My 1st Mini-Movie - Kona Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RockyHeap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'll share my first real attempt at a mini-movie for your warm water "wish I was there in Hawaii scuba diving" enjoyment.

And just for your giggles, I diverge from all the most talked about "GoPro" filters, by using a 55mm threaded Fantasea Blue Water RED Filter, and gasp, often using both red filter AND twin 600 SOLA lights at the same time during a daytime shot..... blasphemey I know......grins....but it works for me, and after watching my mini-movie you might want to try it too. Major example are: Check out the lit up underside of the turtle and a couple other fill-in illuminated shots of under the super large Mushroom coral towards the end. Nicely lit up undersides of both, with a blue water open background.

Shot this mini-movie over a week duration scuba diving from the live-aboard dive boat the Kona Aggressor on the west coast of the Big Island of Hawaii. We had many over-cast days, and you can tell those are different from the "punch of full sunshine day colors" of non-cloudy days. Also off of Kona you're often only diving 1/4-1/2 mile off shore, so Viz tens to get a bit hazy if the surf was up and we had a 2-3 foot or more swells all week. No excuses, my video colors are awesome compared to many other videos I've seen IMHO.

Very little to zero post production color tweeking. That's just not my style. Smidge of brightness/contrast and that's it. Either get the shot right the first time, or it gets dumped onto the editing room floor as I just won't force the color histogram in post production to make sand pink. Zero Cineform correction, Auto White Balance, shoot and smile. Easy Squeezy.

I will self critique and say the Fantasea filter when shot shallow, like many other red filters at ~15-20 foot depth, adds a tinge of yellow hue to the video. But Honestly, that's the dominate color of many of the hawaiian corals so you be the judge.

Vast majority (over 90% of this mini-movie) was shot in 720/60FPS.

Twin Sola 600's ROCK both for fill in day lights, as well as Manta Ray night video. While I'd love Twin 1200's, my Twin 600's were cheaper than a single 1200 so that's the route I went as I wanted (and everyone really needs) twin video lights for no shadows. I consider the $700 in lighting/tray well spent. You just gotta have lighting. Filters only take you so far.........

Shot 19 hours of raw GoPro Hero2 video, Then 130-140 HOURS of self-critical-over-anal Sony Vegas editing later, produced this 15 minute mini-movie comprised of 5 chapters of unique dives, about 3 minutes per chapter.

I dedicated it to my Mom who has brain cancer........

Yes the holy rule of "People get bored after 2-3 minutes watching long dull boring videos" has been broke by me the Executive filmer/producer guy...........but I honestly don't feel this is long dull or boring.

Give it 15 minutes of your life, every 3 minutes it really changes tempo.

I think you'll enjoy the music, dive video, and sound effects from Diver Dave Productions. I really like Sony Vegas Software.

Feedback is always welcome, especially from fellow GoPro video divers.

Happy Bubbles, keep it fun, keep it real.

video work underwater can be quite challenging shooting with filters, lighting, and meanwhile trying to stay alive while getting dog piled into the reef bottom by a 1000 pound 12-13 foot wingspan manta ray during a night dive....ho hum, pretty boring.

No I'm not Steven Speilburg, but I think this video after 140+ hours of post production editing turned out great, and I'm proud to share it. :D:D:D

Go Full Screen, crank the volume, and enjoy the high def.

https://vimeo.com/57947271

Signed Diver Dave, master of some, learner of many.

"A good diver is always learning"

Nice video. Visibility looked great, editing was smooth, shot and music choice very good.

And people have another filter option. Fantasea !!!

The old rule of no filter with lights applied to halogen lights. I think I saw a shot of a diver with a flashlight and you could see the red hotspot. Bet it was a halogen flashlight. Although 99% of my open water shooting is filter only, I also had some success using LED lights with a filter in certain circumstances.

Speaking of rules, since most if not all of us here are amateur hobbyists, there really are no rules. Use lights or not. Filter, no filter. Make your video as long or as short as you want. I frequently make a long version, a short preview version and also post the individual chapters. The long version is kind of like the directors cut. The short preview is to entice people to watch the full length version. The individual chapters let people easily re-watch their favorite parts.

When I go on a trip, people often ask me how much I charge to give them a copy of my video. I always tell them it is free. I shoot and edit to my tastes. My taste in music, my editing style, my shooting style. While I hope people like my video if they don't, it doesn't bother me. The video was free wasn't it ?

In your case, you don't much to worry about. You like it, and I bet most people who watch it will like it. I like it, keep up the good work, look forward to seeing more of your work.

Nice video Rocky. Specially liked the mantas.

-sendt fra mobil

Ohh man I wish I was there. Must have been a treat. I very rarely come up against coral patches that look like forest of 3-5 inch long frag type thingies. Sweet video sir.

Very nicely done indeed. It has unfortunately given me the urge to go for video (instead of photography with aCanon G9) on my next trip (Komodo).

Question: did you always use the lights or sometimes filter only.....?

RA

Top effort Dave! Love the manta footage

While I have shot still photos for years, honestly I'd only owned that Hero2 for about 3 days before our trip, and had only shoot 3-5 videos around our house to get a feel for it.

So if right out of the box, I can shoot video like that, you can too. Although my 10 years of still shooting helps predict fish behavior.

Sola Lights were only turned on if I new I wanted fill in lighting underledges or under turtle. Even then I think I over-powered and blew out some scenes (the underside of the turtle is borderline pushing way to red IMHO) So next time I'll keep the SOLA 600's on low or medium, then crank to high if/when needed.

Yes many people have commented on that Manta seen, seriously those things are HUGE, go back and view towards the end a manta comes up and over a Blue Finned diver, and the mouth is wider than the fin is long. I was VERY impressed with the wide beam the twin Sola's through and can cover even shooting out 15-20 foot through the thick krill that are attracted by the lights, and then the krill attracts the plankton.

Here is my lighting/tray set-up. I really like the longer arms. The wider the lens, the more you should push your lights out, and we all know how wide the GoPro field of view can be.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gopro-video/439885-my-diy-hero-tray-travel-bag-light-arms.html

Back
Top Bottom