Music While Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some folks apparently do use them for deco. An audiobook for 90 mins sitting on a log isn't a bad idea, esp. if you have sat 90min on that same a log dozens of times.

I've read several very good reviews about Audioflood's waterproof iPod shuffle. Best price seems to be through Amazon.com. I want one for swimming laps but haven't had the extra cash yet.

I can understand that as, without some form of distraction, sitting/floating anywhere for 90 mins is going to get very boring very quickly. There are only so many times you can practise drills etc. I would imagine that they would tend to keep it to themselves though.

As for boats playing music underwater, I would object to that both from an enjoyment and safety point of view. I want to be able to hear it if someone is banging their tank to attract attention (for whatever reason) or to hear the sounds of ocean life. I can play as much music as I like above the water during the other 99% of my life.

Another example of humans' desire, willingness, and ability to screw up the perfect and pristine environments that we were blessed with on our Earth. To me, one of the magical joys of diving is listening to nothing but the sounds of nature and my own breathing. Exceptions of course for sounds contributing to safety and recall.

I don't think that you really meant that we, by using a personal underwater audio player, are screwing the perfect environment. I seldom to never use it but after you have dived the same quarry hundreds of times it is cool to change it up a bit.
Now if you really want to give an example of screwing up a pristine environment, check out the thousands of divers trying to get pictures. Holding onto everything available, laying on the bottom, scaring away the sea life, etc., etc.

I spent my time underwater listening to whales and other reef creatures. It's always interesting to hear all of the chatter. I can't imagine drowning out the reef sounds with music.

If I ever got into deco I would go nuts hanging around on a line for any more than 10 minutes, let alone an hour or more. THEN, I would want music, or much better-- some sort of TV/video to watch.

If I ever got into deco I would go nuts hanging around on a line for any more than 10 minutes, let alone an hour or more. THEN, I would want music, or much better-- some sort of TV/video to watch.
Someone needs to invent an underwater version of Scrabble or similar for deco divers.:yeahbaby:

You could always bring your Ipad and read a book . I've seen a number of divers using Ipads for underwater cameras:wink:

Someone needs to invent an underwater version of Scrabble or similar for deco divers.:yeahbaby:

Actually that makes me think of some of those in-car games they have, or even the old slider puzzles. Something like that would be pretty neat in large size (for drygloves). We have lots of sites with one main entry point and a relatively limited shallow area where deco divers will always find themselves. It's frequently pretty there, but maybe not more than 30 min worth of pretty.

Last edited:
Some folks apparently do use them for deco. An audiobook for 90 mins sitting on a log isn't a bad idea, esp. if you have sat 90min on that same a log dozens of times.

I've read several very good reviews about Audioflood's waterproof iPod shuffle. Best price seems to be through Amazon.com. I want one for swimming laps but haven't had the extra cash yet.

I had a look into that Audioflood iPod. I know what I am asking for on my birthday. Thanks @FinnMom

Maybe I should add that there is no sea life sounds in the caves. There are times that I really do not want to just listen to the motor and prop from my scooter.

The Harley solution to engine/road noise is either loud pipes or loud stereo. Maybe toss your iPod and speakers inside the scooter housing and go for a ride. If the volume is high enough you should be able to hear it.

Ride past another group of Divers with a scooter making v8, motorcycle, or even galloping horse noises might get a few looks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom