My AN/DP/Helitrox course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Water temps at the local quarry will be somewhere in the 40s on the deep side through probably June. Wazee (deco dives) in stays cold.

South Florida so our bottom temps will be the high 70s to low 80s that time of year.

Have the elastic hand mount for it.
How does it work out when you have to switch the light to the other hand?

Fairly easy when I tried it on land. Didn’t try it underwater.
Obv one of the things to be aware of with a canister-less light. I keep a few Sola2000 FS on hand for OW/limited penetration dives. I tie a small bungee loop (think hairtie) around my wrist and clip the light off to either that or a computer bungee prior to switching light from one hand to another. It's not a big deal to switch hands with a can light (if you drop it, it stays). Dropping a CX1/LX20/HP50/FS2500/TL4800P/Focus2.0Handheld/LM Handy on a late stop in open water doesn't feel very good.

I use Fourth Element fleece liners. Man, does that sound fiddly. Worse than using the equalization “noodles” that Waterproof includes with the Ultima system. I’ll just try a piece of bungee cord.

As a cold water diver, I need to keep those seals.

As someone who also dives in cold water a lot (4-5 degrees is the norm here for quite a big part of the year) you really need to loose those seals.
There is no version of reality where having wrist seals will keep your hands (and the rest of you) warmer unless you pop a glove, which is near impossible with Ultimas at least, and believe me I have stretched the limits of my rings every way possible and never had as much as a drop of a leak on them.
Trimming back my wrist seals is the best thing I ever did, my hands are so much warmer on dives now that the gas in my suit can flow freely to my hands.
I use Showa 720 drygloves and a very thin merino wool layer glove and my hands are the least of my problems in the water.

I tried the "noodles" that were included with my Ultimas, they didn't work well at all so I trimmed my seals back and there is no way in hell I am ever going back to full seals.

As someone who also dives in cold water a lot (4-5 degrees is the norm here for quite a big part of the year) you really need to loose those seals.
There is no version of reality where having wrist seals will keep your hands (and the rest of you) warmer unless you pop a glove, which is near impossible with Ultimas at least, and believe me I have stretched the limits of my rings every way possible and never had as much as a drop of a leak on them.
Trimming back my wrist seals is the best thing I ever did, my hands are so much warmer on dives now that the gas in my suit can flow freely to my hands.
I use Showa 720 drygloves and a very thin merino wool layer glove and my hands are the least of my problems in the water.

I tried the "noodles" that were included with my Ultimas, they didn't work well at all so I trimmed my seals back and there is no way in hell I am ever going back to full seals.

I'm tempted, but it's the what if scenario of puncturing a glove that holds me back, but hear it's pretty common in Scandinavian diving circles and common sense suggests that tight wrist seals will preclude blood flow.

We have Zebra and Quagga mussels here. They are sharp and attach themselves to wrecks, uplines, and most things in our frigid waters. A lot of our local divers, myself included, also travel with their suits to places where gloves aren't needed. I keep wrist seals as a safety backup under my pullover gloves in cold water and need no changes to dive warm water. What works in one area isn't always best in all areas.
:wink:

Ive ripped 1/2 dozen or more gloves over the dives...... sure with rec dives its not end of world but if shes starting deco courses a full flood which a torn glove and no wrist seals will do will be hell, hanging on a line for 10-20-30 min an hour in cold water not a chance. worst case pull off glove pull out shirt equalizer ect and pop glove back on hand freezes but you dont freeze to death or die.

We have Zebra and Quagga mussels here. They are sharp and attach themselves to wrecks, uplines, and most things in our frigid waters. A lot of our local divers, myself included, also travel with their suits to places where gloves aren't needed. I keep wrist seals as a safety backup under my pullover gloves in cold water and need no changes to dive warm water. What works in one area isn't always best in all areas.
:wink:

Bingo! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom