"Must Read" books for the beach bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just read The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and am tickled at how much I liked it.
I'm not a big Sci Fi fan but, this one had some pure comedy genius in it.

If you liked that then check out the rest in the series. They're great

If you have an interest in Native Americans ... any of the books by these authors are some of the best works to be found .. they lived with them, earned their respect and trust, write truthfully and give a feeling as to what it was like. (Thank you Graywolf for steering me in their direction)

Thomas E Mails ... * Mystic Warriors Of The Plains * Dog Soldier Societies * Etc. ...
Books by Thomas E. Mails - Bibliography and List of Works

George Bird Grinnell ... * The Cheyenne Indians Vol 1 & 2 * Blackfoot Lodge Tales * The Fighting Cheyennes * Etc. ... George Bird Grinnell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

John G Neihardt ... * Black Elk Speaks * Etc. ... John Neihardt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Richard Erdoes ... * American Indian Myths And Legends * Crow Dog * Lame Deer Seeker Of Visions * Etc. ... Richard Erdoes: books by Richard Erdoes @ BookFinder.com

Kent Nerburn ... * Neither Wolf Nor Dog * Chief Joseph & The Fliight Of The Nez Perce * Etc. (I'm reading this now)...
http://www.newworldlibrary.com/client/client_pages/authorbios/bios/nerburn.cfm
... autographed/limited works ... Autographed Books by Kent Nerburn

I have spent many enjoyable hours reading the above listed works and learned much truth about the Natives of this continent ..

Gonna have to agree with the comments about the Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy and most others of the series .. great fun to read

Gonna have to agree with the comments about the Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy and most others of the series .. great fun to read

I have been a huge Douglas Adams fan for years... I just wish he had written more before he passed away. Don't miss his Dirk Gently detective novels too - Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, and The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul.

There was also a posthumous collection of his works published called The Salmon of Doubt. It has a partially completed novel to start, but the interesting part to me was the collection of essays, speeches, and such that are collected here. It is a great airplane or beach read, just one small snippet at a time. The bit about why NOT to ride a Manta Ray was priceless.

I just finished Salman Rushdie's The Enchantress of Florence - what an absolutely enchanting read. The man does things with words like no one else. It is set during the Renaissance, moves from Florence, Italy to the Mughal Empire and all points in between... the plot is really hard to condense here, but if you are a Rushdie fan, and you haven't read it yet, just go and get it.

I won't presume to tell you what you "must read" Ann Marie, but i will tell you that that I personally use vacation time to read things that inspire me to improve my footing in this life.

I could give you a whole bibliography of books about meditation and Buddhism but I won't unless it's your cup of tea. On a general note I'll suggest that if you're the least bit curious about the topic that you look into American writers who teach meditation and ways to integrate this into your daily life. The American writers have the cultural "baggage" to get across what they're saying without confusing you or making it sound like some kind of middle-ages allegory. The Tibetan writers, however astounding they might be as people, lack the ability on the whole to write it down in a way that the average (North) American finds comprehensible.

If you're looking for "fun" books to read then I would suggest a couple of the "made for the beach" novels by Umberto Eco ("the Name of the Rose" comes to mind). Anne Rice writes some astonishingly well written books that grab you by the throat and don't let go until you've finished them. Dan Brown (the guy from the Da Vinci Code) has written some books that read away completely effortlessly. One of each will keep you going for a few days and leave you feeling like you read something that was worth your time.

R..

"I have been a huge Douglas Adams fan for years..."
Cavewoman - Did you read Last Chance to See?
I don'' know how many times I've read it, and it may be time for another!

"I have been a huge Douglas Adams fan for years..."
Cavewoman - Did you read Last Chance to See?
I don'' know how many times I've read it, and it may be time for another!

You know, I think that is the only one I never did find. And now I am kind of in English book purgatory! I'll put that on my list of things to ask people to bring down. You will note my sig line... :D

I'll be in CZM in late June/early July. I could keep an eye out for a copy if you want to make the crossing to get it...

Must be reading with my eyes closed - didn't pick up the sig line...
I liked the quote about our being predators, of plants if nothing else. 'Course you might not know it since you've been unable to read LCTS...

Your sig line does indicate that it's time for another reading. That line would've stuck with me now; it didn't last time I read it...

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom