My Dutch Springs trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I just got in from my trip to Dutch Springs. I was there to do the dives for a nitrox diver certification. I also introduced my buoyancy control training methods to my sister and brother in law.

Dutch Springs is large by comparison to Joe's. Right at eight time bigger. Deepest part is 110 feet. Our deepest dive was only to 62 feet with most of the divnig between 30 and 40 feet. They have several very large platforms there which are needed to accomodated the large number of people who dive there and do classes. The water was not near as clod as I expected it to be although it was chill at 60 feet. Water clarity/viz was much more than I expected due to a large population of zebra mussels. They blanket many objects in the quarry just as they do in the Great Lakes. They have a lot of stuff sunk there but we limited ourselves to the shallow end where the training platforms are and saw only a couple of items i.e. the fire truck, and a boat or two.

Dutch Springs has restrooms, changing rooms and showers. There was a rock climbing structure there as well. They have on site air and nitrox fills. We saw several staff members there but only dealt with a few for the customary paperwork and paying of fees. We did get to talk to one guy and he told about the place. He was friendly and quite sociable and glad we had enjoyed our visit there.

It was quite breezy the day we were there and at 47 acres of water surface Dutch Springs is big enough to get a little choppy which gives one a little more of an open water feel when at the surface.

I think it would be fun to go back there ans spend a couple of days diving to checkout as much of the quarry as possible and visit as many of the sunken attractions as possible.

All in all a fun afternoon of diving at an enjoyable location.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom