MSDT Prep Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Honestly if I had a passport i would have gone out of the US to a place that wasnt in a rush. instead of 9 days like 14 days. But... since no passport, no travel.
I am just really hoping that I am prepared for everything. I have been studying, taking practice test, writing out the skills, rereading, and doing it all over again.
I know that it is up to the diver on how much they put into it. I just dont want to get cocky just want to be confident in what I learn.
I have seen some things about how they grade and what are critical mistakes and what can ok but I dont know where it was to reference it and know for sure. Then again it could all be speculation since I dont know how the evaluators are associated, if any, or if they are independent. Or am i just wondering about the wrong things? LOL

Honestly if I had a passport i would have gone out of the US to a place that wasnt in a rush. instead of 9 days like 14 days. But... since no passport, no travel.
I am just really hoping that I am prepared for everything. I have been studying, taking practice test, writing out the skills, rereading, and doing it all over again.
I know that it is up to the diver on how much they put into it. I just dont want to get cocky just want to be confident in what I learn.
I have seen some things about how they grade and what are critical mistakes and what can ok but I dont know where it was to reference it and know for sure. Then again it could all be speculation since I dont know how the evaluators are associated, if any, or if they are independent. Or am i just wondering about the wrong things? LOL

Remember that they have zero desire to see you fail. The DM skill circuit is just practice and when you think you are doing the skills slow enough, do them slower! As for the IDC/IE...it is setup for you to pass.

I did very well in my IDC but on the days of the IE I was a mess. I got physically ill twice due to nerves. This could be because I had left my entire life behind to catch this dream I have had since I was a young buck. However, other than an error which I believe I mentioned above, I aced my IE. After the IE the examiner and my CD said that IE stood for "Its Easy"

The CD who is teaching you does not want you to fail and the examiners do not want you to fail either. Study the theory and work your butt off in the pool and open water and you will do great.

My issue with these condensed courses is they don’t teach how to deal with the slow learning student, or how to adapt a lesson to teach an alternative method if the standard one isn’t working. For example, mask clearing.
Do you know this for a fact or are you guessing they do not teach that?

Do you know this for a fact or are you guessing they do not teach that?
Over the years I’ve come across a number of new instructors who don’t know how to deal with a slow student. This is not agency specific. It also doesn’t mean none are taught, but it is usually those who did consolidated courses.

One of the main drawbacks of a combination course is it doesn't allow for a period of consolidation between each vital step.

I'm sure you're a sensible person and clearly have a desire to learn and perform well. My one piece of unwarranted advice would be to spend quite a long time team-teaching / DMing and being mentored after you've got your ticket. This is were you'll gain the real-world knowledge and experience to become, not just a qualified instructor, but a good and safe instructor. Don't be tempted or persuaded to go it alone for quite a while. There is no substitute for experience.

Thats true. Should have been thinking about that part. That they dont want us to fail. I am in the same boat as you were. I am leaving my whole life behind to chase this dream. I think that is one of things that makes me nervous about it all. I am literally driving my car 1100 miles, packed with my scuba equipment, clothes and all the money i have, on a do or die with the schooling. I have to pass it all.

When I was in school I was the slow learning kid. I might have a slight advantage with knowing how to teach them. :)

I honestly have to say that every one has given great advice. Thanks very much for it all.

When I was in school I was the slow learning kid. I might have a slight advantage with knowing how to teach them. :)
It isn’t so much the slow learning, it’s being able to teach an alternate method. For example, there are at least three ways to teach how to put fins on. If you’ve only been shown one in your instructor training, you could be stumped if your student can’t do it that way.

The objective is to get them to be able to fit a pair of fins safely, the method is secondary.

The idc teaches you to teach following padi standards, it teaches you how to find padi standards and it teaches you theory.

You will spend hours doing confined water and open water presentations for practice. You’ll spend hours doing skill demonstrations. You’ll do the rescue excercise till you scream. You’ll spend hours watching videos and learning how to complete paperwork.

You’ll get all worked up and twisted in knots before the IE and it’ll be over just like blinking your eyes - it is easy, just don’t kill a student and you’ll pass.

We have programs just like you’re doing all the way to six month internships - what you are going to lack at the end of all this is experience and maybe some confidence. Hopefully you will recognize that when it’s all over - the experience of working with many different instructors teaching different types of classes is priceless.

The msdt portion will probably just get you three more specialty certs so that when you have logged enough students, you can apply for msdt. They cost money, if you’re not going to be teaching that specialty, I would think twice about it - While I dive in a dry suit and have plenty of experience to self certify for it, I don’t think I’ll ever teach a dry suit class in Cozumel. On the other side of that, I’m certified to teach you sidemount but unless you’re diving the same configuration as I am, I won’t teach you because I’m just not confident enough to give you a fantastic class, some day but not today.

Good luck, it can be a lot of fun!

True, but the goal of an IDC / IE is to learn how to teach within a certain method, not to cover each and every aspect you possibly might encounter. That is something that comes with experience, and if you do for example a few hundred DSDs as a DM (DSD leader), you can use that experience later on to build on. This is one of the reasons why I (and others) recommended building experience, but like in this case, quick courses do exist, are allowed and do offer value. In the end, you simply need to tick the boxes to pass. As long as you have the right attitude afterwards, all will be fine.
The OP seems to be passionate, willing to learn and seems to accept that after becoming an instructor, there is a lot of learning to do still. Seems the right mindset to me.
Like said before, make sure to get a descent amount of real life experience, and remember that it is YOUR signature on a certification. If YOU are not certain somebody should pass a course, it is YOUR rightful judgement call to refuse to sign off the certificate. No pressure from the school or operator should change that. This is one of the tricky bits, because you will encounter scenarios where money / time / feelings will push you towards easy solutions. Take an extra hour, do another dive, do whatever you need to do to deliver safe divers. This mindset will drive you to work with more seasoned instructors if needed and help building experience in though cases.
Enjoy it and keep us posted!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom