My AN/DP/Helitrox course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Instructor knows I still have allergy issues. Pollen, etc., have been really bad here this year and it’s been a subject of discussion when I’ve been in the shop.
Then just ask if he honestly thinks it deserves to be a checked issue on the form. Allergies are pretty dang common. I can’t imagine they intend for everyone that suffers allergies to list it as a problem on the form and get medical clearance. If your instructor believes it rises to the level needed for a yes and clearance, so be it. Then you wait for the appointment.

Examples like this are exactly why I dislike that form. Too broad. I know why its that way. They need a large net to try and capture true issues. But the problem is a lot of unnecessary and unintended issues are caught as well.
And as for not extending the requirments for renewal, even federal government agencies have recognized the special circumstances that have arose from this pandemic and waived some required medical exams short term.

Edit. I just looked up the form. It asks “have you ever had.” Ridiculous! It’s no wonder there have been heated debates on SB about completing this form.

I'm going to take the middle road on this one. Any acute issues that I have been cleared for in the past, I will mark as "NO" on the form (think Pelvis and Shoulder reconstruction surgery, maybe a little DCS). Any ongoing issues and I will likely go to my doctor to make sure things haven't changed. I think sever allergies could be in the latter category. For my thyroid condition I make sure to ask about it specifically during my annual checkup. This gives me confidence to mark "NO" on the form and feel like I am not being dangerous. The form is a legal liability waiver. I'm happy knowing I have done what is right for the the instructor, dive buddies, and my safety.

My signed medical form expires July 2nd. I only have to get my doctor to sign due to allergies (hay fever, mold, pollen) and taking meds daily for them. My doctor had not been making any annual wellness appts for many weeks due to the stupid plague. My instructor checked with TDI to see if there were any exceptions to the medical form if your doctor wouldn't see you. Nope, no way around it. Good thing my doctor just started taking patients for annual wellness appts this week. My appt is in three weeks (earliest appt I could get), so any class dives would have to wait until after my appt.

I do my annual physical around my birthday every year. I also have horrific allergies during oak season and get a signed medical at the same time.

I'm finding newish recreational divers are decent buddies for my quarry practice dives. They don't mind spending time on platforms (fellow yesterday had just taken his PPB class and wanted more practice) and they're trying out new cameras or like taking video (I will give them my faux GoPro) so I can get video.

I'm finding newish recreational divers are decent buddies for my quarry practice dives. .........

I believe you learn more about the gaps in your knowledge and dive planning and problem solving when you're the diver everyone looks to. When people defer to you, or ask for advice it makes you properly consider things. A bit of perceived pressure sharpens you up, your buoyancy was probably demonstration quality with a recent PPB diver watching. The idea of always diving with equally or more highly experienced divers has its own set of flaws.

I believe you learn more about the gaps in your knowledge and dive planning and problem solving when you're the diver everyone looks to. When people defer to you, or ask for advice it makes you properly consider things. A bit of perceived pressure sharpens you up, your buoyancy was probably demonstration quality with a recent PPB diver watching. The idea of always diving with equally or more highly experienced divers has its own set of flaws.

Haha! He probably got full entertainment value for his quarry entry fee observing my "wrestling with the devil" valve drill. :D

valve drills are ALWAYS messing practicing .............and for real are very aggressive , for oblivious reasons

Marie
Was looking back on some pictures and noticed it looks like you have a diverite harness with hard plastic shoulder straps. My gf had same Harness we switched out the shoulder pads with halcyon soft pads. She was having trouble even touching her dump valve for dry suite now is doing valve drill with this change.

Pic

Attachments

• 82ADB699-2963-481F-AC7D-317AD363EFE8.jpeg
    82ADB699-2963-481F-AC7D-317AD363EFE8.jpeg
    37.2 KB · Views: 137
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom