Mt storm is open!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The word is there are three conditions.

1. Divers must pick up their trash and keep the area clean.

2. All divers must use the diver entry area, meaning the step area, and are not to enter the water near the boat dock.

3. Divers are to use as little parking space as possible. If you bring a tarp, or tent or canopy it is to be infront of your vehicle and not beside it. In other words, only one spot per vehicle.

Should not be too hard to abide by. We must get the word out to others that we see up there. I have seen divers with big campers or motor homes or trailors take up way to much space. As for numbers 1 and 2, I feel we have been good citizens here.

Thanks to all for your efforts to get us back in the H2O.

Thanks Mike. None of those are too hard to deal with. And agree setting up a compound with one vehicle is kinda ridiculous. I always try to get anyone that is with me to park close enough that when I set my canopy up we both can use it and it takes up less space than both cars. What are they going to do for the swimmers? Any info on that? As for picking up after ourselves that's an easy one. We are usually picking up after all the others that use the place including the boaters, swimmers, and fishermen.

Hey Jim,

Did not here anything about the boaters or swimmers. But the word is that the DNR is going to be keeping a closer eye on things, and will be enforcing. And as you posted earlier it was in fact the DNR that pulled the plug on us the first time.

I think everyone (the divers) handled themselves with class and got this thing resolved.

I am going to go up this weekend and finish up outstanding check out dives while the gettin' is good. :D

Thanks Mike. None of those are too hard to deal with. And agree setting up a compound with one vehicle is kinda ridiculous. I always try to get anyone that is with me to park close enough that when I set my canopy up we both can use it and it takes up less space than both cars. What are they going to do for the swimmers? Any info on that? As for picking up after ourselves that's an easy one. We are usually picking up after all the others that use the place including the boaters, swimmers, and fishermen.

Hi guys:

Good news about mt. storm being open.

One of the employee's of the power company told me that dnr was behind it and he stated that the people at the plant supported us divers .
Hey...rules are rules and i can live with them. :)

sam

Yes, Storm is open for diving again. However, there are on going negotiations that will take place over the winter with new rules, policies and expectations that will likely take place beginning with the new dive season in 2012. In the meantime all the points highlighted by WVMIKE should be followed. We aren't completely out of the woods yet but at least we are diving. :O)

Again the DNR does not own the lake, they only lease the parking area and boat launching area. Diving was stopped by the direction of the lake owners, Dominion, and enforced by the DNR as a result. Safe diving, enjoy.

What and where is the Mt Storm that you speakith of??

Mount Storm is a lake in north east West Virginia. It is man made and is used for cooling water in a coal fired power plant. It is essentially a heated lake and because of that is used for training dives by dive shops from PA, MD, OH, VA, and WV.

Scuba at Mount Storm, WV. mtstorm

Mount Storm Lake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's a few links, the wiki article isn't that accurate. the vis usually is not that good. There are platforms, two at 24 feet, one at 50 feet and one at 90 feet. The deepest spot in the diving area is around 125 feet.

Yes, Storm is open for diving again. However, there are on going negotiations that will take place over the winter with new rules, policies and expectations that will likely take place beginning with the new dive season in 2012. In the meantime all the points highlighted by WVMIKE should be followed. We aren't completely out of the woods yet but at least we are diving. :O)

Again the DNR does not own the lake, they only lease the parking area and boat launching area. Diving was stopped by the direction of the lake owners, Dominion, and enforced by the DNR as a result. Safe diving, enjoy.

Thanks for the update Mike. We dove Storm today and it was a real nice day. Vis was the best I have seen in a long time, a good 10 to 15 feet around the shallow platforms. Water temps around 92 degrees, quite a few divers, a hand full of boaters and no swimmers. All was calm and clear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom