My daughter's equip. should I service it??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pegger

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
About two years ago I bought my daughter's some good equipment after a close call with one of them and some rented equipment that had not been serviced properly.
My wishes of them becoming frequent dive buddies have not come to light as of yet and two years (approx) later, they have only used their equipment about five times.
Should I spend the money to get both sets service with so little usage.
Please advise. Thanks in advance.

Steve

Most good regs will go quite some time and/or over 100 dives before they have to be serviced to restore normal performance. You might want to have them inspected and adjusted if necessary. That should be adequate and cost much less than an "annual" service.

About two years ago I bought my daughter's some good equipment after a close call with one of them and some rented equipment that had not been serviced properly.
My wishes of them becoming frequent dive buddies have not come to light as of yet and two years (approx) later, they have only used their equipment about five times.
Should I spend the money to get both sets service with so little usage.
Please advise. Thanks in advance.

Steve

I think use of a common langage such as English would be best for you in this request.

We can also try German, Dutch or Russian but you will have to help me out with the dialect you prefer.

it may be perfectly safe to use... but are you prepared to risk your daughters life on that?

i know i sound over the top dramatic but thats how i feel about dive gear for my only niece (shes a summer diver). i feel that it may be safe enough for me to dive with no worries but im not prepared to take the risk for her (especially as shes not my child but someone elses) so i still get her gear serviced even though its not used often

edit: oh, and what about if you use her gear every now and then??

goodluck!

Pegger,

The wildcard is contamonation. One good shot of salt water could have caused significant corrosion that would pose a risk. I'd suggest that after 2 years of infrequent use an inspection is in order.

On a related note... Since thay have not embraced diving I hope they are being restricted to shallow conservative dives until they show more dedication. If they are older teens you may gauge the situation by telling them that they cannot use the gear until they pay to get it serviced.

oh good, it wasnt just me...... maybe poster had threads mixed up
The phrasing of the OP may not have been entirely common but it worked for me.

it may be perfectly safe to use... but are you prepared to risk your daughters life on that?

i know i sound over the top dramatic but thats how i feel about dive gear for my only niece (shes a summer diver). i feel that it may be safe enough for me to dive with no worries but im not prepared to take the risk for her (especially as shes not my child but someone elses) so i still get her gear serviced even though its not used often

edit: oh, and what about if you use her gear every now and then??

goodluck!

Are you sure an annual service is making your niece's gear safer?

Are you sure annual service is enough? Perhaps it needs it more often to maximize safety.

Are you sure an annual service is making your niece's gear safer? Are you sure annual service is enough? Perhaps it needs it more often to maximize safety.

are you taking the mickey out of me??? :blinking: her gear is serviced before the summer season and all ready for her diving and then when its colder it goes back into storage until next season... no point buying her a drysuit now as shes growing out of a wetsuit every year

i know my 1st post was dramtic but i wont assume the gear is safe enough for someone i love to use... people i dislike on the other hand are welcome to trydive anytime they like :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom