Mr 100 Dive Wonder Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't mind the long narrative. However, the narrative, to me anyways, seems to be of someone full of themselves. I'm a DM with alot more experience that this newbie Instructor. I think I will disrespect him, not follow his instructions, try to show him up to his students and his CD. You seem like a real swell guy.

You missed the entire point of the story. The brand new instructor was completely disregarding safety protocols and endangering the students. I wouldn't follow his instructions either, especially if they involved deliberately going against established safety procedures.
I believe that the real issue was the instructor's attitude. I can see someone making an honest mistake and then correcting it...but this guy threw all caution to the wind.

BTW...disrespect is a noun, not a verb. :wink:

dis‧re‧spect  /ˌdɪsrɪˈspɛkt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[dis-ri-spekt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun 1. lack of respect; discourtesy; rudeness.
–verb (used with object) 2. to regard or treat without respect; regard or treat with contempt or rudeness.

Usually the transitive verb form of "disrespect" is used informally. I prefer formal English. :wink:
Either way, back to your regularly scheduled thread. :)

You took a whole page to describe how an instructor wieghted down his students too much.

I agree a lot of instructors overwieght there students without explaining why, and without helping them with there decent skillz, and then reducing that wieght. I was just stating you took an effing long time to explain this. I dont know why stamina is involved, i just couldnt handle the tedious plot of this novel you chose to write as a post!
Wonderful story, well told. I've had three good instructors, and one like your friend - but the bad one was for Nitrox only, and I could correct for his mistakes.

SparticleBrane:
You missed the entire point of the story. The brand new instructor was completely disregarding safety protocols and endangering the students. I wouldn't follow his instructions either, especially if they involved deliberately going against established safety procedures.
I believe that the real issue was the instructor's attitude. I can see someone making an honest mistake and then correcting it...but this guy threw all caution to the wind.

BTW...disrespect is a noun, not a verb. :wink:

We must be reading 2 entirely different stories. He is ready to bail on the class on the very 1st dive cause the instructor overweighed a student. Yea, sounds like a very level headed individual to me. Add to the fact that he is probably bending the story to make himself look a little better and the instructor a little worse.

Maule, your a cold blooded straight shooter.. if your ever in Japan you should look me up.. haha, your probably right about the whole situation but i can only take what i read. I really dont think it was his amount of dives that had 100% to do with his actions. My OW instructor(who i have the utmost respect for besides this one thing) is a staff instructor with thousands of dives. my first ow dive he gave me 15 pounds of weight with a small bcd even though i had been using a medium bcd all thru the confined water courses.. This 15 pounds and the small bcd caused me to barely stay above water. I kept hearing this leaking sound and he told me i just over filled my bcd. I asked him why am i not floating above water like i was and he said he gave me a small bcd this time. He said he figured id much rather be comfortable then to be able to float... i was like ***? im slim build but im heavier than i look because i dont have that much fat. It sucked for doing surface work when i couldnt keep my mouth above the water.. anyway, everyone can make bad choices.. That instructor is an awesome diver and i learned alot from him. But he also over weights students.. i guess its just the thing to do!

I guess I've gotten lucky in always having very good extremely experienced instructors, and have always been trained 1 on 1 with them. (Just worked out that way). I do know my shop has a few other instructors I wouldn't even consider going on a fun dive with though...

I think most Instructors are good, and agency standards are okay, but it may be helpful to review the horror stories. :11:

Back
Top Bottom