My AN/DP/Helitrox course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use Fourth Element fleece liners. Man, does that sound fiddly. Worse than using the equalization “noodles” that Waterproof includes with the Ultima system. I’ll just try a piece of bungee cord.

As a cold water diver, I need to keep those seals.
The cut bungie cord with a knot in one end works well. Knot goes on the glove side and the bungie is 2-3" long .Don't flame the ends or it will irritate your wrists, just let them get fuzzy.
You can store a half dozen of these in a cupholder or ashtray of your car and always have some kicking around. Plus what else are you going to do with bungie scraps?

The cut bungie cord with a knot in one end works well. Knot goes on the glove side and the bungie is 2-3" long .Don't flame the ends or it will irritate your wrists, just let them get fuzzy.
You can store a half dozen of these in a cupholder or ashtray of your car and always have some kicking around. Plus what else are you going to do with bungie scraps?

The fuzzy-ended scraps work well for applying silicone grease to things like camera/light O-rings.

I use Fourth Element fleece liners. Man, does that sound fiddly. Worse than using the equalization “noodles” that Waterproof includes with the Ultima system. I’ll just try a piece of bungee cord.

As a cold water diver, I need to keep those seals.

This is the technique that I use as well. Not fiddly at all. In fact, tucking the fleece liners under the seal means that the fleece liners aren’t in my way when I’m trying to engage the rings! I used to have to cut back the wrists on my fleece liners because there would be too much material in the way of the rings. By tucking them, now I don’t.

The only reason I didn’t mention this myself before is: I’ve never had a glove flood while doing that. Everyone universally says that the flow is slow: only as much as can wick through the fabric. But I’m still a little leery about that. If I had to, I would pop the glove off, pull the liners out, then put the gloves back on. But I don’t want to have to do that, and I don’t want to recommend a solution that I haven’t seen fail.

Maybe I’ll do that sometime towards the end of a non-deco dive in not quite frigid water: crack the seal on a glove and see how fast water makes its way into the suit. I really would like to see what happens.

Yes, it’s fiddly. Tried it once. Never again. I don’t do fiddly. Drives me bat sh*t crazy.

Maybe I’ll do that sometime towards the end of a non-deco dive in not quite frigid water: crack the seal on a glove and see how fast water makes its way into the suit. I really would like to see what happens.

I've had it happen and continued the dive to see how bad it would get (I basically do it like this: http://tipps-fuer-taucher.de//wp-content/uploads/2011/10/IMG_3245-1024x768.jpg )
It took about 5 min until I was soaked to my elbow, about 20 to my shoulder, and when I finally called it after ~45min I was completely wet down to my hip.
Not comfortable, but also not unbearable. Having this happen with 60+ min of deco ahead would probably have been bad though. This was in 5°C water.

I've had it happen and continued the dive to see how bad it would get (I basically do it like this: http://tipps-fuer-taucher.de//wp-content/uploads/2011/10/IMG_3245-1024x768.jpg )
It took about 5 min until I was soaked to my elbow, about 20 to my shoulder, and when I finally called it after ~45min I was completely wet down to my hip.
Not comfortable, but also not unbearable. Having this happen with 60+ min of deco ahead would probably have been bad though. This was in 5°C water.

5C = 41F, so water temps this weekend. Nope, I’ll keep my seals.

What diameter bungee are you using for this?

That heated vest purchase is on hold for now. I don’t know how things are going to go. I just hope I’m able to do finish my class, given how things are rather uncertain.

I'm signed up for AN/Helitrox in late April and late May.

Although my water is probably going to be a touch warmer.

I'm signed up for AN/Helitrox in late April and late May.

Although my water is probably going to be a touch warmer.

Water temps at the local quarry will be somewhere in the 40s on the deep side through probably June. Wazee (deco dives) in stays cold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom