Music While Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There used to be a company making underwater housing for a iriver mp3 player. It was called H2O audio and there were two version available. The 200' rated one would hold an iFP-300 series player and the 300' rated one would hold an iFP-700 series player. They can occasionally be found in the used market but not often and they usually go for more than the new price ($199) was back then. The biggest problem with them was that the cord for the headphone would fail and either leak or have a wire inside broken and render them useless.

The same company made an idive-300 that would house an ipod so you could watch movies at 300' of depth too.

I have both and use them on my long decos all the time. I could not imagine doing many hours of deco without music or movies.

Good luck finding one. They are as rare as rocking horse poo.

I didn't spend all that money on a rebreather so that I could hear "Ted Nugent" more clearly underwater. What's the point ? Enjoy your dive, and "listen for boats passing overhead".

Does anyone actually listen to Ted Nugent anywhere, at any time, on purpose?

Last edited:
For deco music would be awesome. Not so much for listening during the dive.

One of my buddies has some waterproof earbuds setup he uses for deco stops. I think he called it an aqua pod. Magnetic chessboards work pretty good for killing time as well.

We did a dive where someone on a yacht had their music blaring so bad we could hear it all during the dive. drove me NUTS! (altho some say I haven't far to go on a "normal" day). Ruined the dive for me. I can understand someone doing long decos maybe wanting the distraction but I sure wouldn't want to be anywhere near them while they listened to it. Noise pollution is something I have to put up with living in the suburbs of a huge city. I want to escape the above water world not drag it down there with me.

Given the number of times I have seen somebody almost killed because they were into the music and it made them less situationally aware of things like a coming car, and I want to be into the nature, I say no. Diving can lure you into complacency as it is. I don't want music in the water. I also do not want it on the boat since the speaker system is usually not very good.

Having said that, back when I snow skied I often played a song in my head and I thought of skiing as doing a dance with the mountain where the varying mountain terrain led and I followed.

Was doing my first dive in a fiord north of vancouver. There was a heavy algae bloom overhead. So it was like a night dive. DM I was with had a video camera and we were using his lights. We were going down a shallow narrow canyon lined with large upright anemones. All I could hear in my head was the music from the scene in the movie Aliens when they entered the ship with the pods.

One of my favorite dive operators will not allow music or anything but a Marine Required radio on the dive boat. He says when divers are in the water he wants the boat crew with no distractions, alert and watching for divers in trouble. I feel a heap safer diving from his boat because of it. I was impressed on a dive I sat out, he knew where all his divers were and even knew which divers in some cases. He knew from the bubbles about current and had a mermaid line ready to throw when he saw a couple divers were ascending and were going to get caught in cross currents!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom