Mustache causing a slow leak in mask...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greetings Skipp and I have had the very same problem. And I felt like a dork as well when clean shaven. I usually had a full beard 8 months out of a year and a mustache, etc. the rest of the time. I tried the other stuff to get around the leaky mask but in the end it was very irritating. I chose to shave it off and give that a try.
I felt like a junior higher but my mask did not leak and my wife loved the smooth face!
Win! Win! The rest is history as is the facial hair it really is no big deal anymore.
I do miss the warmth in the winter but like the cold water diving more.
Good luck and try the others suggestions and as a last resort just ponder my suggestion. Good luck and safe diving.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

I know this feeling. I had various amounts of facial hair for most of my adult life too and it took quite a while to get used to seeing myself in the mirror without it. Last year i shaved it off because it was ... well ... getting all grey (I know I know- midlife crisis, blah blah blah.... guilty!)

Anyway I was amazed how much of a difference it made. I was accustomed to just having varying amounts of water in my mask and suddenly the seal was perfect. This week I let my beard grow back again just to see if it's still as grey as it was (it's worse) and last night I had water in my mask again and found it quite distracting....

R..

You all couldn't be more wrong! Ever held a cup upside down underwater? Hair on the head causes leaks, wrinkles, bad seal on you forehead cause leaks! But something on the bottom of the cup / mask won't cause a leak! I have been diving with some kind of facial hair for 37 years! So unless you swim upside down all the time don't blame your hair!

600_IMG_3403_Self_Portrait_T_C_A_II_07.jpg

So how does this cause a leak? The only way to leak is to have Air escape from the top of the mask!

Isn't that water I see in your mask? Maybe you've just become accustomed to it. When I had water in my mask on every dive I got the point that I didn't notice it either....

R..

Back
Top Bottom