My custom drysuit is here!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jstuart1

Contributor
Reaction score
Well after the long wait I picked up my drysuit today. It looks great and I can't wait to take the class in January. I do have a question though, is there some reason why you can't add a "string" to the zipper like on a wetsuit so you can zip and unzip it yourself? I know you have to make sure the zipper is 100% closed but I'm just curious why some folks would use a nail in a tree/ post rather than a zipper extender.

jstuart1:
Well after the long wait I picked up my drysuit today. It looks great and I can't wait to take the class in January. I do have a question though, is there some reason why you can't add a "string" to the zipper like on a wetsuit so you can zip and unzip it yourself? I know you have to make sure the zipper is 100% closed but I'm just curious why some folks would use a nail in a tree/ post rather than a zipper extender.

There are no lanyard police Im aware of.

mnj1233:
There are no lanyard police Im aware of.

Thanks. I wasn't sure if it was called a lanyard or not. I didn't know if using a lanyard would contribute to zipper damage or if there was some other reason people didn't use them on a drysuit.

My tiny experience with trying to do up zippers in a drysuit tells me that a lanyard is not going to work as well as you hope. The zipper tends to want to grab whatever cloth is under the zipper. If you can see it you can push it away. If you are tugging on a lanyard you can't tell if you are grabbing the underlying cloth. Does not apply to unzipping of course, which is where I really really want personal control of the timing.:D

My tiny experience with trying to do up zippers in a drysuit tells me that a lanyard is not going to work as well as you hope. The zipper tends to want to grab whatever cloth is under the zipper. If you can see it you can push it away. If you are tugging on a lanyard you can't tell if you are grabbing the underlying cloth. Does not apply to unzipping of course, which is where I really really want personal control of the timing.:D

An in the market for a drysuit which one did you get and if you don't mind me asking why?

Mine is a Viking. Why? Because I needed a custom suit in a rather size abundant model and of the ones the LDS carried Viking was the one who would make it in my size.

I have recently starting diving a DUI CLX450, and the zipper has a smaller leather lanyard with a t-handle attached to the self donning zipper.. I have absolutley no problems with any type of snags on my undergarments.. Just be careful how much you attach to you zipper as a pull lanyard, you do not want to create an entaglement hazzard, The DUI suits have another zipper to enclose the main zipper and lanyard from the elements. there is no lanyard attached to that zipper..

With my semi dry I tried this and it works but it does take some practice. I simply used a regular lanyard that you would use for a ID or such. The zipper goes far enough down my arm that I can reach over and take it off before diving.

jstuart1:

You will find posts from divers that a lanyard works for. From my limited drysuit experience it's iffy at best.
*The zipper needs a firmer tug
*I've been coached to pull if flat and low to keep all of the force along the length of the zipper, you may be OK with the layard for this.
*Making sure you don't nip your undergarment may be the biggest trick.
*You may be fooled into thinking it's fully closed when it's not.

Pete

jstuart1:

1) if it's across the shoulder you can't see the underwear and might catch it in the zipper. That's a sure way to compromise the water tightness and when you need to UNZIP the suit it's likely you will "break the zipper" if you have to force it. With dry-suit zippers the first rule of engineering should not be applied.

2) dry suit zippers need to be pulled "straight" rather than just closed or open.

Believe me, from personal experience, if the zipper is damaged from carelessness or assistance from someone who does not adequately understand what it is they are closing, you'll be sooooooorrrrryyyyy ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom