"Must" dives in Tobermory

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abitton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Planning 4 2-dive days in Tobermory in early August.

I have never been there, but heard lots of good things!!

To those whop know the place well, what are the top spots/charters, assuming day dives, up to ~100 ft

Thanks!!

Alex

http://www.gswatersports.com/charters/dive_charter.html

My buddies go out with them every year.

Bring your log book. Tobermory is the only place I've ever had anyone ask. This was on the way to the Niagra so I understand and respect them for it.

Its been years for me, but we also did a shallow dive where you enter a small swim-through and pop up in a large cathedral. Hikers take turns jumping off the upper ledge into the water. Very cool and is safe if you have someone guiding you so you stay clear of the swimmers.

Go shore diving as well.

Was just there last weekend. Great place. Dove with G+S Watersports and was really treated well.

The Arabia and the Niagra II were good dives. They've done a really nice job of punching holes in the Niagra and so you can easily check out her inards.

I've been to Tobe many, many times. My favorite dive is The Arabia. It's cold, it's deep and it's gained a reputation for being dangerous. My belief is that the bad rep is a result of less than experienced divers diving her. If you are comfortable with the depth and an experience wreck diver, make sure to dive her at least once.

I've dove with both Diver's Den and G&S - both are good shops. It really depends what charter boat / captain you get.

hermosadive:
Its been years for me, but we also did a shallow dive where you enter a small swim-through and pop up in a large cathedral. Hikers take turns jumping off the upper ledge into the water. Very cool and is safe if you have someone guiding you so you stay clear of the swimmers.

Go shore diving as well.

The shallow dive mentioned is called 'The Caves'. I've surprised many a hiker by popping up in the cavern. Even some less than fully clothed! The Caves aren't my favorite dives but can be fun if thrown in as a third dive or as necessary to get away from the elements / currents.

My favorite shallow wreck is The City of Cleveland. It's a bit further out so not all operators can / will go. It's got some great machinery and ship stuff to make this a very fun and interesting dive.

If you are an information 'nut' (I am!), make sure to get a book about the wrecks of Tobermory.

Paula

I've missed out on my LDS's trips to Toby for the last 3 years!! Something always comes up!!

On my to do list
The Arabia
The Forest City

cameron:
grab some 3mix if you are doing the forest city!! too see the bottom at least...

Forget the Forest City unless you want to go deeper than the 100' limit in your original request.

diver_paula:
Forget the Forest City unless you want to go deeper than the 100' limit in your original request.

Have to agree. Did the Forest City on Sunday and there was not much of her that was very interesting above 100' . Dove on EAN24 to see the stern at 150' and was so narced that it really wasn't much fun. The painted letters on the stern are very hard to see and wasted so much time that I didn't get to see much of the really intersting structure that is inside the hull.

We had Bill (cool local guy) and Perry (G+S Owner) as captains. Both were good. Bill actually had to deal with a bit drama when the line leading from the Arabia marker to the boat snapped in 3-4 foot swells and wind. With me on the marker, a diver driftin loose (he realized what happend and decided to swim for the marker rather than climb back in the boat) and another ready to jump in, Bill handled it like it was nothing. He had the boat back on the marker and the third diver in the water before the surprised look left my face.

darkstar:
Have to agree. Did the Forest City on Sunday and there was not much of her that was very interesting above 100' . Dove on EAN24 to see the stern at 150' and was so narced that it really wasn't much fun. ...........[snip].....................

A good reason to take NAUI's Helitrox course!! :crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom