My BCD Study

What brand is your BCD (Top 10 based on thread reviews)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank:
You have 468 views, and about 70 replies....

Either most don't own BCD's, or most don't reply to polls :11:

If you offered prizes, more people would take the poll... :wink:

Sad thing is, even with this "yet another what BC do you use" thread, there will still be another one in a few days... :hai:

Since I am here:

Brand: Zeagle

Model: Stiletto

Tech or Rec: Rec

Warm or cold: Warm (hopefully above 60f)

Residence: Florida

How many BC's: As many as I want. :eyebrow:

Was there something you wish was different on you current BCD:
Nope. I customize mine as needed...

What is 1 good thing in particular about your BCD, or what made you buy it?:
For spearfishing (which accounts for most of my diving these days) it is an excellent choice!

Here is mine as well to get the replies up:

• BCD Brand: Genesis (rec/singles) OMS harness
  • BCD Model Recon (rec/singles) SB94
  • Tech or Rec: a bit of both
  • Warm or Cold Water: a bit of both
  • What state/country do you live in: Ontario, Canada
  • How many BCD's have you owned in your diving career: 3
  • Was there something you wish was different on you current BCD? - Recon - none, OMS - redundant bladder
  • What is 1 good thing in particular about your BCD, or what made you buy it? I am close to 300lbs, they both have ample support for required weight (with gear)

When you dive: As often as possible. Twice weekly when conditions cooperate, plus multiple dives on several yearly vacations.

BCD Brand: Stainless steel backplate with hogarthian harness and either a Halcyon wing for single tanks, or Oxycheq wing for doubles.

BCD Model: Halcyon Pioneer #36, Oxycheq Double #40

Tech or Rec: Rec, although I recently got advanced nitrox and recreational trimix training. I've done less than 10 dives requiring deco.

Warm or Cold Water: Cold at home, warm on vacation. I use the same backplate and wing either way.

What state/country do you live in: Massachusetts, USA.

How many BCD's have you owned in your diving career: 5

Was there something you wish was different on you current BCD? No... well, it would be nice if it could carry my gear for me, but realisticly, no. It's everything I can forsee ever wanting.

What is 1 good thing in particular about your BCD, or what made you buy it? Just one thing? Okay, it's rugged and simple, and will probably be diving as long as I am. It's not the first I've owned, but it might be the last.

BCD Brand:?
Zeagle

BCD Model?
Ranger

DiveRite/Oxycheq

BCD Model?
alu & ss backplates/45lbs. wing

Tech or Rec:?
Recreational Single Tank BC

Warm or Cold Water:?
Nippy to cold

What state/country do you live in:?
California/USA

How many BCD's have you owned in your diving career:?
Those are the only two and I still have and use them.

Was there something you wish was different on you current BCD?
Yes, I desperately want to get my own SMI BC.

What is 1 good thing in particular about your BCD, or what made you buy it?
They worked for me! Simple as that.
#1: The Zeagle Ranger was my first BC, after years of renting everything from horse collar BCs and jackets to ADVs and backbouyancy BCs. Had to be backbouyancy, rugged, well balanced, couple of decent D-rings, around 40lbs. lift and no velcro weight pockets. The Zeagle aced all that.
#2: Wanted to streamline and really wanted the added stability that comes with any backplate. Bought a used DiveRite Alu plate for 20 bucks. It works. Picked the Oxycheq 45lbs. wing because I like the added lift at the surface vs. smaller wings, without any additional drag. Added ss backplate later to counter buoyancy when diving dry.

#3: The next BC I'll buy wil be from SMI, the one good thing about it is that it comes with a rebreather attached. :D

ScottZeagle:
For spearfishing (which accounts for most of my diving these days) it is an excellent choice!

Spearfishing on scuba???? That is just so wrong, perhaps i have been living in the Pacific too long? They'd laugh at you out here.

Spearfishing should be done freediving my friend...its only fair

BCD Brand: Oxycheq
BCD Model: SS backplate, 45# signature wing with light weight STA 2 XS scuba weight pouches, one piece harness.
Tech or Rec: Rec and some Wreck penetration.
Warm or Cold Water: Very warm (tropical) to Very cold (ice)
What state/country do you live in: Vancouver Canada and South Korea.
How many BCD's have you owned in your diving career: 3
Was there something you wish was different on you current BCD? - No. It is perfect and completely flexible.

What is 1 good thing in particular about your BCD, or what made you buy it? I've used jacket, vest and back inflate soft packs. None of these met my requirements. Either they were too restricting, didn't have enough attachment options, were unstable,, didn't trim well, or were jsut too cluttered to be comfortable. The Oxycheq BP/W met my demands. The flexability,ease of adaptability,clean lines and easy repair convinced me. I must also say the great service by both Oxycheq and Scubaroo were also important factors.

Mike Veitch:
Spearfishing on scuba???? That is just so wrong, perhaps i have been living in the Pacific too long? They'd laugh at you out here.

Spearfishing should be done freediving my friend...its only fair

Thanks for your opinion.

I will not derail this thread with a reply...

:10:

Seaquest

BCD Model?
Fusion

Tech or Rec:?
Rec

Warm or Cold Water:?
both

What state/country do you live in:?
MA, USA

How many BCD's have you owned in your diving career:?
2: other was a Seaquest pro QD

Was there something you wish was different on you current BCD?
i have to get used to not having a real pocket.

BCD Brand: TUSA
BCD Model Imprex Pro
Tech or Rec: Rec
Warm or Cold Water:? Both
What state/country do you live in: Texas/Texas
How many BCD's have you owned in your diving career: 3
Was there something you wish was different on you current BCD No
What is 1 good thing in particular about your BCD, or what made you buy it? Back Bouyancy/half the cost of similar BCD's

When you dive:
BCD Brand:?Sherwood
BCD Model? Shadow?
Tech or Rec:?Rec
Warm or Cold Water:?Warm
What state/country do you live in:?LA, USA
How many BCD's have you owned in your diving career:?3
Was there something you wish was different on you current BCD?Quick release on shoulder straps, Working Inflator/Dump hose (Split on last trip)
What is 1 good thing in particular about your BCD, or what made you buy it? Low price, name brand, soft pac, Distributed Buoyancy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom