Mt Storm and scuba? Conflicting information needs clarifying

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Lapenta

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have received a few emails concerning this over the last few days and one thread in this forum was supposed to be udpated but never was. Here is what I have been able to find so far:
From Dominion Power site:

Scuba and Water Sports at Mt. Storm Lake

Water from Mt. Storm Lake (a.k.a., VEPCO Lake) is circulated through the power station to provide cooling, and this raises the overall temperature of the water. Even when winter temperatures are below freezing, the water temperature in the lake seldom drops below 60 degrees F. This makes the lake an attractive year-round destination for scuba divers, boaters and fishermen.
West Virginia Department of Natural Resources (WVDNR) currently leases from Dominion a 4.6 acre parcel of land on the lake for the sole purpose of boat launching and parking, along with fishing. Particularly during warmer seasons, the area can become quite busy. To maintain the safety of visitors, certain guidelines have been established.

Scuba and Swimming Regulations
Over the last several years, swimming in and around the boat launching dock area increased significantly to the point that it interfered with boat launching activities. The close proximity of boats to swimmers created an unsafe environment, so swimming and wading from the leased shore area is strictly prohibited by law.
Prior to this area being leased to WVDNR, scuba diving was allowed in an area adjacent to — but part of — this parcel. For some years, diving was allowed from shore, but as steadily increasing traffic created higher risks, it became necessary to revise the regulations. Scuba diving is still allowed, but divers must access the scuba diving area via a launched pontoon or other suitable boat, away from the boat launch area. Diving directly from the shore is not permitted.
The "no swimming" rule will be strictly enforced both in the Boat Dock Launch and shoreline areas by the West Virginia Department of Natural Resources. (> View more information on DNR regulations.) There is limited parking in this area, so scuba trailers and related vehicles are to be promptly off-loaded, then relocated to another area to allow public access and parking in the immediate area. Divers must also follow appropriate state laws and safe diving protocol, using floating markers (dive flags), etc.

From another website here that is saying updated 3/23-2012:
Scuba at Mount Storm, WV. mtstorm

Update March 23, 2012
Again, All swimming and Diving is currently PROHIBITED at Mount Storm Public Boat access. " italics mine"

Now the way this last posting reads could be interpreted in a few ways. First is that diving and swimming were NEVER permitted from the boat docks. This was understood and clearly marked. However a number of locals continued to use the boat ramp as a swim platform. This caused problems with boaters, many of whom were not from the area and felt like they had more rights than people who lived there. Now the issue did become a safety concern as anyone who has witnessed the actions of many of these same boaters could clearly see they had little regard for anyone other than themselves. So now it seems the entire parking area is defined as the boat access area and only those people are allowed unfettered access. Ever see some of them park a trailer? They should not even have drivers licenses.

What did this have to do with divers who were using an area completely separate from the ramp itself for entry to the lake?

Simple, when the DNR decided to crack down on swimmers they complained about the divers also not being in boats. So in a typical government kneejerk reaction they kicked us out as well. Now it seems they are continuing to persecute a large segment of the population that used the lake. Swimmers and divers. There was talk of them actually setting up and developing a swimmer/diver friendly entrance and area. That seems to have gone by the wayside in favor of the boaters. Now divers are not even permitted to park in the area adjacent to the steps leading down into the water according to the notice on the Dominion Power site.

I was somewhat involved in the effort to get the area reopened last year. During this time it came out that one of the DNR people for some reason does not like divers. This person was reported to go out of his way to nail them for some infraction. If this is still the case and the whole reason for denying divers access to the lake is based on trumped up reasons of liablility, littering, taking up parking, etc., I am not even going to bother doing anything this year.

While the loss of Mt Storm is going to be hard for many, I myself have gotten away from using it as an OW training site in favor of closer locations. Not as warm, and shallower, but less travel time and with better access to support services. What will be difficult now is AOW and Deep training. Those will now require longer overnight trips to Ohio, Eastern Pa, or Lake Erie and the accompanying cold waters. But at the same time much more diver friendly.

I do hope some progress is made on this. But it will have to be made by others as I do not have the time to take on another cause. If you want Storm reopened don't just come on here and complain or ask questions. Call the Power Plant, call WVa DNR, call the WVa governors office and get on them yourself. I am going to send a copy of this post to all of them.

And while you are at it maybe infrom them that you will not be doing business with any of the local shops and hotels in the area. Those are the people the powers that be are hurting.

---------- Post added at 11:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

Just as an aside the owner and one of the DM's from the shop I work with were down there a few weeks ago doing a drysuit class and talked to a Fish Commission(?) officer and a few boaters and nothing was said about them being there and diving from shore.

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 AM ----------

bob.williams@wvsenate.gov
allen.evans@wvhouse.gov
davesypolt@wvsenate.com

Here are the email addresses for the state reps for the Mt Storm area. I sent copies to them as well.

---------- Post added at 01:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

Just got a reply from the plant representative, Mr. Ford.
There is no shore diving permitted in the entire boat launch area. Scuba is permitted if you are diving from a boat.

That means for me, unless things change, I will no longer be going to Mt Storm. I do wonder if shore diving from an area outside of the boat launch is possbile though? Anyone know if there is another access to the lake that would not involve using that area or know someone with property that would allow access through it?

If the response from Mr Ford is accurate and legal... you already have your answer!
See you topside! John

Was discussing that with another instructor and we were unable to come to a consensus. Whatever is decided the reasons given by DNR and Dominion Power are shaky at best in my opinion.

I hope it can be worked out!
I live close to many bodies of water, I would hate to have someone tell me I am not allowed to dive them unless from a boat.
See you topside! John

Just sent an email to the Director of the West Virginia Dept of Tourism on this matter. So far the Governor, US Senators for WVa, and the state senators and reps for WVa have not responded. I am urging others to contact these people and not allow another dive site and prime training area to be lost.

I'll send some emails out too. Thanks for the info Jim. I saw the closing listed somewhere else, and I thought it was old news that hadn't been updated. I didn't know this was still an issue.

any news on diving mt storm ?

Back
Top Bottom