My Camelbak D.I.Y...Combating dry mouth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was actually thinking of doing the exact same thing. I have been looking at that exact camelback since feb and wondering how it would work. Let me know i may just have to buy one afterall.

I have been a mountain biker for years and will never ride without it. This means you have to hold your breath to use the camleback underwater. I really wouldn't advise people to do this unless they are experienced divers. Just a thought, Tom

I would like to try it on shallow no deco type dives! Those are the longer ones I get thirsty on anyway. people should probably suck gently though... maybe not suck on the shallow stops..etc.

Now you have me thinking about hot chocolate on night dives! NO hot toddies, now.

I've been using one for awhile now. I always have had dry mouth but a few months ago I had a medical proceedure that distroyed my salava glands, end result, I can't make spit. I love diving too much so I had to find a solution. SB came through with a thread on camelbaks.

I like the way you have it strapped to your tank. I just put mine on my back and put my BC over it. No problems. I also fill mine up with ice and water. It's great to have a cool sip underwater. I don't hold my breath using it - remember, have the bubbles flow when your regulator is out of your mouth. At first I was concerned about the size 70oz, I was thinking more like 8oz, just to get a sip every now and again. But, this system works great.

Louma:
. I just put mine on my back and put my BC over it. No problems. I also fill mine up with ice and water

I have also done this for some time now and have done the same thing as Louma. What you have done seems very cool never thought of actually doing that.

I've been thinking about this too....for some reason, I thought somebody made one specifically for divers...apparently not! But i have a question.....even w/ that inline valve, you'll still get a little of the lake/salt/quarry water in your mouth, and there's the sucking issue that has come up a couple times on this thread....so, what about just toting a sport bottle? You could attach it to a retractable clip, and when you squeeze it there is positive pressure, so you would not get any "ambient" water in your mouth...plus, there's no sucking at all....

What do ya'll think? Any negatives to using a small sport bottle? Is the camelback still a better idea?

It worked real well in Catalina over the weekend...Had no problems with it at all...was nice to also swish water in my mouth after a gulp of salt water on the surface through my snorkel...

IMG_0378

Seems he was also interested in what was going on...

IMG_0352

zach5150:
.so, what about just toting a sport bottle? You could attach it to a retractable clip, and when you squeeze it there is positive pressure, so you would not get any "ambient" water in your mouth...plus, there's no sucking at all....

What do ya'll think? Any negatives to using a small sport bottle? Is the camelback still a better idea?

What does a sport bottle do when you stop sucking on it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom