My computer can't read a card with pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I've tried other computers but they all say I need to format the card - which I have done several times previously?!

The camera shows the pics stored in review ok, but I can't move them to a computer?

I really want those pics, but I'm stumped...?? :shakehead:

One last thing - I remember having this issue but it was the Software Operating System on the computer that could not recognize my memory card. Call the camera help desk or customer support and see if they have a solution. Or use google to see if your operating system on your computer(s) are compatible with that memory card.

That did work. It's been so long since I connected a cable to a camera that I didn't know this one had such a port, but it does, I found a cable, and it worked. Thanks...!!

I have used this camera, card, and computer several times before. Now that I have the pics off, I'll format the card and see if the problem continues. I do have other cards.

---------- Post added November 8th, 2014 at 12:43 PM ----------

The computer failed to format the card. The camera formatted it ok, but the problem continued. Bad card replaced...

Reactions: Jax
DO NOT format the card in the computer, format it in the camera and you should have no issues.
Bill

I think what he is saying is that yes, he did attempt to format on the computer and it failed. So he formatted on the camera and it was fine, but still not recognized on the computer.

Sounds like buying a new card is the right next step.

Glad the cable to the camera allowed Don to transfer the pictures. Good call.

DO NOT format the card in the computer, format it in the camera and you should have no issues.
Bill
I did, and it wasn't.

Depends on the OS you are using. I still use Windows XP on my primary computer (7 and 8 on others) and I needed to extend the OS to read XHDC cards (I think I got that right)

Some picture formats aren't supported on the Windows media reader, etc. If they're not JPEGS or other readable formats, the computer won't recognize them. There are several programs you can use to open pictures in other formats, but you have to download them first. Did your camera come with a software CD? That's usually the easiest way to make sure that the format is recognized.

Hard to imagine that a card that was formattable by the camera and had photos on it was unreadable by the computer. Which OS and what kind of camera.
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom