Museum interested in my artifact

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blacksambellamy

Contributor
Reaction score
I have just proven all those people who say leave artifacts on the ocean floor wrong. Yesterday i contacted the National Maritime museum in England and advised them of my find (below) to see if they had any interest in displaying it. They put me in contact with a few local museums in England and i will soon be making arraignments to ship it over.
Object was found on the City Of Salisbury an English ship that sunk in boston Harbor.

See find below

http://i7.tinypic.com/2552df5.jpg

http://i8.tinypic.com/2552ez5.jpg

See before and after pictures here

Cool.

Very nice man, good job, now all that people who judge you can go and see the artifact if they want to or even better they can shut the f*&^# up...

Cool congrats. Are you getting it back or it will stay down there forever?

Hmmm. That looks like a wurzel flange if ever I saw one. Nice and shiny tho.

Are you sure it's from the wreck and not dumped? It looks just like the flange in the toilet I changed last week.

If it is from the wreck, nice to see that some things have been perfected, if they are still making them the same way. Nice job on the restoration, as well.

The amount of encrustation on this flange tells me its old. Also the type of bolts prove its old. The flange still has the copper pipe attached and the pipe has all the signs of being blasted ...the pipe was literally ripped in half. If you dont know the history of the ship it was blasted to remove the wreckage. If all thats not enough the flange was found under a huge chunk of wreckage. So if someone dumped it there they would have had to(by chance) dump it over the wreck site and then the flange would have had to sink to the bottom and drift under the wreck debris. I find all this impossible.
You stated you installed a flange recently like its a modern invention. The history of the flange goes way back long before the 1930's when this ship was built.

this flange is about 25 lbs of solid brass and about 15 inches wide not a common everyday plumbing item and definitely not something you would use on a toilet.

I must admit i have a keen eye around wreck sites and objects on the ocean floor. I find things most divers pass by. Thank you for your complements on the preservation i worked hard at it and its not an easy process.

Nice work BlackSam! Yet more vindication that the artifact diver need not be some academic welfare recipient archeologist. More knowledge about historical shipwrecks and their eras have come from salvors and recreational divers than will ever come from the acedemic elites. You're doing us proud!

octotat:
Nice work BlackSam! Yet more vindication that the artifact diver need not be some academic welfare recipient archeologist. More knowledge about historical shipwrecks and their eras have come from salvors and recreational divers than will ever come from the acedemic elites. You're doing us proud!

Thank you very much that means a lot to me.

Hey bub, you keep doing this stuff, you're going to make the intellectual weenies have to actually work for a living. Geez.

thanks Tom,

I hope to get a few more dives in this season and with any luck i will pull some more artifacts up. If i do i will post them here.

Back
Top Bottom