My first dive incident (long)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You mentioned that Diver B had certified in warm water. If I can assume that means warm clear water then this was a major change in conditions.

Any entry level certification can only provide a limited range of experience in terms of conditions. Diving should initially be limited to conditions as good as, or better than, the conditions experienced in OW training. If a new diver forsees substantially less favorable conditions, additional training is advised. In this case, a pool review with a DM would have been helpful. Even more so if you could reasonably wear the same gear in the pool (especially exposure protection) that you would be using for the OW dive.

Your reaction was a good one. I have never seen a weight belt that cost more than an ambulance ride. Good job.

I don't think it sounds like you overreacted at all. Actually, it sounds more like your friends overreacted by panicking so much. You reacted very well, and I can understand them being mad about getting ripped off by the dive shop on the cost of the weights...but I really hope this experience was a wake-up call for them and they realize they need some more training before diving in Roatan.

Have you spoken to your friends since the day of the incident? How are they feeling about everything?

Cathy

I whole heartedly agree with Cancun Mark and TwoBitTxn, for someone with as little experience as you have you did "GREAT". So give yourself a pat on the back. If you weren't there to help them they may have both drowned.

And I have to agree with you about diving in three's, it doesn't seem to work unless you're diving with more experienced divers who possess "good" buddy skills.

As for Roatan, let your friends decide for themselves if they're ready. Just apologise to them for not being able to go due to finances, they should understand and you shouldn't feel guilty about it either.

Last but not least, don't even feel bad about the extra money they spent on the weights. "THEY" cried for help and you were there for them. You handled it perfectly. All three of you came back alive.

And, not bashing your wife but what she saw from a distance was definitely misleading so I hope she learned something too from all this.

Man, you did awesome. In fact, that experience will be crucial to have as part of your Rescue Diver Course (do it, definately worth it). I think they had to much weight to start with, I assume AL80, 7mm and they bought 33lbs ($113/1.7lbs) each, no wonder...........

113.00 divided by 2 =56.50 wo what a cheep price to pay for saving 2 peoples lives. dont second guess yourself. basic OW training is to ditch your weights. sounds like you did the right thing to me

Here is my 2 cents....First of all.. You acted correctly by having the diver dump there weighs. A human life is priceless. They should be both kissing your----for saving them.
You became the leader of this dive... You keep trainning and have them start over...If not find New buddies....I'm glad I did my homework and searched for the best instructors in my area. I and my dive buddy still practice all our drills once a month and more.... Keep Dive!!!! Best to you Rey

I agree with the others about you doing the right thing, it sounds like you really kept your cool. I do hope that couple A & B get some training dives before they go to Roatan. But I think that they will probably also be much more comfortable in the nice warm caribbean waters with a light diveskin. I had a slight bout with hyperventilation once in a skin, vest, and wetsuit combo- it was pretty cold water, and I just couldn't get comfortable so I called the dive before descent. When I got to the shore, someone unzipped my wetsuit and WHEW did I feel better. I sympathize with the woman who had too tight of a wetsuit in the chest, it will definately affect your breathing pattern.

I also did the math when you said how much they had to pay at the dive shop for the weights. I think we probably also need to calculate the cost of the belts themselves, though, so perhaps they weren't wearing quite as much weight as it sounds. $113 - cost of weight belts = $ ? , then divide that difference by the $1.70 per lb.

Hopefully they will not let this negative experience keep them from seeking the additional training that they need in order to become comfortable in the water. Sounds to me as if you are very comfortable, kept your cool, and diffused a potentially life-threatening problem- panic.
Foo

BTW : Robert, if you're ever in Iowa, I'll dive with you anytime.

Bravo!!

A "situation" handled beautifully.

As others have mentioned, 3-person buddy team is a good idea. Typically, 1 diver has a problem, and then you have 2 divers to help correct that problem.

Were no other divers in the area? I would be very surprised if someone wouldn't have been happy to go back in after your weight belts for you if asked. Dive shop should have congratulated you on proper actions of ditching weights and NOT solo diving to retrieve them--but they still deserve compensation for the gear they have to replace and the trouble of replacing it.

Please do take Rescue class as soon as you can fit it in your schedule. You are already acting like a Rescue-trained diver, but you have also had a big dose of "you can't be too well prepared or too well trained when problems happen".

Stick with your friends for their next couple dives, if you're not afraid to do so. They know they need help and they know that you can rise to the occasion, so this should make them more comfortable as they get their much-needed additional experience. If at all possible, get an additional good diver to go along with you so you will be better prepared for what you now know they are capable of.

Again--great job. And thanks for sharing with us.

theskull

theskull:
Bravo!!
Stick with your friends for their next couple dives, if you're not afraid to do so. They know they need help and they know that you can rise to the occasion, so this should make them more comfortable as they get their much-needed additional experience. If at all possible, get an additional good diver to go along with you so you will be better prepared for what you now know they are capable of.

Again--great job. And thanks for sharing with us.

theskull

Good point, maybe take a more experienced diver with, until they become comfortable. Never compromise your own safety, as you would not be able to assist the diver in need.

Back
Top Bottom