Robert....If you ever come to Tampa Florida, I'll dive with you also...Take Care..
Rey

Thank you for sharing your experience. This is the only way as Diver's that we can learn. Remember.. No matter how good of a Diver you are........We will always have good and bad dives.. It' part of it. Take Care

I think you did everything right in this situation, and am not sure why you are being criticized for the actions you took and told that you need more training. You made good decisions about aborting the dive and about the weight belts (that's exactly why they have quick releases on them), and you properly handled two panicked divers. I'd say you did a good job, and it would be a fine step for you, based on this story, to take the rescue diver course. I would happily be your dive buddy.
As far as your friends go, Diver B also made a good decision right off the bat to abort. She panicked. Even divers with training and experience can panic. She was able to inflate her own BC, which means she was listening to you a little bit.
I am glad this turned out well, and hope that Roatan is a pleasant enough experience for them that they regain some of the confidence they had before this incident. It's not up to you to tell them, by the way, not to go, that's up to them. Since the diving is a lot more user-friendly down there (relatively shallow, warm and clear), I'd say it's the perfect place for someone who needs experience and confidence to go.

My only concern about your current training is that from what I am understanding, all four of you had the same trainer, and at least two of you were not ready to be in the water on their own. You may be a natural, but they're poorly trained. I have to wonder if some other parts of the training were skimped on that'll bite you in the *** later. Personally, I think you'll do fine, but your friends? Put 'em back in the oven, they ain't done yet.

My wife and I had already found another LDS to take our training from before this incident. Certain experiences during the AOW course in terms of who they sent to the open water portion had already shown me that we weren't going to be happy with the original LDS. My wife in fact certified with the other shop, and we are both much happier with the training there. She had five students in her class and two instructors. For OW, I'm very happy with that ratio.

I too think that with the right environment (warm clear water, next to no lead, and easy diving) that my friends will do much better. I think the combination of heavy gear along with the trepidation of a first dive without a leader really made things difficult for them.

I also intend to "suggest" integrated weights or a harness to them. I don't think they are particularly interested in my backplate setup, but then I have dreams of going tech someday and they don't. No need to push my opinion on them in that regard. Integrated weights would have certainly kept the push-me, pull-me effect from making the situation that much more stressful for them.

I don't plan on bringing up the idea of local diving again, at least not until they have done their trip and are more comfortable with their abilities.

Anyone around Denver willing to take on a rookie diver for local water? :)

Back
Top Bottom