My dive computer is too conservative, what can I do ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben0102

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello hello,

Here's my problem. I've just bought a Suunto Zoop Novo, but I realise that the algorithm used is on average significantly more conservative than that of the dive computers of the people I dive with (for example Aqualung). I'm not at all in favour of excessive risk-taking, but I'm thinking more and more that Suunto's conservatism isn't really justified, since other computers allow longer NDLs at the same depth (again, I'm thinking in particular of Aqualung), and yet they're widely used by dive clubs all over the world, without causing a significantly higher number of accidents (tell me if I'm wrong on this point). I realise the same thing when I compare the NDL given by my Suunto with the PADI dive tables, which are also more liberal.

I'd also like to stick with my dive computer as I like everything else so much.

I was thinking of a solution that would allow me to slightly reduce the conservatism of my computer: set it to an O2 level slightly higher than the one I actually use (Nitrox 25% if I dive with air, for example), so as to obtain results close to the PADI dive table when I plan my dives with the computer.

Is this taking a risk? What could be dangerous?

Thx a lot for your responses !

Have you checked the settings because you can adjust how conservative it is. I would not change the Nitrox setting to get more bottom time. I have had a Suunto Cobra for over 20 years and I have never had to cut a dive short or been locked out of it and I am not a conservative diver by any means.

Hello hello,

Here's my problem. I've just bought a Suunto Zoop Novo, but I realise that the algorithm used is on average significantly more conservative than that of the dive computers of the people I dive with (for example Aqualung). I'm not at all in favour of excessive risk-taking, but I'm thinking more and more that Suunto's conservatism isn't really justified, since other computers allow longer NDLs at the same depth (again, I'm thinking in particular of Aqualung), and yet they're widely used by dive clubs all over the world, without causing a significantly higher number of accidents (tell me if I'm wrong on this point). I realise the same thing when I compare the NDL given by my Suunto with the PADI dive tables, which are also more liberal.

I'd also like to stick with my dive computer as I like everything else so much.

I was thinking of a solution that would allow me to slightly reduce the conservatism of my computer: set it to an O2 level slightly higher than the one I actually use (Nitrox 25% if I dive with air, for example), so as to obtain results close to the PADI dive table when I plan my dives with the computer.

Is this taking a risk? What could be dangerous?

Thx a lot for your responses !
Faking out your computer with the incorrect FiO2 is not a solution. Get a new computer running an acceptable decompression algorithm.

Within limits, you can make a liberal computer more conservative; you can't make a more conservative computer more liberal
It has an adjustment for conservatism, yes, it tends to be more conservative, but can be adjusted to match other algorithms. I have since moved on from my Vyper Novo, but I was able to adjust it to match (roughly) buddy's computer.

According to the online manual, you can adjust the algorithm to 1 of 3 options under Personal Adjustment:

0 Ideal conditions (default value).
1 Conservative. Some risk factors or conditions exist.
2 More conservative. Several risk factors or conditions
exist.

To change the personal and altitude adjustment settings:
1. While in a dive mode, keep [DOWN] pressed.
2. Press [SELECT] to enter Personal Altitude settings.
3. Press [UP] to change the Personal adjustment and confirm with [SELECT] .
4. Press [UP] to change the Altitude adjustment and confirm with [SELECT] .
5. Press [MODE] to exit.

Note - I don't own a Zoop (I have a Perdix) so I'm just relating what the manual says.

Within limits, you can make a liberal computer more conservative; you can't make a more conservative computer more liberal.
I think it depends on the computer -- some come pre-set to the most conservative setting. For example, the Mares Puck Pros that my son and I have came from the factory set to the most conservative setting, and after realizing that our NDL times were short, we changed settings and eventually went with the least conservative setting (which is not significantly different from my Perdix 2 for my recreational dive profiles), and NDL time was no longer making us end the dive before other divers on our group dives.

That said, OP will need to check his Zoop user manual to see if it offers similar adjustment. EDIT: from the post above, posted about the same time as my post, it appears the Zoop may ship with the least conservative setting already -- if so, a different computer may be the answer. EDIT-2: I also agree that I would not try to manipulate the Nitrox settings to accomplish your goal of a less conservative setting.

What kind of grade did you get in 5th grade for your science project? I bet it was a good one!

So......there is no problem with tricking the computer in order to perform a little experiment with your own central nervous system; what is the worst that could happen? a little paralysis, wearing diapers for the rest of your life, not a big deal.

Sell the damn computer and buy something that works.

Back
Top Bottom