Mustache + Mask = Leak?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also have a moustache and have just recently purchased a new mask. I was very concerned about the seal, so I tried a few masks on at the dive shop after shaving the top millimeter of my 'stache. The one that fit the best without a doubt was the Mares Xvision. I was even able to suck it on to my face. After this pleasant discovery, I noticed that one of the guys working at the shop also had a moustache. I asked him what he would recommend and he immediately responded with the xvision, a nice confirmation since he didn't see me trying on the masks. As an aside, the mask I initially was planning to purchase (Cressi Horizon) didn't seal well around my lower cheeks and moustache.

Mike

1. Trim a small area just below the nose
2. Trim lightly so it isn't really bushy where the mask crosses the moustache.
3. Use chapstick, moustache wax, or silicone grease to form a seal. (Look closely in a mirror, with grease you just need a couple of small dabs where the mask crosses the moustache).
4. Avoid stray hairs at random angles. After putting on your mask, use a finger up under the seal to smooth out the hairs.
When you put on your mask, try to slide it down on the moustache to have all the hairs pointing down.
5. Put your mask on a couple of minutes early and let it settle into place -- after combing the strays.
6. Mask straps too tight will cause leaking, as will straps too loose.
7. Keep your moustache hair supple by using hair conditioner, particularly if you are doing multiple dives on a trip. Coarse, stiff hairs cause the mask to leak more.
8. Don't continually clear your mask. This may wash out the defog.

9. When all else fails ---- just ignore it and dive. It's only water.

HI
I use the trim under nose method also but a good mask helps
I use to different mask and really like them both (TUSA PanoGeo and Mares Xvision ) the Xvision is new:wacko: What water does leak in is just in the nose pocket and not in the eyes so i just blow out my nose and it clears :D

I also use the trimming methed of the stash. Keeping it short has helped me. I have tried three different masks and the skirt makes a big difference. I found an IST mask with a big skirt that is a bit softer than others I have tried. This has helped dramatically. It also has a purge which makes those times when it does leak constantly a non-issue.

I have never tried the wax or other applications as they sound like a pain in the a@# and just something else to mess with.

I just bought a new mask about a month ago. I really wanted a Big Eyes, but it leaked around my moustache. I have a good LDS, and they let me try masks in their pool. I finally found a ScubaPro that fit perfectly and didn't leak.

Trim my moustache....... I don't think so :)

5615mike once bubbled...
I have never tried the wax or other applications as they sound like a pain in the a@# and just something else to mess with.
I took an old chapstick tube, filled it with silicone grease, and dropped it into my BC pocket. Most of the time I don't use it, but if the moon and stars are lined up so that my mask keeps leaking I can just put a couple dabs on my moustache at depth and the minor irritant is resolved.

I prefer silicone grease over vaseline or chapstick because they are both petroleum jelly and the rumor is that petroleum jelly will eat away the mask skirt.

It also allows me to claim that any streamers hanging from my moustache post dive "must be the silicone grease". :)

Charlie99 quote:

I prefer silicone grease over vaseline or chapstick because they are both petroleum jelly and the rumor is that petroleum jelly will eat away the mask skirt.

Charlie99

Now that you mention that I believe that I have heard that little tidbit of info and that maybe why I have never tried anything.

Walter once bubbled...
Clear it and keep diving, no big deal.

Exactly!

I've had mustaches and tried all the shaving waxing things. Then I finally just quit worrying about it. It doesn't leak that much to be an issue.

I believe that Henderson makes what is called a "ice cream" or cold water hood which can be worn alone in warmer waters or underneath another hood in colder waters. The hood looks like a hang man's hood, covers your face except for openings for your eyes and another opening for your mouth. It is made of 1/8" neoprene with a small piece that goes over your lip and the mask seal sits on top of this hood. Moustache trimming is a personal choice and I say NO. The only mask that fits is the US Divers or Dacor wide three window. I keep looking for low volume mask that is yet to be found. I can seal my lips to things that I like, just a little harder to get things that I like to seal to my lips.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom