My ffm rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TX65

Contributor
Reaction score
I have been getting lots of private messages from an old post and photo of my FFM rig I put together so I thought I would make a new post and detail what my rig is to answer the ongoing questions I receive.

First, let me say, I was trained a commercial diver 25 years ago and this rig works for me based on my experience and training. I heavily practiced in the dark and in a pool before ever diving it in open water so my familiarization with everything is instinctive.

The centerpiece of the rig is a Dive System International Harness Manifold Block used as part of the EXO Dive mask system.

Kirby Morgan Dive Systems | Support | Accessories | EXO-BR

The block has a total 6 ports which I have set up as follows. In the attached photo, I will start with the ports on the bottom and detail them clockwise

Port 1 = Primary 1st stage with pressure gauge attached
Port 2 = Secondary 1st stage with pressure gauge attached.
Port 3 = Port Split feeding back up 2nd stage and drysuit inflation. The backup 2nd stage is on a 6 foot long hose coiled on my chest so a buddy needing gas can grab it from my chest and not have to be too up close and personal trying to breathe. If I am not using a dry suit, I remove the splitter.
Port 4 = BC inflation
Port 5 = Gas supply to Poseidon FFM
Port 6 = Unused but available (small back up gas supply)

You will see on Port 1 and Port 2, the hoses have brass quick disconnects inline, these are heavy duty, commercial diving quick disconnects that are commonly used between a helmet and a bail out bottle. I added a 2nd shut off valve which did not come with the manifold block.

In the photo, you will see Port 2 with a hose not attached to a 1st stage, I either attach that hose it another 1st stage I have and run independent doubles or I can attach that hose to a buddy's 1st stage and use the quick disconnect hook into their gas supply if I need it.

The way I wear the rig is the manifold block is mounted on the left side harness strap over my chest. The gas supply lines run down my chest. The hose to my FFM runs up and around the back of neck and allows me full head movement.

This is why I dive the Kirby Morgan M48 Supermask. Half as many hoses, or less.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom