mp72 vs 80hp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James S

Reaction score
Hello,
I was looking at the numbers (weight, height ect...) for the PST (steel) 72 and the 80 and they are very close except for the fact that the 80 holds more air! Is one really better than the other, is there any point to the 72 or should I just go buy the 80?

Most people buy the Alum 80 because they hold more. They've become the "standard" stand now days. I see that tank more than any others.

However, there are still some people that like the lower volume steel tanks. Since they are steel, they weigh more which requires the diver to wear less weight on their waists. They are also smaller in physicaly size. Both of these are attractive features to divers who don't tanks that are as big. A perfect example of a diver like this is a child or a smaller frame/body woman. I know one woman who dives steel 72's because with that tank in freshwater she doesn't have to wear any weights. She she's near the size of a full size male counterpart, she doesn't use near the air consupmtion, so she doesn't need as big of a tank.

-mike

Thanks for the quick reply Mike, but I was asking about the PST 72mp vs the PST 80hp. The 72 has an outside diameter of 6.9, length is 20.75 and the 80 is 7.25 in diameter and 20 inches in length. The buoyancy difference is slight and the 80 weighs less empty. So my question is...is the mp72 worth looking at? It seems like the 80 is a better choice, but I know someone here has used both or has one and a buddy has the other.

I guess I can't really see a huge difference for you, other than dimensions. The 72 is a classic size though while the 80 is a more common size today. And although this isn't your question I will respond to something someone else said. AL80's are common because they are inexpensive, not because of their bouyancy characteristics or shape as a steel tank will have better bouyancy characteristics than an aluminum tank.

I say for that small of a difference, go bigger, a LP tank will give you a smaller swing i think.

My wife had an HP80 that I just got rid of. Once she started diving with me and my huge capacity tanks, the little squatty-body 80 didn't cut it anymore. I hated it on dive boats since it rested so deep in the cutout wells that it was a pain to wrench out.
The short tanks are great for short-statured divers though - the HP80 and 66 series tanks don't whack them in the head or the butt.
What's the price difference on the MP vs the HP? If this is the size tank you want, go for the best deal.

mrjcrickett:
Hello,
I was looking at the numbers (weight, height ect...) for the PST (steel) 72 and the 80 and they are very close except for the fact that the 80 holds more air! Is one really better than the other, is there any point to the 72 or should I just go buy the 80?
The 72MP is a 72 by virtue of the + rating, if it looses that at a future hydro it becomes a 66 or scrap.

If a HP fails a hydro can it be derated depending on the test results or is it straight to the scrap pile?

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom