My DIR-F "report"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Derek S

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I've been trying to sit down and figure out how I wanted to write my trip report for my DIR-F class, and decided that I've got a serious case of writer's block. Quite ironic for someone who has a degree in its intimacies. I'm just going to type, and we'll see where that gets us.
biggrin.gif

Thursday Mar 17th –

I arrived at Ft. Lauderdale slightly behind schedule, the flight was delayed due to strong turbulence in Northern FL (from what I understand, they had a tornado rip through there, a buddy of mine was there for cave diving at the same time I was in South FL). Having only seen a few smallish pics of Cody on dir-diver.com, I wasn’t 100% sure what he looked like. I called his cell phone, but it went right to voicemail, and the voicemail cut me off within 10 seconds. A few minutes later I notice a guy wearing a GUE cap, I figure it has to be him, and sure enough, it is.

My bags finally make their way around the conveyor belt, and I grab them. Incidentally, I used neon yellow zip-ties on my luggage, and they worked like a charm for identification and security purposes. Cody and I make small talk on the trip from the airport to his place. It is interesting because he is originally from the Syracuse NY area, as am I. During our commute, it starts to rain. This rain eventually turns into a deluge a little later that night and has me worrying about the weather for the rest of the week (leave it to me to be in South FL the only week that it is totally crappy out). Seeing as it was St. Patrick’s Day, Cody decided to whip up some Corned Beef Hash for dinner. Being part Irish I surely didn’t complain, and found out firsthand that the legends are true, this guy can cook!

Friday Mar 18th –

We woke up Friday morning and after a delicious breakfast of eggs and Canadian bacon, got right down to business. Cody gave an overview of the course, his expectations of himself as an instructor as well as mine as a student, and started going into a little history of WKPP/GUE/DIR. Most of it was stuff I had already read about before on the internet, but it was still cool hearing it. He wanted to impress upon me the importance of leading by example. He is not happy with the bad rep that DIR divers have received lately as being elitist arses who patently label everyone who isn’t 100% with the DIR program a stroke. He did mention that yes, there may be times where the term applies, don’t bother using it because it simply alienates people and we would rather have someone come over to “the dark side” after seeing us hang motionless on a deco stop for 3-5 minutes or to hover nary a few inches from the bottom not stirring up any silt whatsoever than to push someone away forever because we called them a silly name.

Next we went over buoyancy, trim, weighting, and balance. Ahh my arch nemeses, for I know them well. He explained that so many divers overwork themselves needlessly, all because they carry extra weight. I was relieved when he rationalized that it isn’t entirely new divers’ fault. He said that most new and relatively new divers will have incorrect balance and trim and the fact that some instructors purposely overweight their students definitely exacerbates the issue. Cody said that by the end of the course I would not be wearing a weight belt. At first, I was skeptical at best, but he was right.

We discussed the finer points of Gas Blending. It really is quite simple, and as long as you are paying attention, it is virtually fool proof. I’m not sure I’m quite ready to start jumping into making my own Trimix just yet, but it is nice to know I have the ability. After that, we threw in the swim test for good measure.

Saturday Mar 19th –

Saturday started with us heading over to Fill Express to get our tanks filled. It is owned by Dive Rite, and quite the place. Think of a gas station, only they are selling air fills. Hyperair, EANx, Trimix, Argon, you name it, they have it. I’m still kicking myself for not bringing the camera with me, but they might have some pics on their site fillexpress.com. After that, we were on the road to Miami to head to The Scuba Shop. Catchy name notwithstanding, TSS is a great LDS. They have quite a selection of gear on hand, are friendly and know their stuff. I picked up:

• Scubapro MK25 DIN 1st stage (I need a second one for my doubles anyway)
• Scubapro 300 Bar DIN adapter
• Drysuit pockets
• 150ft Spool
• SS Boltsnaps
• Halcyon 80lb closed SMB
• Wetnotes

We arrived back at Cody’s place to find that the UPS shipment from Barry Miller had made it there. I was really stoked to know I was going to help Cody beta-test these lights, and couldn’t wait to get them in the water. I had to put my excitement over the HIDs on the back burner for the moment as we started to get into equipment configuration. We started with my backplate and harness. As with most other people, there would be quite a bit of adjusting over the next few days. My shoulder straps were too tight, my crotch strap was too loose (although not always 100% apparent until I was in the water), and my belt needed to be cut as it was too long. I don’t know why I never got around to trimming it, but it is nice and trimmed now. He knew that I was planning on going doubles in the very near future, so he suggested I take the class in a spare set of AL80s he had ready to go. I agreed, and have never been happier.

Let me say this, Barry Miller is the man. His lights are literally identical to the Halcyon ones, yet they are more affordable, Barry actually warranties the HID bulbs, and his top of the line 21watt light is more powerful and $300 cheaper than “Big H’s” competing product. When I tell you these lights are identical, I mean, they are virtual carbon copies of each other. For those who don’t know, Barry Miller used to work for Halcyon and basically created their lights. He decided to strike out on his own, some unpleasantness ensued, but now everything seems to be okay. Needless to say, I will be in possession of a Salvo 21watt HID within a few weeks.

We then started setting up my new MK25 DIN 1st stage, as well as inserting the DIN adapter into the MK25 Yoke 1st stage I already had. My SPG hose is a hair too long as I found out, so I just zip-tied it for the remainder of the course. I was going to get a proper length one before I left, but I forgot. I’ll be heading to the LDS by this Saturday to pick up a proper length hose. Cody showed me how to take cave line and properly attach a bolt snap to my long hose. I then took a bolt snap and attached it to the Goodman handle on the Salvo light. We then took some zip-ties and did the time honored “1st stage(s) to backplate/harness trick” and headed outside to do some land drills.

We practiced handling and stowing the long hose as well as the Goodman handle. It took a few times, but it became almost instant after a little practice. We then practiced S-drills and air-sharing. It was a bit of a cluster, but I got the hang of it and after our 3rd or 4th try, Cody said I’d done well and that we should head back inside. Once inside, Cody grabbed one of his 40lb Explorer wings and I put together a set of the AL80s using my BP/Harness.

He set it on a chair and I slid into it. I tried my first ever run at a valve drill on doubles, and it went well. He said we were done for the day, and I asked if I could get up and walk around with the doubles on just to see what it felt like. It was great. They didn’t feel really any heavier than my ST95 setup, and even out of the water I could feel the stability that doubles provide.

Sunday Mar 20th –

I woke up very stoked Sunday morning, as it was going to be our first time in the water. Cody suggested we use the pool. I agreed. This particular pool had a maximum depth of 6 feet, thus making it more difficult. We went over pre-dive planning, which consists of the tried-and-true SADDDDD. Again, for those who aren’t familiar:

• S-Sequence
• A-Air
• D-Deco
• D-Distance
• D-Depth
• D-Direction
• D-Dive

Seeing that it was a pool dive we really couldn’t conclude the SADDDDD completely, but I definitely wanted to engrain the practice, so it was good to practice it anyway. Once that was out of the way, we did our pre-dive drills (modified valve, modified S-drills, and equipment checks). It was time to venture out into the pool and find out what I was made of. I had been telling Cody from the moment we met how bad my buoyancy and trim was so that I didn’t completely surprise him the first time we got in the water. Almost immediately I could feel the difference diving the double AL80s as opposed to my single ST95 tank. I felt so much more stable and secure.

I’m always the first to admit that I am my own toughest critic, and I was very frustrated with myself. It seemed like no matter what I did I didn’t feel like I had good buoyancy, trim or balance. Cody would later tell me that I am being too hard on myself and that my buoyancy and trim was actually pretty good. Next we worked on the frog kick. I was “doing it”, but wasn’t getting the technique or propulsion quite right. From what Cody told me, I had my left foot “cocked slightly” and it was really affecting my skill. I should have been able to make it from one end of the pool to the other in about 3 kicks, it was taking me more like 10-15 kicks. I kept working at it, and had a few “kicks of brilliance”, but for the most part, things just didn’t feel right. Cody felt that I was “forcing” the kicks and that I needed to let them just flow. I practiced for a bit longer, but by then, we’d been in the water for over 2 hours. I was tired and Cody was cold. We decided to call it quits.

Monday Mar 21st –

Monday wasn’t much different than Sunday, except we started working on other forms of propulsion. The modified frog/flutter, helicopter turn and the dreaded backwards kick were added to my repertoire of skills to humiliate myself with. Cody wouldn’t admit it, but I felt like I was “humpin’ the pooch” each time I attempted a backwards kick. The helicopter turns weren’t actually bad; I just need to refine the movements slightly. The frog kick was looking better, but still felt forced. It got to the point at the middle of our session that I was actually in quite a bit of pain in my left foot and right shin. Cody told me to take a break and I sat down to rest my foot. After about 10 minutes I told him I was ready to proceed (I lied, I was a hurtin’ pup).

He said that we’d try S-drills. I’m not trying to be vile, but cluster **** is the ONLY way to describe it. I could not maintain buoyancy control to save my life. I had no issues getting my long hose donated and switching my backup, but once that happened, I was worse than a helium balloon being held onto by a toddler. Up, down, all around with no direction. We tried the drill a few times, and while it started getting better, it was still a big CF IMHO. We stopped to take a break again, and my left foot was starting to hurt again. Cody took a closer look at my fins and realized that not only were my boots not all the way in the fin pockets of my Jets, but that my spring straps were too big as well and weren’t helping to keep my feet in the pockets. In other words, I had worse side-to-side slop than starving pigs at a trough.

Tuesday Mar 22nd –

Boy, what a difference a day and the right gear can make. We switched out my spring straps for the correct sized ones, and I actually started getting things. I had instances of brilliance where I became one with the water. I frog kicked and flowed like I had been doing it all my life. I hovered just inches from the bottom doing nothing but using breath control. I was finally feeling like I belonged there, rather someone with a visitor’s visa. I swam around the pool, pumping my fists in triumph and cheering into my regulator. The helicopter turns started looking better, but I still was humpin’ on those damn backwards kicks.

We did a few S-drills and while the buoyancy control for me wasn’t as spot-on as it should have been, it was much better and I didn’t feel as though the two of us “died” on the drill. I did a valve drill, and it worked pretty well. My breathing rate was slightly elevated (it was my 1st time ever in the water doing it), so my buoyancy control needed work. Cody said he was getting cold (we had been in the water for nearly 2 hours), and I said okay but I wanted to do a few laps of frog kicks. He agreed and watched me as it was mostly coming together. I could still occasionally feel my left foot being a little “off” in my form. I stopped after 3-4 laps, went to stand up, and nearly fell over when I put weight on my left foot. The pain was nearly unbearable. I limped back and took off my gear, wondering what I could have possibly done to my foot.

Wednesday Mar 23rd –

I woke up in a world of pain. My foot was throbbing worse than I had the night before. I was worried because it had no outward signs of injury. There was no swelling, bruising, discoloration or anything else that would be a telltale signal as to what was the problem. Cody and I decided it was best for us to take the day off from water work and concentrated more on academics and such. We talked more about gas blending, finished up the GUE power point presentation, worked on rock bottom calculations, and even discussed deco on the fly briefly.

Later that night we worked on more land drills, I got in front of the mirror after dinner and practiced kicks. I could definitely see how “tilted” my left foot was. I just need to work on feeling it out and making sure it is in the proper position when doing kicks. We were planning on getting up Thursday morning and going down to the Keys to do a few boat dives, putting everything together in the open water. I was really looking forward to finally being able to shoot a SMB.

Thursday Mar 24th –

There were no words to express my disappointment when I woke up on Thursday morning and my foot still hurt badly. I was fully expecting to dive regardless of how much pain I was in, but a call to my wife who works for my doctor’s office confirmed my thoughts and fears: I was not to dive, and I had an appointment to see him within 2 hours of me stepping off the plane. Cody definitely agreed with the doc, but I could see that he was disappointed for me because he knew how badly I wanted to dive and finish out the class I had worked so hard on the entire week.

We decided that seeing as it was my last full day in FL, we were going to drive down to the beach for lunch and to enjoy what little time I had left, rather than sit around and mope all day about not being able to dive. We went down to LuLu’s Bait Shack and had a great lunch. I hadn’t had a pulled pork BBQ sandwich in 2 years, and it was incredible. It was pretty cool seeing all the college students running around on their spring break, and I can’t count how many times I told Cody “Man I wish I was 10 years younger!”

We went back to his place and right before dinner I finished packing my things. Rather than dwell on the fact that I wasn’t able to complete the course to my satisfaction, I focused on the positives and realized just how much I had learned and how much better of a diver I’ve become. Cody told me that he was quite impressed with my overall performance, and especially in my improvement since I got there. While I wasn't passing (which wasn't my focus for the class in the first place), I did get a provisional. Cody pointed out that he has flat-out failed full cave instructors in the past and I should be proud of my accomplishment. I was, and still am.

Parting thoughts -

Oh boy....where to begin. What a way to spend a week! Even with my foot being on the fritz the last 2 days in FL (BTW, the foot is fine, I just strained something really badly), I can't get over how much I learned and how much fun I had. Cody is a great instructor, and you can see his passion for the sport any time he talks about it or the look in his eyes as he watches you celebrate as you finally get something you've been working on for so long.

GUE is a great organization, but it has some work to do. 2 specific cases in point:

• The first time I ordered JJ’s book, it took 2 months for it to get to me. I eneded up buying a copy from an LDS and had 2 of them when the one I originally ordered arrived.

• I ordered the DIR-F student packet 3 weeks prior to attending my class. I didn’t receive the package until THE DAY before I left for the class. Now, I don’t know if that is purposely done so students don’t have the info too early, but that was cutting it too close for me. That and the fact that my CC wasn’t even charged for the packet until the day I got it, and I received no e-mail verification until that day as well so there was no way for me to know if the order was processed or lost somewhere in cyberspace. The student workbook quality is second-rate. We're being charged $20 for said workbook, I feel they could at least provide us with books printed in color and that have digital pictures that aren't pixelated. Kinko's is a wonderful place GUE.

I've got other things running around in my head, but it's getting late, I'm tired, and I have to go back to work in the morning. I welcome people's opinions, keeping in mind the scope of this report. If you are anti-DIR, take it to another thread, I don't want to hear it.
tongue.gif

Great report Derek!! :D
Thanks!!

Sorry to hear about your foot holding you back. :(

Tavi:
Great report Derek!! :D
Thanks!!

Sorry to hear about your foot holding you back. :(

Thanks Rick!

No worries, foot is all better, looking forward to getting back in the water this coming weekend!

Derek sounds like you had yourself some fun ! (Besides your foot)
You should post this to the L.E. website. Glad your back and hope all is well.

Hey Rick , I'll bring my new HLD light on Sunday so you can play with it. Man, It is one bright little puppy, I think I made my dog blind on accident :D

Eric

Lil' Irish Temper:
Derek sounds like you had yourself some fun ! (Besides your foot)
You should post this to the L.E. website. Glad your back and hope all is well.

Hey Rick , I'll bring my new HLD light on Sunday so you can play with it. Man, It is one bright little puppy, I think I made my dog blind on accident :D

Eric

Thanks Eric.

I'll be posting it soon the the LED site. Man do I have a lot of work to do there! :D

Where are you gents diving Sunday? Deep Run?

Great report Derek!!!

I'm not anti-DIR but I don't care for the attitude that most of them have! But I do believe you must do what works for you!! I've seen many a DIR folk act like a rototiller while I hover next to them motionless. Good job on the class. I'm sure it was hard.

hnladue:
Great report Derek!!!

I'm not anti-DIR but I don't care for the attitude that most of them have! But I do believe you must do what works for you!! I've seen many a DIR folk act like a rototiller while I hover next to them motionless. Good job on the class. I'm sure it was hard.

Thanks Heather.

I agree completely. I'm "becoming" DIR philosophy compliant, but that in no way, shape, or form will make me one of the "DIR Nazzis". As a matter of fact, I'm switching from PADI to NAUI, and plan to take a bunch of classes from DD in the near future.

I've just heard so many good things regarding the DIR-F class that I had to see for myself. IMHO, any class that is going to teach me something is a class I should at least consider taking.

My biggest fear about taking the DIR-F class was going to be backlash. I'm still the same guy I was a week ago, and I can't wait to go diving with you all.

To the crate! :D

Don't worry Derek.... I've actually thought of taking it myself. Just you won't see me frog kicking!! I do like some of their ideas however!!!

hnladue:
Don't worry Derek.... I've actually thought of taking it myself. Just you won't see me frog kicking!! I do like some of their ideas however!!!

It really is a great class. I plan on talking to anyone who is interested in learning more about it on Sunday. I figure it's better to have it known that the information is there and have people come looking for it than to bring it out and turn people off from the start.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom