Mt storm is open!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The word is there are three conditions.

1. Divers must pick up their trash and keep the area clean.

2. All divers must use the diver entry area, meaning the step area, and are not to enter the water near the boat dock.

3. Divers are to use as little parking space as possible. If you bring a tarp, or tent or canopy it is to be infront of your vehicle and not beside it. In other words, only one spot per vehicle.

Should not be too hard to abide by. We must get the word out to others that we see up there. I have seen divers with big campers or motor homes or trailors take up way to much space. As for numbers 1 and 2, I feel we have been good citizens here.

Thanks to all for your efforts to get us back in the H2O.

These rules seem like common sense and common curtsy to me. It should have never come to this point in the first place.

These rules seem like common sense and common curtsy to me. It should have never come to this point in the first place.

Agreed, the irony is, it was problems between the boaters and swimmers that started it all, the divers were not involved and got caught in the crossfire.

I am glad you guys are able to dive MT. storm again I did my check out dives there in 1995. It is the best place to dive in that area.

Hey Jim,

Did not here anything about the boaters or swimmers. But the word is that the DNR is going to be keeping a closer eye on things, and will be enforcing. And as you posted earlier it was in fact the DNR that pulled the plug on us the first time. . .
I was at Mount Storm this weekend (Aug. 20-21), and DNR showed up on Sunday. I was mid-dive at the time (and missed the show), but apparently there were fireworks. Several swimmers were told to leave and not come back, and the boaters . . . well, let's just say one (rather stupid) group of boaters found out just how badly a pissed-off DNR agent can ruin your life.

So if you're going to be at Mt. Storm in the near future, mind your manners: there's pretty much a zero tolerance policy right now. Granted, DNR was only there for about an hour, but by all accounts they were looking for any excuse to crack heads, regardless of group (diver, swimmer, or boater).

Oh, and as for the future plans: the people who actually talked to the DNR agents got the impression that next year the swimmers will get their own area. That way, there's no overlap, and DNR will know who to chew out. Of course, nothing's official yet - but that's the current rumor.

Guys, I am close friends with most of the Natural Resources Police(DNR) in the area. The problem was not with divers, but swimmers. However the problem was how can you enforce the no swimming policy and law when divers are swimming within 100 feet of the same area. I know it's apples and oranges, but public perception play huge in areas like this, and when most of the swimming public is local, there were problems.

Sounds great, thanks.

Last edited:
Anyone been to Mt. Storm lately? Conditions? Visibility?

I am going there tomorrow.

that sounds like cool waters...I was there on Oct. 7, water temp from surface down to 60 ft. was 74 degrees F., poor viz, maybe 4 to 6 feet. still a neat dive, though.

Back
Top Bottom